Author Topic: Soon - New website design  (Read 33486 times)

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Soon - New website design
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2022, 08:15:00 AM »
Another problem: looking at my own photos and using the button: "detailed listing" and "most popular first": shows 12 photos last one 3500 views. Photo 13 and more are my recent uploads with just 6 or so views. Changing to Limit 24/page shows 24 photos with large count and then again my recent uploads. Seems no limit to that screen.

Offline Henk Jungerius

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2022, 08:43:20 AM »
Hallo; I can login with microsoft edge but upload of a picture fails
Kind Regards

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2022, 10:24:45 AM »
Hi all

The same for me this morning, but I am sure that IT are actively working on establishing stability in the servers and the basic access issues.

Thanks, Henning, for noting that access on Safari does not work for you.  Anyone else tried with Safari?

I have asked IT to update here when they are able to report concrete progress.

I suggest that members do not keep attempting to upload photos until we are advised that that functions correctly.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 10:39:37 AM by davidships »

Offline Eddie Walker

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr photos
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2022, 10:28:14 AM »
Now able to log in OK, but when attempting to upload photos, the screen does not advance beyond the 'spinning wheel'. If I then abandon it and go to the list of 'my photos', there is an entry there and the location, category, description etc can be seen, but where the photo should be, just an icon labelled 'no image'.

Offline Eddie Walker

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr photos
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »
I should add that photos which I added to the site prior to the upgrade ARE visible.

Offline John van Zijderveld

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • Johns scheepvaart foto's
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2022, 10:58:32 AM »
Looks good, login with FireFox is impossible, as mentioned earlier, uploading photos does not work properly either

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2022, 11:09:42 AM »
Log in ok, upload fails as per other users. It's a bit annoying that clicking on this forum post opens a new tab in Chrome, would prefer all actions to stay in the same tab.

Offline Hugo Vieira

• Administrator
  • Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: NOW - New website design
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2022, 11:14:29 AM »
There seems to be a problem with accessing the site properly - including logging-in, for at least some members using Firefox.
It defeated me all day, even when IT thought that there was no problem.  Then I found that access was possible using MS Edge (maybe Google Chrome is OK too - I refuse to have it)

There are many problems with the new design but, until it is clear that members can access it properly, I think that it is premature to focus on them.

Do note, that the long-overdue conversion to https has now been implemented, as promised by IT

I have noticed that, although some uploads were successful on 2 March, the images themselves are all currently missing from https://www.shipspotting.com/photos/3399780 onwards

Finally, I have asked IT to comment here on the accessibility question as soon as they able.

David, thank you for your notes.

There is in fact an issue with login on some browsers (Firefox, Safari) which we will be addressing today. In the meanwhile the login is confirmed to be functional with Chrome and MS Edge.
Also as many members have noted there is also an issue with uploading a new image on all browsers. We will also be addressing this issue today.

There will be a notice here when these issues are resolved.

Thank you all for your support and patience.
Hugo Vieira
Dev Team for http://Shipspotting.com

Offline Clive

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2022, 01:14:46 PM »
I am sure that the team behind Shipspotting.com are pleased and excited by the new design.
I expect that there were issues with the previous website that meant that updating was necessary. Personally, I found the previous site, simple, attractive and straightforward to use. It 'ticked all my boxes'.
The new site? Well firstly I had to re-register with a new name and password etc as my previous details seemed not to be recognised. So that was annoying for a start. Simple, attractive and straightforward to use - not any more. The site is now visually unattractive - what one might call over designed - and it appears not to be straightforward to use. Frankly, I'd start again if I were you.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2022, 02:00:30 PM »
As previously mentioned, log on failed with normal log on details, had to use my email address which I have not used before on this site.
Not a big problem though.
Now to explore the new site

Offline CedricH

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2022, 06:46:17 PM »
Hello,

I like the look of the new website but there are a few issues I have noticed:
  • I was now able to login through the forum pages but it does not work from the homepage or photo pages. The same issue occurred on my iPad yesterday.
  • I am also unable to go to the next page of a category, I can only see the first page of images.
  • If I want to edit a picture as admin, I cannot save the edit and I cannot go back to the photo page from the edit page.

As side info for the dev team if this is helpful, I'm using Safari on macOS and iOS and both systems are running the latest software versions. My Mac is an M1 version.

Thank you to the dev team for their continued efforts!

Kind regards
Cedric
Photo admin for the Passenger Vessels, RO/RO, Ship Interiors and Vehicle Carriers categories

Offline adenanthos

• Photo Corrections
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2022, 10:13:35 PM »
When the "location" box is marked as "unknown" it cannot be undone at this moment, so no changes of location possible, please attend to this !

adenanthos

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2022, 10:45:43 PM »
The new site is OK. I liked the old one but if somebody decided on change that is fine by me. We will get used to it.
Now the problems:

-I am at work now and I can log in using Chrome but at home I use Firefox on a desktop and can't log in. The page asks me to enter e-mail and password over and over again

-I uploaded one photo but it is not showing in "detailed listing" of my photos

-Under Locations ,the country of "Serbia and Montenegro" does not exist any more and has not existed since 2006! Needs to be updated to "Serbia" and "Montenegro" as two separate countries

- I like the feature that automatically adds the photos as you scroll down in "my photos"

I guess more thoughts will come once all is in place and the bugs are sorted out.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 11:02:34 PM by csaba »

Offline Tony_Birdman

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2022, 12:01:57 AM »
another website that has changed. i have noticed that when a website is changed to a new platform it just does not seen the same like its lost something many sites i visit has changed completely over the past few years most of them just terrible and i gave up on using them.

i think the old site was the best it was easy to use and it was what everyone was used to, i dont know why sites have to change is it no longer able to be run as it is hence why they change.
i just dont know if im gonna really use this site anymore now its all over the place and the format is terrible, i think i would have kept it as it was dont change something if it is running fine.

so the new site is a no for me, im sure others will think the same.

such a shame.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2022, 01:32:08 AM »
Hugo has told me, and I can confirm, that log-in now functions on FIREFOX
He said that log-in also now works on SAFARI, but there are apparently some other issues affecting that browser which need further work.

The uploading problem is top of the pile for Friday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk