Author Topic: best shipspotting and popular tourist destinations [where?...]  (Read 9099 times)

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
places, which are not well developed, large scale tourist destinations tend to be more expensive to stay than large vacation resorts, where cheap vacation packages are available...

the problem is, vacation resorts usually tend to be (for obvious reasons) placed far from industrial areas and ports, thus far from ship traffic good for shipspotter's needs...

but maybe there are any exceptions?...

what are best EUROPEAN (and the ones not far from Europe) popular tourist destinations* offering good shipspotting opportunities at the same time?...

the main reasons (needs), for which I am looking for such a place is:

1. to have one or two week vacation with good shipspotting opportunities with low (or relatively low) cost per day... [regardles of traveling alone or with partner or friend]
(if you take bed and breakfast or even the cheapest hotel by the Kiel Canal or in Rozenburg or in Hoek van Holland it will cost you much more PER DAY than simple (not luxury hotel) vacation package in Egypt, Canary Islands or Turkey riviera)

2. you want spend vacations with your girlfriend, but she is not interested in shipspotting, you spend evenings together in clubs or discos or have nice diners with a romantic view and perhaps you do some local sightseeing together, but there will be also many days when she would like to spend all the sunny day on the beach suntanning while you prefer to go to the port (nearby, I mean it _NEAR_by) and do shipspotting)...

so... what places would you suggest (if such places exist at all) in Europe or nearby?...

* I mean _popular_ vacation resorts or cities / other destinations, where a rich choice of accommodation (with relatively low price per day) and / or vacation package deals (fly there - stay - fly back, with full or half-board) are available...

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:16:15 AM by polsteam »
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: best shipspotting and popular tourist destinations [where?...]
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
You want a great holiday which your wife and family will enjoy, offering nice restaurants, bars, clubs, sunbathing and tourist attractions - plus excellent shipspotting opportunities?

Easy. Go on a cruise!  ;D

Brgds
Phil

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:26:05 AM »
If you are willing to leave continental Europe, but stay in the union, then I recommend a trip to Liverpool, in the United Kingdom. The city has many tourist attractions, like The Beatles museum, a large observation wheel, and a beautiful newly built outdoor shopping centre named Liverpool 1, among many other things. There are also a wide range of restaurants, and night clubs. There are very good transport links also, to take you to many other places. Like the Roman city of Chester, and the vibrant seaside town of Blackpool, famous for its nightlife! All these things can be enjoyed with your family.  But our city is rather unique. The river runs right along the city centre, and many attractions are alongside it. You can see tankers berthing at Tranmere from the city, large RoRo ferries to Belfast and cruise liners that berth dead in the city centre. To photograph the cruise ships, take the famous river ferry, which passes very close to them. This is also an activity to be enjoyed by your girlfriend also as the tour is very informative and stunning views of the city can be seen from it. But the cruise ship year here is only from May to September. And check the dates of arrivals. One final point is the town of New Brighton, a bus ride away from the city. This directly overlooks, and is extremely close to the container and bulk terminals at Liverpool, and when ships leave the dock, it is within easy reach of your camera. There is things for you to do with your girlfriend here also, there are some very nice restaurants at the seafront, and a napoleonic fort to explore. There is also a new cinema.
Where ever you choose to visit, I wish you both a pleasant holiday.

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:42:24 AM »
You want a great holiday which your wife and family will enjoy, offering nice restaurants, bars, clubs, sunbathing and tourist attractions - plus excellent shipspotting opportunities?
Easy. Go on a cruise!  ;D
Brgds
Phil 

yes, basically, it might be true (for many Europeans)

but for example in Poland (for Polish people, working and earning and living in Poland) cruises are still expensive as the average pay in Poland is just 20 to 40 % of that in Germany or UK on similar positions (while living is expensive, because every-day consumer goods are either of equal price comparing to Western Europe or just 5 up to 20 percent cheaper - NOT 60 up to 80 percent lower, like wages and salaries) and cruise lines do not offer "special prices" for Eastern European market...
yet I was buying most of my good quality cameras so far in the UK, because it was cheaper to do so there than in Poland...

anyway...  in Poland you may buy quite cheap, accessible (as for Polish wages or salaries) vacation packages in Turkish riviera, in Egypt or some other near-European destinations or in Europe, but cruises are still expensive...
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 11:02:37 AM »
I do believe that you can fly to Liverpool Airport from Poland. ;D

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »
I do believe that you can fly to Liverpool Airport from Poland. ;D

yeah :)  and your suggestion is very interesting, thank you.

however (since i I know because I was shipspotting in the UK - in Felixstowe*), staying in the UK is much more expensive (per day) than vacation package in Egypt or Turkey, etc...

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:44:11 AM by polsteam »

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
Definitely,place to be for you is Istanbul.You can get close to ships passing through and get at least 400-500 vessels daily in your camera.Suggest you to contact those members who were there recently.

Offline SSM2005

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
Have a fantastic trip wherever you choose to go!!   ;D

Offline KINGROVER

• JOHN D
  • Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »
You could try Camping D Krabbeplatt nl which is just past Rozenberg if you are interested in Rotterdam. I have booked an apart van for June 21st at cost of 190 euros for one week. They do other accomodations but they were booked for the week we wanted. You can find full details on there web site.The apart accomodation looks basic but it has cooker fridge shower and a bar near by which is all myself and friend need for watching ships.I stayed there over 15 years ago with family and there is plenty going on for a good family holiday. It is about a 15 minute drive out to the Maasvlakte  Best Wishes John D 

Offline Cap'

• Aye aye Cap'
  • Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 07:23:57 AM »
How about Southern Spain; Algeciras/Gibraltar, (I stayed in the Hotel Reina Christina right outside the Algeciras port entrance), or Malaga, both tourist hotspots with lots of shipping, especially the former. Maybe even Maltas Valetta Harbour...
Regards, Brian
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:33:46 AM by Cap' »
Aye aye Cap'

Offline Luko P.

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=401729
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »
Probably Dubrovnik may meet some of your requirements...
For cruise ship arrivals schedule you can visit PA site :  http://www.portdubrovnik.hr/?lan=en .
Some tips can be found at   http://goo.gl/maps/MB6hj .
See also   https://www.flickr.com/groups/ships_at_dubrovnik/.
... and have a fun
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:59:40 PM by Luko P. »
:hammer:
lupe

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 02:13:48 PM »
Thank you all for your kind replies :)

but of course any more from others is still welcome :)

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 03:00:08 PM »
If you go to Istanbul you'll be spoiled rotten.
Fascinating town, lots to see, lots to do, good food, good fun - all that is for the both of you.
Prices from certainly affordable to Sultan standard.
AND - an incredibly large number of ships of all kinds, in good and varied surroundings, good lighting, good weather.
After Istanbul everything else will pale, so maybe you should not go there just yet :-)

cheers

Uwe

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 06:32:56 PM »
Flaam in Norway aint to shabby. Geiranger as well.
Dr

Offline Marc Pingoud

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
After my last holidays around Portsmouth and Southampton just 2 weeks ago, I would say (the spot behind Hamburg) is The Solent in the UK! Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth, lots of Ferries to the Isle of wight, Navy base in Portsmouth, many cruising ships and the big Container vessels on her way to Southampton, and as a special: One of the last Hovercrafts! Don't miss to make a ride ;-) Kind regards Marc

Fell free to sent me am PM for additional information
One hand for myself, one for the ship - and one for my camera!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk