Author Topic: Soon - New website design  (Read 33009 times)

Offline Simon Harrack

• Top Poster
  • Shipspotting is my life!
    • View Profile
Re: Soon - New website design
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2022, 06:18:05 AM »
Hi Pieter, in due time sounds like sometime.
Do you know when the bug of uploading the images might be fixed?
It just doesn't currently allow vessels to be uploaded without a location and IMO number.

I think I speak on behalf of the other top posters of inland vessel photos as well. 

Greets
Simon

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #256 on: June 19, 2022, 05:21:58 PM »
Hi Simon, I have asked the question to IT just before the weekend, so hopefully it will get some attention as of tomorrow.

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2022, 07:13:35 AM »
Yesterday I tried to upload a picture of an inland ship (so no IMO number available). Despite checking the box
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
Yesterday I tried to upload a picture of an inland ship (so no IMO number available). Despite checking the box

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 20, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »
@Pieter: this is not a solution, as member Seaweasel and others pointed out: it is very time consuming.
And what is your solution for the location? The list of locations is contains harbors for seagoing vessels. Most inland vessels are seen on rivers and canals.
And I also want to point out that in case I want to refer to a website like https://www.debinnenvaart.nl/schepen_home/ it is stored as:
https://www.debinnenvaart.nl/schepen_home/
So three edits to be made for each photo.
The problems were reported 16th June, no answer or reply in the forum yet, not answer or reply on PM

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2022, 10:14:46 AM »
Pieter, I did not say it was a solution, it is a temporary way to circumvent the current problem, until such time a real solution has been found.
I would suggest that if you have problems with location of the IWT ships, may I point out that the site is called Shipspotting and not Bargespotting.

Offline seaweasel

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2022, 06:47:52 PM »
Hello everybody,

@ Pieter Melissen : You really missed the point, Pieter. It is about equal standards for all kinds of ships. Inland ships are definitely interesting and fascinating vessels, they are (mostly) just smaller than the bigger seagoing vessels. It is a complete mystery why it should not be possible to include some additional locations for them. For example, I have uploaded far more than 1000 images from Maasbracht (NL) but can't search for this small but very busy inland harbour. It's simply not included in the listing of Dutch locations. I can however search for all images taken at the Dutch city of Middelburg/Province of Zeeland and I will find just 11 (!) images of which 8 pictures are showing seagoing vessels. Why does this double standard exist ?

Shipping does not end in ports like Rotterdam or Hamburg. The smaller ships are indispensable and this shipping segment should by no means be underestimated. Inland shipping is widely respected from all people who see the whole transport sector. It's not about competition between these kinds of shipping and ships, it's about cooperation between them. And the same equality should apply for the photographs of the many different kinds of ships on this site...

Regards, Hans

Offline volker1948

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 22, 2022, 07:21:05 AM »
Hello Hans. You get applause from me!!

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #263 on: June 22, 2022, 07:22:47 AM »
Hello Hans,

Yes, I was a bit quick in my comment, perhaps also triggered by the fact that for my ship spotting activities in the Rotterdam Port area, I many times have to carefully consider how to position myself to avoid IWT ships being in my photos and obstructing the view of my topic. The presence of bunker barges is a nuisance too.

Perhaps the reason for the absence of a number of ports is that the site was originally set up by people who may have come from countries were IWT is not so important as it is over here, so they may have included ports that are accessible for sea-river ships. However, would you also want effort to be put in listing all the ports on the Yangtze river, the Volga-Don system or the Mississippi?

Cheers

Pieter

Offline seaweasel

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 22, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »
Hello Pieter,

I think we all know the problem with disturbing shipping when taking photographs, let's take it as a challenge and don't curse on them (except on motor yachts...) :-)

To answer your question concerning locations in countries like China, well, that should be quite simple. IF there are regular contributions from a certain location, e.g. in China, it would THEN make totally sense to include this location in the list of that country. Why not ? But without pictures from a specific location it would not make sense, especially in such a huge country like China. So it could easily be decided wether a port should be added to the list or not.

Let's hope that the IMO and location issues are being solved soon. There are more bugs waiting to be addressed by the IT-team. I'm willing to have patience, Rome wasn't built in a day....

Cheers, Hans

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 22, 2022, 06:56:35 PM »
Hello everyone,

The following bugs are now fixed on the photo upload/edit forms:
- location unknown not allowed
- IMO irrelevant not allowed
- slash / characters being modified

We apologize for the inconvenient and thank you for your alerts.

Cheers

Hugo Vieira
Dev Team for http://Shipspotting.com

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2022, 12:15:15 PM »
Hello Everyone,

After considering all of you feedback regarding Ads, an executive decision was taken to provide an Ads Free experience to registered users who have uploaded at least 50 photos in the past year.

This feature has been deployed to both the site and the forum.

Cheers
Hugo Vieira
Dev Team for http://Shipspotting.com

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2022, 04:26:39 PM »
Hello Everyone,

After considering all of you feedback regarding Ads, an executive decision was taken to provide an Ads Free experience to registered users who have uploaded at least 50 photos in the past year.

This feature has been deployed to both the site and the forum.

Cheers

Isn't working then, have uploaded more than 50 photos in the last year and when I turn the AdBlocker off I get ads :(

EDIT - needed to log out and back in - now working. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:33:40 PM by Patrick Hill »

Offline Manfred

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2022, 05:01:54 PM »
It works fine, thank you Hugo!  ;D
'Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then'

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2022, 10:16:07 PM »
For some reason I cannot log in on iphone 13, tells me I am banned from forum. Works fine on PC windows 11,  google chrome. Any clues?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk