Author Topic: The end of an Era in Sydney Harbour  (Read 7867 times)

Offline David Firth

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
The end of an Era in Sydney Harbour
« on: September 28, 2007, 03:44:24 PM »
It was the end of an Era in Sydney Harbour today -
when the Maersk Wind departed the Darling Harbour
wharves just after 3PM.
Maersk Wind was the last Vehicle Carrier to
berth at the wharves,which will soon be demolished.
Wallenius Wilhelmsen, the biggest user of Darling Harbour
in recent years will move their operations to Port Kembla,south of Sydney.They had no choice.
The famous wharves at Darling Harbour,used by Commercial Ships since the mid 1800's will make way for
offices,units and a park.
The Glebe Island Car Terminal in Sydney is also expected
to close next year.
This will all but end Sydney's days as a working Harbour,
apart from visits by the odd Tanker and Bulk Cargo Vessel.
If anyone is interested.....I have posted some photos of the Maersk Wind berthed at Darling Harbour today.

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The end of an Era in Sydney Harbour
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 05:13:25 PM »
Hello David

I fully understand Sydney's loss with the vehicle trade moving south. It does not sound like much of the history around Darling Harbour will be preserved. Just look at Harbourside for an example. I can confirm that Tarago, Taipan and Tapiola are already on the Port Kembla schedule for early and mid October. There is an opening ceremony next week when Tarago & Taipan are in. Work has commenced on the second Vehicle Berthing Facility. I guess Glebe Island will finish up when this is completed. Last I heard this will be completed May 2008.

Regards

Peter

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:37:16 PM »
David, Peter

I am another Sydneysider disappointed that our harbour will soon have little ocean going ship traffic.  I wait with trepidation to see the final plans for the Darling Harbour redevelopment.

I suppose we can say we have done our bit to make an historical record of a soon to be past era.

Yours

Clyde (Clydee)

Offline Harry07

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 02:42:21 AM »
Can someone post schedules for their arrivals in Port Kembla,would be good i might go down and get them coming in...
I southern Moana leave sydney about 3weeks ago,be good once they move the vehicle carriers docks to Port Kembla.

Clyde Dickens

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:11:24 AM »
David

Thanks, twice.  It does seem that we will be reduced to tankers and the Navy before long.  And the Navy does not give notice of its movements - I will have to keep looking out the window.

Yours
Clyde (Clydee)

Offline Harry07

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 07:41:36 AM »
Just go to Port Botany than or Port Kembla or Newcastle for shots...

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 08:10:03 AM »
The navy does give notice of their movements for Sydney occasionaly I have noticed but only for special occasions, when the polies think it will be a vote winner.

Sydney is very much like Hobart, 99% of the ships to Tasmania go to the northern ports rather than come down to Hobart now days, it is only the Zinc Works Bulk Carriers that are really keeping the port alive + the Antarctic ships and cruise ships during the summer.  There is even talk that shell are going to stop shipping the fuel to Hobart and are going to unload it in Devonport and truck it to Hobart.

So I know how you Sydney Shpping enthusiasts feel.  Although the Car trade is disapearing you still have the cruise ships, tankers and the Navy at least + a little bit of container traffic.  I guess at least Port Botany is not that far away, but having never been there I don't know what photo opportunitys there are.

Offline Harry07

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 08:46:18 AM »
Port Botany is fairly good for locations,their is about 4 spots to get the ships coming in and some easy access to get the tankers docked but getting shots of them berthed in container terminal is hard unless your use a boat.

It be good if they had moved the vehicle carriers to Port Botany.

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 10:49:35 AM »
The website for Port Kembla Port is www.kemblaport.com.au Once there hit the Shipping Movements link. You can also Tel: 0242750145 for a recorded message detailing movements at the port

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »
Container ships don't frequent Port Kembla all that often so Port Botany is a nice change. It offers fairly good vantage points for ship photos. I look for a full schedule to make it worth my while and go off for the day.

Offline Harry07

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 11:35:11 AM »
I checked site and dont think ill get the first 2 vehicles carriers coming in down there....
Think with Port Botany you need to pick a good day,check the schedules before you go as they usually change quite often and some days you might get 1 ship in 6hours or you may get 5+ ships in 6hours....
Their is quite abit of construction work getting done around Port Botany now for the extension works of 5 new container berths for the area which will increase shipping capacity for Sydney which is good.

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 03:51:28 PM »
Port Kembla is no different. The posted schedule can be a hit or miss affair. Sometimes dead accurate other times you can't get it right if you tried. It is a bit of a risk if travelling some distance to take photos but more often than not you come home with something.

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 01:29:38 PM »
"Port Kembla is no different. The posted schedule can be a hit or miss affair. Sometimes dead accurate other times you can't get it right if you tried. It is a bit of a risk if travelling some distance to take photos but more often than not you come home with something."

Sounds so much like Hobart, sometime port control update the information reguarly and then other times it can go a few months with out being updated and then you ring them you will either get some who is helpful and then there is one who asks you way you want to know and as soon as you mention photos he hangs up.

Sad Sydney Traffic is decreasing, looks like I won't get many photos of ships in Sydney when i am up there in Febuary.

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 02:17:30 PM »
I take it you are coming up for the arrival of Queen Victoria on the 23rd & QE2 on the 24th? I will be on Sun Princess on the 24th. We are scheduled to arrive at 0700hrs. (same time as QE2! Reckon they will give us priority????). If there is not that much else going on check out Port Botany. It is an easy run from the city right near the airport!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk