Author Topic: Becker Rudder and Schilling Rudders  (Read 22970 times)

Offline Clarence Vautier

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Becker Rudder and Schilling Rudders
« on: June 03, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
What is the main difference in Becker and Schilling Rudders apart from actual design. Is one better for ship handling than the other?

Thanks

Offline T.Richard

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Becker Rudder and Schilling Rudders
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »
Hi, Becker rudders are "flap rudder" i.e., there is a flap at the end (like an airplane wing)that allows the rudder to give more than 45 degrees of rudder effect, it's really efficient and works very  well. While manoeuvring it can have the effect of a stern thruster but gives a little headway. Schilling rudders are mainly semi-balanced rudders that can turn 70 degrees under 4kts. Very efficient and works very well as well.

Both rudders give very high turn rate at full speed, it has to be handle with care especially on cruise ships. From experience I can tell you: on a twin screw, twin becker rudder,  80000grt,cruise ship of the vision class (royal caribbean International) at 22kts. 2 degrees of rudder angle was enough to give 10/min and the vessel was listing 7degrees (it's a lot on a 2000 pax vessel)

Hope this help you
Regards
T
:hammer:

Offline Clarence Vautier

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:28:45 PM »
Thanks T

I take it you command one of these. Me and my wife went on the Freedom of the Seas in March for a trip. I am captain of a bulk carrier but we only have 35

Offline T.Richard

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 11:10:28 PM »
I am not very familiar with Schilling rudders... but from experience as a pilot I had to work with a ship with one of those... it's very efficient and we did notice some headway but less than a becker...We could only use its maximum effect (70) at speed less than 4kts... if I recall well

Good luck with your exam...you will have to save that picture... it's too big for this forum, I was very lucky to see a ship approaching Escoumins Pilot station (Canada St-Lawrence river) with the becker rudder sticking out from the water... notice the "hard to port" !

Regards
T

Offline Ostseefoto

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • VEB Deutfracht/Seereederei Rostock (DSR-Lines)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 05:55:23 AM »
Actually a rudder turning angle is 35

Offline StewartM

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:56:42 PM »
Perhaps worth having a look at the website.

http://www.becker-marine-systems.com/

Becker and Schilling are now the one company.

S.
[

Offline T.Richard

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 04:29:49 PM »
Thanks Stewart... very interesting indeed
T

Offline steve149c

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
Hi All,

Having sailed and handled ships with both types of rudders I would say that they are roughly the same in handling. The Becker rudder works with a flap at the back - which means at 45 degrees, you have 90 degrees of thrust. A Shilling will go to about 60 degrees, producing 120 degree of thrust (yes slightly astern).

There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems - assuming the same hydraulic packs are on both systems:

(1) The becker rudder will be faster from hard over to hard over as it only has 90 degrees for the rudder stock to travel, compared to 140 for the shilling.
(2) The becker's flap can become faulty - like anything else mechanical - whereas the shilling is all in one.

My present ship has twin becker rudders fitted, and she handles very well.

I know there are more people out there that know more than I do - but I am happy to say at the end of the day, from my experience, there is very little difference - 6 and two 3's then!

Cheers

Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk