Author Topic: QE2 + Nomadic  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Damien McCarthy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
QE2 + Nomadic
« on: November 04, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »
As you all may know the 1967 cunard liner Queen Elizabeth was sold off to Dubai (United Arabs) in 2008 and it has been brought to my attention that since it arrived it has been moored in the same dock at Port Rashid and I feel that she should be brought to Liverpool and given a dock beside the old cunard offices.
The old 1911 tender Nomadic the last piece to the Titanic is under preservation in the old Harland & Wolff yard and the men and woman helping preserve the tender are short of parts for the preservation for more info refer to  the letter  of the month in the December issue of ships monthly

Offline Clive Harvey

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: QE2 + Nomadic
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 10:43:39 PM »
I cannot help but wonder what role you envisage for the Queen Elizabeth 2 on Liverpool's waterfront? Undoubtedly the words museum, conference centre and hotel will spring forth. I expect that the hoteliers in Liverpool would not be too enthusiastic about that idea. Mind you, it would obviously mean largely gutting most of the ships passenger accommodation in order to make it into acceptable hotel rooms. After all, 21st century hotel rooms (and the expectations of today's hotel guests) and the cabins aboard a 40 year old former liner are  totally different things. Then of course we have your proposed location, valuable harbour front space. One day the city will get it's act organised and cruise ships will really berth and turn around there and thus the city will earn money from that space.
Then, we have to consider who will actually buy the QE2 and return her to the UK and invest in transforming her into a viable revenue-earning venture. If the oil-rich in Dubai cannot afford to do it then you can be sure that no one here can! Read the history of the former Queen Elizabeth and you will see that after her days with Cunard there were those with hair-brained schemes for the ship in a static role. The final days of the QE2 are uncannily similar to those of the old Queen Elizabeth, sordid and undignified.

Offline BarrySmith

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 09:12:33 AM »
Well said Clive. Killing her quickly would be the kindest fate. We lament the passing of Canberra but the alternative of a fate such as the United States is too sad to contemplate. Passenger ships are built to carry passengers. Where is an example of a viable success as a static hotel/museum etc? And I mean viable, not supported by the state. We will miss her but don't let the dreadful decline occur. 

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
Where is an example of a viable success as a static hotel/museum etc? And I mean viable, not supported by the state.

Well, i would consider the SS Rotterdam as a good example of a sound solution for such a ship.
But seldom that it happens like that.
brgds,
Stefan

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
You may not be aware of the upheaval about the return of the "Rotterdam".
Instead of the projected cost of Euro 5 -10 mln. the bill ran up to Euro 300 mln largely due to asbestos removal. This money was furnished by a building society which is now nearly unable to maintain it's properties. There were questions in parliament, managers were sacked, and the vessel was officially put up for sale. Whilst she is quite popular it is also abundantly clear that it will be nearly impossible to ever have a good return on the investment. Had this been known in advance, the authorities would  never have agreed to the return of the  "Rotterdam" to Rotterdam....

Krgds,
Rob.

::)

Offline SteKrueBe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »
Hi Rob!
Ouuuch - I wasn't aware of that. Good luck, they didn't know in advance.
Although i understand your argument (especially in such a case), if we follow it in a straight way, there will be no chance to preserve historic ships at all. I never heard of historic vessels which could create a return on the investment (even less a good one).
Brgds,
Stefan

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:29:20 AM »
as far as I heard, the 1st year of Rotterdam wasn

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »
It would never work. Any well-intentioned project will fail because they underestimate the huge cost, beaurocracy and logistical problems that befall such things. You only have to highlight the "Rotterdam" as mentioned above. No private enterprise would be stupid enough to fund it and public money is tight enough for necessities such as schools and hospitals, so would be utterly wasted on something like this.

Brgds
Phil

Offline smithy166

• Oceangoing OOW (STCW II/1)
  • Quite a regular
  • In a hole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »
As others have already stated, The project simply wouldn't work.
For a start, you'd have to buy her back of the arabs, which would cost a small fortune.
Then you'd have to find a perminant berth, And your Still not ready to turn her into a Whatever you want to turn her into.

At the moment her present owners appear to be looking after her, I read a article somewhere stating that she had a half crew engineering Dept aboard, That maintain her in tip top condition. Infact she's being maintained that well she apparently still generates her own power!
Enough torque to restart a dead planet! OOW with an unlimited CoC looking for work. :)

Offline Dave Forbes

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »
Is it not true that the biggest ship in preservation in British waters is the HMS Belfast?... and they tried to get away with airbrushing that away!. If the Arabs had bought the QE2 to for

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk