Author Topic: Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????  (Read 23604 times)

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • bayferryman09's channel
Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:16:18 AM »
Now with the MV Caribou retired from the NS-NL service  :o, it made me wonder which vessel is (or will be) the new flagship of Marine Atlantic.  Does anyone know?? 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:19:36 AM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:31 AM »
Now with the MV Caribou retired from the NS-NL service  :o, it made me wonder which vessel is (or will be) the new flagship of Marine Atlantic.  Does anyone know??  

I've followed everything on Marine Atlantic before and after the National Marine Policy act of 1995 (when the crown corporation scaled back ferry service operations two years afterwards) and I'm always curious on changes at the corporation
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:24:10 AM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:48:42 AM »
Now with the MV Caribou retired from the NS-NL service  :o, it made me wonder which vessel is (or will be) the new flagship of Marine Atlantic.  Does anyone know?? 

I hope it will be the MV Atlantic Vision.

Kyle

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 01:30:20 AM »
Smallwood..then the Puttees..

Simply because of naming towards Newfoundland..I really dont think it well be the Vision .. a name that was chosen by contest ..and put to use for commercial and advertising purpose's ..it has no real tie to the Island or the country for that matter ..

Out of provincial pride ..it should be the Puttees..after Smallwood has been retired .

MHO!

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 03:10:20 AM »

Simply because of naming towards Newfoundland..I really dont think it well be the Vision .. a name that was chosen by contest ..and put to use for commercial and advertising purpose's ..it has no real tie to the Island or the country for that matter ..

Out of provincial pride ..it should be the Puttees..after Smallwood has been retired .

MHO!

maybe but im not big fan of the two new ferries.
I don't like the open deck on them. I like the Gulfspan ferries and Vision more.

Kyle
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:12:19 AM by Kyle Larabee »

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:30:02 AM »
Thruth be said ..

I would much rather the Vision hauled of Grand Bank and scuttled..or Labeled in the dictionary under Edsel.

:

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:01:04 PM »
In my opinion it should be the Atlantic Vision, as much as some people don't like her.Second up would be Blue Puttees because of it's nfld link.

Take Care
Jarrod
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 10:59:44 PM »
I agree with Kyle And Jarrod, the Vision should be the flagship!!  My reason, it's layed out differently and has a "cruise ship feel" to her.  8)  I also think MA had the Argentia route in mind for her when they initially chartered the vessel back in 2008  :) (I believe that MA was thinking for the long term before chartering her) The Blue Puttees and the Highlanders are more like "identical twins"!!  Smallwood and Caribou had some differences:   the Baccalieu lounge on deck 7 as well as a 6.75m draught, 41 cabins and day-nighter reclining seats on J&C Smallwood, compared to open deck space on deck 7, a 6.6m draught, 49 cabins and no day-nitghter recliners on Caribou. The flagship now should be the Smallwood until she's retired in the spring  ;D

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 11:06:39 PM »

MHO!

maybe but im not big fan of the two new ferries.
I don't like the open deck on them. I like the Gulfspan ferries and Vision more.

Kyle
I agree Kyle, I like the Gulfspan ships and the Atlantic Vision better than those European ferries!! I think the big open deck on the two new vessels make them look like a big freighter pretending to be a ferry (or the Leif Ericson's big brother ;D )!!!  Time will tell if they can handle the Cabot Strait. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:10:34 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 11:10:10 PM »
Last summer ,MA had eluded to the Vision,and how did not produce the results they had hoped ,and couldnt fore see keeping it after the charter..
There was talk of bringing in a sister to Vision,that didnt happen after it(Vision) cost MA more than $250,000 extra in Aug 2009 in overtime,lost bookings,free meals and refunds..This year was a little more streamlined ,extra staff,and overtime..all cost extra money...Ohh and dont forget the litigation involved around her and passenger carrying..

All those extra cabin's and berths aint so great..when a 3-5 hr turn around is considered

MHO..

Puttee's ..

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:13:41 PM by Gulfspan »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 11:29:16 PM »
They may or may not keep her.  A lot can change within the five year agreement.  I hope these new ships are temporary replacements and larger versions of the Gulfspan ferry (Gulfspan Generation 2) would be pressed into service within the next five to ten years 8) I can picture a new and larger MV Caribou in the future!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:13:55 AM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 02:40:04 AM »
They may or may not keep her.  A lot can change within the five year agreement.  I hope these new ships are temporary replacements and larger versions of the Gulfspan ferry (Gulfspan Generation 2) would be pressed into service within the next five to ten years 8) I can picture a new and larger MV Caribou in the future!!
That be great to have the Gulfspan Generation 2 ferries. ;D

Kyle

Offline mudddawg

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 04:36:40 AM »
I think any of them would make a great flagship for the fleet.  As for the open deck issue, they transported with the MV Freighter for years and no major problems.  Can't see these new ships being any different.  It would only probably be drop trailers on the open deck anyway.  Just my thought.

Gordon

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 04:11:04 PM »
Good point there Gordon...
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 05:45:53 PM »
I think any of them would make a great flagship for the fleet.  As for the open deck issue, they transported with the MV Freighter for years and no major problems.  Can't see these new ships being any different.  It would only probably be drop trailers on the open deck anyway.  Just my thought.

Gordon
I'm seeing your point too Gordon.  It would most likely be drop trailers on the open deck anyway!!!  And there wasn't any problems with the Atlantic Freighter neither, I totally forgot about her.  The Blue Puttees and Highlanders could also clear some backlog that have plagued MA in recent years.  I'm still hoping this is a short term fix for 5-7 years until they can have new builds(hoping for larger Gulfspan ships in the future).  The ships look great, I'm thinking there will be more available seating than on the Vision, and of course, affordable food for anyone complaining about the price to eat on her as well!! I didn't mind paying a lot since the quality of the food and what I ate in the buffet was well worth it!!  Also, the crew on board the ships are courteous and friendly!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk