Author Topic: BREACH OF COPYRIGHT  (Read 10646 times)

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
BREACH OF COPYRIGHT
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:23:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

today I found out, that a website is using my photo of "Josephine Maersk"

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1144417

http://www.osm.no/index.php/osm-news-arquive?start=30

There are also other ship-photos, which may be taken without asking for use and without naming the one who has copyright, so if you like, you can seek for your photos, and do what you want with what you find.

I myself wrote them a mail of complaint.

Wishing everyone a good time, but dont let disturb cases like this, the pleasures of shipspotting ;D

Greetings from Drochtersen,

Cornelia

DanEarl

Re: BREACH OF COPYRIGHT
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:56:32 PM »
That's why I always watermark my photos I post on shipspotting as I have had the same issues.

All some has to do is contact me politely and I will email them a high-res photo without the watermark on.

Thanks for the link, I will have a browse through the website later tonight.

Cheers, Dan.

Offline Rick Vince

• Top Poster
  • Saludos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »
Hi Cornelia, perhaps we should all write a letter of complaint to OSM regarding their theft of your photo, to try and make them thick twice before doing it again.
On their website, under the heading of 'Our Values' they state that, as a company, they are:-
"RESPONSIBLE
TEAM BUILDERS
FRIENDLY
ALWAYS ON!"
They have failed at their first hurdle - repsonsibility.
I have also written them an email of complaint.
Regards, Rick

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »
Hello folks,

thanks alot for your support, this is very much appreciated ! I think, if they realize that this is very un-polite and next time they ask, it is a big victory already, nothing else is wanted.

I know, people raised the arguement before, that if you dont want your photos stolen, dont put them on the internet. I do not really agree on that, it would be same, if someone tell you, if you do not want your money stolen on the street, do not take any money, so blaming the victim does not help.

So I simply ask, everyone keep their eyes open, we can write mails, but we must take care, not to end up as a grumpy shipspotter, who does loose the mood for sharing photos with fellow shipspotters  ;)

Cornelia

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 06:39:38 PM »
Unfortunatelly they did not answer my message, nor have they removed the photo. Has anyone of you received a message from these people ?

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 07:30:06 PM »
Give it a few more days Cornelia. They were probably operating with reduced staff over the holiday period and only dealing with important matters. It might be worth sending it again as, I know from experience, companies are prone to ignoring such messages when they are short staffed.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Bj

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:04:35 PM »
Link to OSM Norway

Osm Crew Management AS
Bes

Offline Rick Vince

• Top Poster
  • Saludos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
Hi Cornelia, I have not received a reply either. I will let you know if I hear anything from them.
Well done Knudde with the mailing address for them!
Happy New Year all, and in 2013, may you find your photos being used on other company websites, with your permission and a fee paid!
Regards, Rick

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »
Hi Cornelia and Happy New Year!

We all know that posting anything to the internet is quite likely to end up in having it stolen and we have to kind of live with that.

But I think Rick made a very good point which I must admit hadn't occured to me before. If more than (or a LOT more than) the copyright holder make a complaint it might have more effect. I have also complained on your behalf ;)

There's nothing we can do to stop our images being stolen, but we could make more of an impact in letting it be known that we are not happy about it if we band together in complaint. How many active members do we have on this site? If we could get just a small percentage acting on each other's behalf I'm sure it would carry some weight. Something perhaps to put on our 'to do' lists for 2013!

Don't worry Cornelia, I'll never be grumpy when I am shipspotting. Even today when I inadvertantly ended up in Gravesend on what must have been the quietest day for movements in an age despite a 'good' tide. Even Ken Smith wasn't there  ::)

Happy spotting to you and all in 2013.

John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »
Hi Ken,

I know you would have. I just escaped for a couple of hours off the cuff and was heading for Tilbury. However, sun was out and traffic light so just kept going and crossed the bridge to get the sun behind me :) Got there from home in 30 minutes flat, incredible! I'll be back over of a weekend later in the month. I'll pick a tide and forewarn you in advance.

Cheers
John
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:00:48 PM by John Jones »
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline bendt nielsen

• Not too shy to talk
  • Sletterhage Lighthouse, Aarhus Bay/Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:42:56 AM »
I am also tired of my pictures are stolen from shipspotting, so I will in future to familiarize copyright on, in the hope that they will not bother to remove it ... so many media steals pictures and would not dream of asking and it is impossible to prevent.

1 pcs.
http://www.esys.org/news/sos.html

5 pcs. of same ship.
 http://pdfcast.net/monsunen-imo-6522593-callsign-ouwj2-shipspotting-com-ship/cdn2.shipspotting.com*photos*middle*2*3*4*1644432.jpg/

3 pcs. of same ship.
http://ratien.livejournal.com/176214.html

1 pcs.
http://myship.com/imo/8607672/BALTIMAR-NEPTUNE

A Danish newspaper 2 pcs. I have on marinetraffic
http://skagensiden.dk/asp/page_skibe.asp?id=73&data=tblskibe

I've only checked a fraction of my pictures and I will not use so much effort to pursue them around the world, but I can figure out that it is a big problem as you almost nothing can do about.
Every time you get someone to remove a picture comes immediate a new who steals.

Best Regards
Bendt

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:05:19 PM by bendt nielsen »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 01:10:47 AM »
Bendt
relax on it. I even don,t look for those. I have 15000 plus pix here and pretty sure a bunch are used somehwere. That,s the way it is all over. I also post regualr pictures on a web site with the name ZENFOLIO,, they said nobody really can copy them,, I posted the first 100 and a friend of mine send me my picture, just for fun, in high resolution (on the site they are in low) So,,virtually everybody can do it. Only hope,,one day a big news agency uses it and you file a law suit and then right away for millions of Euros/dollars.
Otherwise,,not much what one can do beside one,,don,t post anymore,,NOWHERE. Because that,s the only thing what is sure and safe :-)
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline bendt nielsen

• Not too shy to talk
  • Sletterhage Lighthouse, Aarhus Bay/Denmark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 01:31:39 AM »
Hey Captain Ted, you're absolutely right in your considerations, it was only meant as an information here in this thread .. I just wrote also that it was not something I would use my powers to follow up the because it has no end.

PS:.Every time one ask if they can use one of my pictures, I always say yes just they write my name by.

Best Regards
Bendt
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:18:14 AM by bendt nielsen »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk