Author Topic: Nine rescued after tanker emergency drill accident  (Read 2198 times)

Offline ChasB46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Nine rescued after tanker emergency drill accident
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:26:10 PM »
Nine crew members from a from the British Cormorant had to be rescued after three were injured and six others were thrown into the water when their rescue boat capsized.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11289722

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Nine rescued after tanker emergency drill accident
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:37:08 PM »
I find it incredible how often we hear of people being injured/killed during lifeboat drills. Probably as many people hurt as there are saved when needed for real, surely there's an issue that needs looking into here?
Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »
I was always extremely nervous when participating in Life boat drills and we had a few near misses - ALL due to inexperienced life boat captains who didn't know how to operate the equipment or got scared by the noises and motions the boat makes when the davits come out and the boat starts lowering - once, I actually had to physically remove the chief mate (as a cadet!!) from the operators seat, release the boat and maneuver away from the ship because he had no idea how to operate the equipment.
I went on to work on a passenger ferry as an officer and was life boat captain myself - I used an entire day getting acquainted with the operation and handling of the boat. During my first drill, I was in a boat with another officer and  he turned out to have no idea how to launch the boat. This on a passenger vessel certified to carry in excess of 800 passengers... Scary stuff! I complained to the captain - who then responded "well we'll use the rafts in an emergency anyway"!?

So I do have to agree with the authorities who claim that most accidents are caused by lack of training - but this is no excuse! This just means that the owners and operators have to ensure much better training of their crews!
However, many accidents are also caused by lack of maintenance -
especially the falls have some serious short comings. You can't see if a fall is corroded and this results in crews and owners concluding that the falls are in good condition even though they have next to no strength left.

Offline Mark davies

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »
Suggest you wait for the facts, before jumping to conclusions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk