Author Topic: Dec 26 update on salt water vessels in the Great Lakes/St Lawrence Seaway  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Magogman

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://magogman.blogspot.com
As of noon Dec 26, 2006, Eastern Standard Time, there were no salt water vessels above the Welland Canal; i.e., Lakes Erie, Michigan, Huron, and Superior were devoid of salt water vessels and will remain so until spring, 2007.  In Lake Ontario the BBC Ems was unloading at Hamilton, Ontario and the Kathryn Spirit, ex Menominee, is being morphed into a combo Great Lakes, salt water ship - whether she stays in Hamilton or traverses the Saint Lawrence Seaway before Dec 29 remains to be seen -- her new owners were advertising for a crew which would indicate she would be sailing over the winter months.

Activity in the upper Great Lakes by "lakers" remains busy with approx 22 movements through the Sault Ste Marie Locks on Dec 25, according to reports on www.boatnerd.com.  The exceptionally mild winter being experienced in North America's midsection undoubtedly contributes to the level of activity. The SOO Locks are scheduled for a Jan 10, 2007 closing.

Kent Malo reported today on www.boatnerd.com that the tanker Clipper Tobago with a partial load of 3,000 tones of tallow, is stranded in Hamilton, Ontario with engine problems and will be towed through the St. Lawrence Seaway to Montreal before the Seaway closes Dec. 29.  I have not been able to find any further information on the Clipper Tobago or any photos of it -- maybe Kent can add to this report.

Until the Saint Lawrence Seaway and Welland Canal reopen in the spring of 2007 Great Lakes shipspotters will have to seek salt water vessels elsewhere - it is always sad to see them leave the Lakes.
My blog with narrative and more photos is located at:
http://magogman.blogspot.com

read the introduction and also there are about 5 different blogs of ships and railroads

Offline Eric H.

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Dec 26 update on salt water vessels in the Great Lakes/St Lawrence Seaway
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 06:25:40 PM »
A minor correction - the Soo Locks will close at 2400 on 15 Jan 2007.  That's been the standard closing date for the locks throughout the 1990s and 2000s.  Things are fairly busy on the western end of Lake Superior today - 17 large lake freighters are berthed in Duluth-Superior, Two Harbors, and Silver Bay now or are due in during the rest of 26 December, nearly all to load iron ore pellets or coal.  The last load will likely go out of western Lake Superior between 12 Jan and 14 Jan, and the last ship will likely arrive Duluth-Superior for winter layup between 13 Jan and 17 Jan.

Offline Kent Malo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »
The combo of the tow Ocean Hercule (Hercule is French for Hercules)Ocean Jupiter and the Clipper Tobago, are approaching Valleyfield, Quebec,0930 DST 1430GMT, 4 more locks to go and they will arrive in Montreal late this evening, if all goes well, I may be able to photograph the trio at the Mohawk Native reserve this afternnon. I looked for photos in Shipspotting, but came up empty handed.
.. Kent

Offline Marc Piché

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 03:11:09 PM »
CLIPPER TOBAGO is the former BOTANY TREASURE which was renamed in Montr

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk