Author Topic: Hotel in Terneuzen  (Read 8162 times)

Offline Anderson1987

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Hotel in Terneuzen
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »
Hello all,

Would anyone know a good hotel in Terneuzen that is also not too expensive??

Thank you
Andy

Offline Patrick Hill

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.quaysides.co.uk
Re: Hotel in Terneuzen
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
Hotel Tollenique - used it as a base in 2009 and was clean and friendly and close to the seafront. http://www.tollenique.nl/index_engels.html

Offline Russell Judge

• Supporter
  • Just can't stay away
  • Ex seagoing engineer 1965-1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:32:16 PM »
I agree that the Tollenique is good value and the owners sister runs a spare rib restaurant in town. In addition, the underground carpark fees can be charged.

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:45:34 PM »
Another vote for the Hotel Tollenique, I stayed there in 2005, it was a nice hotel and good value for money.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
I too have stayed at the Tollenique 2008 & 2009 but these days I use Hotel Hulst (in Hulst incredibly!).
The reason is a mixture of cost, service and location.
The location means I can go to Walsoorden in the early morning as it is about 12 Kms from Hulst.
Then trundle down to Terneuzen for the bulk of the day and finally back to Walsoorden for late afternoon. The benefits of this are in the position of the sun at the relevant times. Walsoorden is better in the morning and evening.
Also, this hotel will supply a generous packed lunch (for a couple of quid).
Kelvin

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
I too have stayed at the Tollenique 2008 & 2009 but these days I use Hotel Hulst (in Hulst incredibly!).
The reason is a mixture of cost, service and location.
The location means I can go to Walsoorden in the early morning as it is about 12 Kms from Hulst.
Then trundle down to Terneuzen for the bulk of the day and finally back to Walsoorden for late afternoon. The benefits of this are in the position of the sun at the relevant times. Walsoorden is better in the morning and evening.
Also, this hotel will supply a generous packed lunch (for a couple of quid).
Kelvin

Do you take a car or use public transport, Kelvin? On my trips I tend to use public transport (mostly because of the cost of bringing a car across the Solent from the Isle of Wight, where I live, on top of the costs to get to Dover or Harwich, and then across the Channel, etc - and then there is driving on the other side of the road, something I have not yet done even in 25 years of driving) but it is a bit of a handicap.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:38:58 PM by Faith »

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 06:49:21 PM »
Hi Faith,
I drive.
Living in Basingstoke, I don't have to worry about the Red Funnel ransom!
The ferry over the Channel is not too bad; I uses DFDS to Dunkirk and, if you choose the right time, the cost is not so bad, although it was a lot cheaper when it was Norfolk Line.
I have probably spent as much time driving on the "wrong side" of the road as on the left so that doesn't worry me.
And of course, having my car with me gives me a couple of advantages; I can get from one place to another quickly and I have somewhere to hide from the weather and keep warm!
In fact, I am thinking of going this week; Friday & Saturday's forecast are showing clear weather, with some sun. The drawback is the wind chill, down to -7C!
Cheers
Kelvin

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:37:48 PM »
Hi Faith,
I drive.
Living in Basingstoke, I don't have to worry about the Red Funnel ransom!
The ferry over the Channel is not too bad; I uses DFDS to Dunkirk and, if you choose the right time, the cost is not so bad, although it was a lot cheaper when it was Norfolk Line.
I have probably spent as much time driving on the "wrong side" of the road as on the left so that doesn't worry me.
And of course, having my car with me gives me a couple of advantages; I can get from one place to another quickly and I have somewhere to hide from the weather and keep warm!
In fact, I am thinking of going this week; Friday & Saturday's forecast are showing clear weather, with some sun. The drawback is the wind chill, down to -7C!
Cheers
Kelvin

Thanks Kelvin. Yep, the ransom is what generally keeps my car this side of the Solent!

I hope you had a good trip and didn't get too cold! I am leaving my trips this year until spring. You never know we might even get a glimpse of a rarely-seen warm yellow orb in the sky!  :D

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »
Faith,
I didn't go in the end! I kept an eye on the weather forecast and decided at the last minute that it wouldn't be worth the journey. What worried me most was the possibility I would return to Dover and have problems getting beyond that, due to the snow!
I will be keeping an eye on the forecasts again and hope to get over there soon.
Cheers

Offline manzanares

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
Hello all,

Would anyone know a good hotel in Terneuzen that is also not too expensive??

Thank you
Andy
Hotel Royale, in Sas Van Ghent, stopped using the ones in Terneuzen as they were getting a bit pricey and started charging for the breakfast !

Offline Aquizard

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
For a number of years the WSS Solent Maritime Society and South Coast Branch have been staying at the Hampshire Hotel, in Terneuzen. http://www.hampshire-hotels.com/en/hampshire-hotel-churchill-terneuzen
This has been our base for all out trips around Rotterdam, Gent etc. We ususlly stay for 3 nights on a B&B basis, a walk into the town (10 minutes) widens the choice of restaurants to consider. The hotel itself does good food, and if you are up early enought in the morning you can photograph all the shipping in the Scheldt! I recommend that you bring a portable AIS with you though. The hoitel does have wifi whch is advrtised as free. 

Regards
Mike 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk