Author Topic: Soon - New website design  (Read 33775 times)

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
Re: Soon - New website design
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2022, 02:11:37 AM »
In Firefox, I can view individual photos when I search for a specific ship.
But when I click on new photos or most popular photos, all I see is the number of photos in that category but no display of any photos.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2022, 05:20:15 AM »
Hugo has told me, and I can confirm, that log-in now functions on FIREFOX
He said that log-in also now works on SAFARI, but there are apparently some other issues affecting that browser which need further work.

The uploading problem is top of the pile for Friday.

I can log in now using Firefox but the photos are not uploading. So I closed the window. And this is weird: a photo of a container ship in Australia is showing up instead. ???
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 05:27:05 AM by csaba »

Offline Tony Martin

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2022, 05:49:24 AM »
Looking at and browsing the new website looks to be much improved and will be a leading ship enthusiast site. Takes a little time to get familiar with it however. Like all new websites there will be initial issues and it seems these are being addressed - great effort by the IT team. Couple of things I have noticed are firstly no need to log in to get full screen and also when looking at photos in most popular mode they scramble.  Comments only really appreciate the work being done.

Offline Henk Jungerius

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2022, 07:27:49 AM »
The website works now much better, in my opinion a great improvement regarding the old website.
My internetnet browser is Microsoft edge and I can upload photo's by now only when I fill in the location the site doesn't upload, when I use the box unknown  the upload works.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2022, 07:44:15 AM »
Photos with comments display their numbers that have nothing to do with actual number of comments.

(I don't know if I made myself clear.) :)

Example: actual number of comments on the photo: 3; number of comments as reported under the photo: 12.

Offline Homer

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Ships
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2022, 07:53:33 AM »
Hi,

login in FF works now. Safari still not. As to the design : it looks to me a little bit too big in general. Due to this the comments are a bit hard to find , all the way at the bottom. Before everything was more or less visible on the screen without scrolling.

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2022, 08:26:02 AM »
Uploading new photos under Google Chrome
- upload in the beta-version was functioning much faster and without the problems mentioned below.
- with the message "your photo has been succesfully uploaded" I never see the photo itself or "the wheel" keeps turning and turning.
- clicking button "this photo" left of with the message "your photo has been succesfully uploaded" gives: 404 Page not found
- date in upload screen is USA-format: 1st march 2022 is 03/01/2022 instead of 01/03/2022
- list of "my uploaded photo" runs 15 minutes behind the reality: not the actual list of the recent uploads
- main screen "latest photos" same problem: does not show the uploads in the last 15 minutes

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2022, 08:29:59 AM »
I have now finally been able to log in, so that is one hurdle taken. The first thing one gets to see is the home page, where I question the larger section devoted to "most popular categories" I already made such a remark when the beta version came on-site, as I think it adds nothing. The category with the most ships in it, will be the most popular category. As all chemical tankers and product tankers built over the last 52 years are still in one category, the winner is obvious. So this whole space can be used for other things, such as more space for comments or forum related issues, but can also be made smaller, so there is no need to scroll over the home page.

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2022, 08:44:51 AM »
- clicking button "this photo" left of with the message "your photo has been succesfully uploaded" gives: 404 Page not found

And this is what makes users upload the same photo over and over again, as they don't get the feedback that their photo is actually uploaded.

(The gallery on the title page was showing 4 identical photos uploaded by Pieter recently. I don't know if those were actual repeat uploads, or just a gallery algorithm acting up. But I had a double upload after a "404" error message, and then had to delete it. There are other examples.)

This issue of "Successfully uploaded" followed by 404 error has to be resolved.

Cheers

Vlad
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 08:53:43 AM by lappino »

Offline Axel Huettemann

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2022, 08:58:00 AM »
Hi,

on the log-in site, left, there is a "t" missing in "shipspoting".

Maybe the "photos online" could be in smaller letters and not as a headline. My impression.

Is there any new funtionality? For example getting notified when one posts a comment under a photograph? Older comments under photographs not so popular and opened 100 times per hour were neglected and some good questions/comments with additional info in the comments never answered and read anylonger. At least that could be as an option switched on or off by each member individually to get notified when a comment posted under his photograph? Maybe bit tricky such feature?

Thx,
Axel

Offline Simon Harrack

• Top Poster
  • Shipspotting is my life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »
I think the most important thing now is just to stay calm, wait and hope that the site works properly.
In the last few days there are already some improvements that make hope.
You can also see that some new ships have been uploaded. Unfortunately I can't click on these ships, then an error appears with the message "404 Page not found". See the tanker "Invasion" from Axel from Do.
Also, I can't find the ENI number for a picture under General Information.

So dear Shipspotting friends, keep taking photos of ships and collect the pictures.

I love this site and I am proud to be a part of this great community. Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 01:05:12 PM by Simon Harrack »

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2022, 03:06:24 PM »
About the comment of Lappino:
And this is what makes users upload the same photo over and over again, as they don't get the feedback that their photo is actually uploaded.

(The gallery on the title page was showing 4 identical photos uploaded by Pieter recently. I don't know if those were actual repeat uploads, or just a gallery algorithm acting up. But I had a double upload after a "404" error message, and then had to delete it. There are other examples.)

Indeed an algorithm problem. In my list of uploads is CARITAS the last one, but I uploaded three more after CARITAS. All three received the message "your photo has been uploaded". Not mentioned in my list so far. Not seen in the "last photos"section either: there is also the CARITAS the last one.

So three photos vanished in thin air............

Offline Bob Scott

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2022, 04:30:34 PM »
Call signs change when a ship changes owners/flags.I do not see the point of including them in the title line along with the IMO numbers, which remain constant throughout the ships' lifetime. Uness the ship in the photo is as it was first built, the call-sign shown is irrelevant.

Offline Simon Harrack

• Top Poster
  • Shipspotting is my life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2022, 09:19:40 PM »
If you click on the New Photos button one after the other, different pictures are displayed each time.
This is very strange. Even pictures that I have already uploaded, suddenly no longer appear in the new photos.
It's a pity that the search field can only be found on the start page. So I always have to copy the ENI number first and then call the start page.

I can
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:05:13 PM by Simon Harrack »

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2022, 01:50:43 AM »
Just to note that I am keeping an eye on this page.  There is no need to repeat items already raised (unless we faldely claim something is fixed!) - if we need to get a broader view of something specific we will ask (probably in a specific form thread)

All will be addressed (obviously over time) - one or two suggestions may prove to impractical or have have undesirable side effects, but we will come to all that in turn.

The uploading issues are IT's priority (plus some basic fuction issues for Safari users)

David

PS
@Simon: I can see that many regular members like yourself are successfully self-deleting their own unwanted duplicates
If the problem persists, please email me with the photo/URLs at [email protected]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk