Author Topic: Felixstowe tugs  (Read 8632 times)

Offline Ian G Hardie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Felixstowe tugs
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:44:20 PM »
Hi
 Spent the afternoon 17/08 shipspotting at Shotley overlooking Harwich harbour there appeared to be three tugs in use does anyone know which one's thy are?.
The COSCO BREMERHAVEN & MSC CAROLINA both used two tugs to turn and berth the MSC ESTHI had two to unberth.
Is this a change of policy since the Maersk boat hit the crane?
Also mid afternoon a large tug appeared from the North sea and entered the dock basin I was unable to ID it does anyone know it's name and what it's doing at Felixstowe?
Regards
[color=0000FF]dumpieship[/color]

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Felixstowe tugs
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 01:02:28 PM »
Hi Ian
I don't think there has been a policy change on the use of tugs in Felixstowe since the mentioned incident. I have seen ships berthing still using one tug, usually at the stern. A Maersk ship berthed the other day using just one.
As for the tugs, I will try to get the names of them when the ship I'm on leaves Harwich tomorrow morning. Two names stick in my mind are the 'Bentley' & 'Milton'.
Regards
Karl
 :-)

Offline Ian G Hardie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 07:48:58 PM »
Hi Derek
 Thanks for the info.
Looking at pictures on this site the large tug that went into the dock basin I beleive to be a Smit vessel

Regards
Ian

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 01:49:20 PM »
Hi Ian
I had a look in the Felixstowe dock basin when we sailed past it this morning (Saturday). There are two strange tugs inside the basin. One, which I think is the one you are trying to identify, is berthed just inside the basin on the left, with stern pointing out towards the entrance. Unfortnatly, I couldn't read the name and she doesn't seem to be on the port website either. The other tug appears to be a former Alexandria towing, under new ownership. All I could pick out as the letter 'K' on the funnel. Although the name is readable, it went out of focus as we went past. Looking at Derek's post, it could be the Kinnaird. I will try again tomorrow.
Hope this helps
Regards
Karl

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 06:53:39 PM »
I'm told that the Dutch tug ADA-D arrived at felixstowe today and went into the dock basin. She is operated by Smit.

Bob

Offline Ian G Hardie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 09:31:58 AM »
Looking at pictures on this site the vessel I saw could have been the ADA-D with a diffrent funnel colours.
Thanks for the info

Ian

Offline Rick Vince

• Top Poster
  • Saludos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 09:27:24 PM »
Will post a photo or two of the ADA-D as she entered the dock basin.
There have been several tug newcomers lately , including the Dutch utility vessel " Claudia B" built 1985 /148 g.t.
Mostly engaged in the subsea construction of base platforms for the new windfarm in the Thames estuary.

Regards,
Rick

Offline Ian G Hardie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 10:00:27 AM »
Just looked at your photo's of the ADA-D nice job, I do not think she is the vessel I saw she is about the right size but her funnel's had a  gold design on them a bit like Smit's emblem.
Another question how dud you get access to the dock basin?
Thank you for helping
Regards
Ian

Offline Hawkeye

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 12:49:13 PM »
Hi Ian
I'm not sure if you can get access to the dock basin without some kind of permit. I could because of my I.D. card, but even then I had restrictions. I'm no longer in Felixstowe. There was the ferry from Harwich, but she no longer goes inside the basin anymore, but runs up on the beach, like a landing craft, (she looks like one).
One method could be to go to the seamans mission inside the dock and ask them to either take you there or they could find out for you. The WSS sometimes holds meetings there. The best way to the mission is either though the main dock entrance (no 1 gate) or by the small personnal gate at the end of Carr Rd, which brings to the mission. I don't, however know, if this access is still open. You may well be stopped and asked for I.D. by the dock police.
Another option is to ask the dock police. They have a station just inside the NO 1 gate.
As I said earlier, I haven't been in Felixstowe since Stena brought the three P&O ships and transferred them to Harwich.
Have a look on this site: http://www.portoffelixstowe.co.uk/PUBLICATIONS/JOURNAL/frmsecurity.aspx
Hope this helps & let us know how you get on
Regards
Karl

Offline Ian G Hardie

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:26:09 PM »
Hi Karl
 Thanks for that I know some years ago you could go in and out of the gate in Carr Road with no problem (I worked for a company that had an office just off Carr Rd I would park on the front of P&O and walk to the office) apart from when they where shunting a train.
But I understand security has been tightened up.
If I had a nightout in Felixstowe I always parked by the dock basin as it was fairly quite oh happy days
Regards
Ian

Offline Rick Vince

• Top Poster
  • Saludos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 07:18:59 PM »
Hi Ian,
       I work in the Port so it is a bit easier for me.
Since the introduction of ISPS the security has been tightened and effectively nobody is allowed in the Port unless on official business.
There are two sides ( a bit like an airport ), the outer area, which includes the Dock Basin, is less restricted than the inner, working area, where the ships are berthed.

A special Dock pass , issued by the Port Police, has to be in your possession  before you can enter the inner area. A

Just about impossible to get anywhere decent to take photographs. Shotley is still a good vantage point.

Regards,
Rick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk