Author Topic: deletions - locked topic  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
deletions - locked topic
« on: July 03, 2010, 10:49:18 PM »
Dear All

I note an interesting Forum regarding 'Deletions' has been locked.   I have been away in Holland since the 29th June, returned tonight, and can not now add my thoughts on a subject that was generating many interesting comments.  I'm not sure how this approach fits in with the idea of the site being 'democratic' ?  Surely a topic should be kept active for a week as a minimum.  So anyway, I've opened a new forum to add my comments !!

I have my own views on many of the pics. uploaded on the site and agree with Chas that there is still a vast amount of dross being added daily.  As Tomas has always said Quality not Quantity should be the main criterion.   A little self-assessment prior to uploading might just improve the overall standard of pics appearing on the site.    There are no prizes for uploading more photos than anyone else, so come on, if your pics are no better than others already on the site, keep them to yourselves.  

There are some pics here that I see and wish I could have taken myself, there are many, many more that I would not have even got the camera out for, let alone taken and uploaded half a dozen pics, so lets keep these to a minimum and help the Admins in their task.   Perhaps then the Admins may have a little more time to assess a picture and consider that although perhaps not ticking all the criterion boxes, it may just be sufficiently unique to warrant keeping it on the site and not offering it up for deletion.

Allan'

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
Re: deletions - locked topic
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:03:47 AM »
Deletions. I guess anyone that has taken a shot they mean is suiting for this site, and it gets deleted, gets pissed off.

Breathe. Look at the shot once more. What could you have done different, better angle? Contrast/brightness?
Look at another shot of the same ship on site. Figure if you can do it better. Is there any point of posting a WORSE shot than what allready is on site?

I am getting sick of this.

POST QUALITY, not quantity!

I mean, there are soon a TRILLION shots on site.
This is not a response to you sir, :=D Just some thoughts.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »
And for those of you tired of the "post quality not quantity" - over and over again, isnt it what its all about, so we can enjoy good shots?

Offline Joy Loughnan

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
I think most would agree with quality over quantity, the issue seems to be the deletion of some good photos for no sensible reason.

Joy

Bob Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »

Bob Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 09:41:02 PM »
Derek:
Not worth selling tickets.
It will be no contest, really: I can run (away) faster than Ken!
Bob

Offline E. Vroom

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Flickr.com
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »
Hi all, back from France in one piece, as the most of the rain past us by (still a great deal but no damage) for the rest it was a very memorable holiday, you'll notice in a while. Derek, good to see you survived the nurses :-).

So Back to the topic. I agree where help is needed rather than deleting a good pic, that's preferable. Good point.

About Quality not Quantity? True. But how did we all start? And isn't it, that falling flat on your face ( equivalent of deletion) makes you get up again and learn and try again.
Said often before, do we all have the same budged for top quality equipment?

And moreover, is this a photographing site only or a SHIPSPOTTING site where the mention of date and place of a ship sighting is as important as the photo of it? Keeping a less quality photo to yourself would be keeping info of the sighting to yourself as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk