Author Topic: Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????  (Read 23603 times)

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • bayferryman09's channel
Re: Which ship is the new Marine Atlantic flagship????
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »
I agree with Kyle And Jarrod, the Vision should be the flagship!!  My reason, it's layed out differently and has a "cruise ship feel" to her.  8)  I also think MA had the Argentia route in mind for her when they initially chartered the vessel back in 2008  :) (I believe that MA was thinking for the long term before chartering her) The Blue Puttees and the Highlanders are more like "identical twins"!!  Smallwood and Caribou had some differences:   the Baccalieu lounge on deck 7 as well as a 6.75m draught, 41 cabins and day-nighter reclining seats on J&C Smallwood, compared to open deck space on deck 7, a 6.6m draught, 49 cabins and no day-nitghter recliners on Caribou. The flagship now should be the Smallwood until she's retired in the spring  ;D
I neglected to mention, The Atlantic Vision is also the longest ship in the fleet at 203m.  The Blue Puttees and Highlanders are 3m shorter at 200m.  The Leif Ericson is 157m.  It makes perfect sense if the Vision is the company flagship since it's the longest as well as the fanciest ferry in the fleet (hopefully they can get the sauna and hot tub working again)!!  I'd agree with making the Blue Puttees second in line because the name refers to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment's nickname.

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »
according to MA they took 36 ft out of them to make them the same lenght as the nightmare aka vision all 3 are to be the same lenght
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
according to MA they took 36 ft out of them to make them the same lenght as the nightmare aka vision all 3 are to be the same lenght
If the ships were at the original length of 212.5m, they just simply wouldn't fit in Port aux Basques!!  The ships had to be shortened for that purpose.  The design is from Fosen Optima Yards in Norway and they were designed in two lengths: 212.5m or 200m.  The Vision is 203m, so, technically, she's still the longest ship in the fleet!!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:32:25 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 10:33:34 PM »
no..

12 meters was taken out to allow easy maneuvering..

A cruise ship longer than that (Stena Trader/Traveller) had gotten in the harbour ..took a few turns ,lots of thrusting but it got in and turned around.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:35:20 PM by Gulfspan »

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »
Just checked Marine Atlantic site and their appears to be mechanical issues with the Atlantic Vision..

http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/sailinginfo/advisory.asp
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »
Just checked Marine Atlantic site and their appears to be mechanical issues with the Atlantic Vision..

Havent heard yet ..but no biggy,didnt make the local news here..probably just blew a head gasket..

still on roster..looks like she may miss a run ..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:56:15 PM by Gulfspan »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 11:04:19 PM »
The Smallwood seems to still be on schedule, no major changes for her yet according to their website!!

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 01:04:49 AM »

They should put the Caribou back in to service for now.

Kyle

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 02:57:29 AM »
Caribou ..well ..her lower car deck is in a bit of clutter..as much as i would like to see that ...
Vision isnt in that bad a shape ..she's tied up ..but no major action on the dock ,cranes or other wise..
the draw back of having two engines(if engines are the problem)..Coast Gaurd wont permit a ship to leave port with 50% power..
Caribou and Smallwood could sail with a single engine loss ..to the extreme two ,one port ,one starboard.

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
 MV Caribou still at the old Carter dock I see!!  I would have love to see her back in service too as a backup for the Vision's mechanical problem. Instead, the Vision and Ericson are on a turn around (load and go) basis.  The Smallwood is the ONLY vessel that's on schedule at this time!!

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 08:05:39 PM »
I'm wondering how much the Vision's mechanical trouble coincides with the weather forecast ???..

Might be something to watch..

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 01:53:47 PM »
Just checked the departures and all the ships are delayed, The Atlantic Vision is currently holding in North Sydney right now   http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/sailinginfo/departures.asp

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
Got breezy here after 5pm ..driving rain ..waves in the harbour under a meter..never got the Marine forecast..wasnt to nice in PaB 70km winds in the harbour..

My point was ..The vision really doesn't like the harbour,I was wondering if Marine Atlantic had held her back vs having her hove too of Burgeo or Cape Anguille with a load of passengers ,only to have the Smallwood and Ericson pass her by..

The story as it was relayed to me:

The RCMP had met the Vision in Port aux Basques after such a situtation ,when a mutiny was circulated aboard the ship by a select few,searched everything..Trucks mainly,Id'ed and questioned people..no arrest..It was averted ,as there was a lawyer of sorts ..who explained that what they were planning was mutiny,endangering lives,and can be equated to piracy..which even today in Canada's waters carries some pretty stiff charges.
I have meet two drivers since then ,who had their sleepers tossed after that crossing..they were treated like criminals,watched over by officers one hand on the holster..that was why.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:52:41 PM by Gulfspan »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »
I've looked at the MA website and the Caribou is still on the fleet roster!!   http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/en/company/fleet.shtml   

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 07:03:03 PM »
no..

12 meters was taken out to allow easy maneuvering..

A cruise ship longer than that (Stena Trader/Traveller) had gotten in the harbour ..took a few turns ,lots of thrusting but it got in and turned around.
thanks for the info!! While I was on the Smallwood coming back from NL this summer, I overheard something about that they couldn't fit in PaB because of the overall length, I'm thinking this is wrong now if a cruise ship longer than Trader/Traveller has gone into PaB Harbour before!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk