Author Topic: DOVER CASTLE (IMO. 8010685) - BULKER OR GENERAL CARGO?  (Read 11607 times)

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
DOVER CASTLE (IMO. 8010685) - BULKER OR GENERAL CARGO?
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:39:45 AM »
Hi all,

I see that Dover Castle has been uploaded here as a general cargo ship as well as a bulker.
Can anyone help which one is correct? Or a both categories possible?

Thanks,
Jens

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
Re: DOVER CASTLE (IMO. 8010685) - BULKER OR GENERAL CARGO?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
Hi Ken,

got one for you too:
IMO: 9159347
VIJITRA NAREE

eguasis says GCS
other sites gives classification Bulker

rgds Stan

Offline Arnes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
This has, as far as I remember, also been discussed before. I was sailing for some years on Mowinckels Gearbulk-vessels, and on all papers, drawings etc. which we had, they were referred to as bulk-carriers. (Open-hatch bulk-carriers). On one of them we were engaged in coal-transport between Baltimore and Sines,Portugal. With almost 40000 tons of coal inside holds I will not call them General Cargo.
It seems like it is in later years, that they has changed from bulkers to General Cargo. I also have some copies of Clarkson Bulk Carrier registers, they are listed there, and I can't understand if they should list General Cargo-vessels in there

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »
Hi guys,

thanks for clarifying this!

Think I had already raised this question quite a while ago with Ja Aladdin Rainbow. If I remember correctly it had something to do with open hatches, but I really couldn't have told if this applies to Dover Castle or not.

Again, thanks for the help.

Kind rwgards,
Jens

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:10:43 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks to Derek for alerting me to this thread but sorry I have come in a bit late. I see that the question has really been answered. Yes, she is an open hatch bulk carrier which, according to Equasis and IACS classification, is a "general cargo ship". I won't go into the why's and wherefore's as it has been discussed many times before, suffice to say that this site's type categories work on the basis of Equasis/IACS, rather than ships' real-world commercial purpose. As an aside, the DOVER CASTLE was built with portable container fittings (1164 teu cap) and this together with her box shaped holds made her ideal for the liner trades of the 1980s. This probably explains the bulk/container (conbulker)classification.

Thanks also to Arne for mentioning the Clarkson Bulk Carrier Register. I can confirm that she is a bulk carrier as far as that publication is concerned  ;)

Brgds
Phil

BobS

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »
Phil and I seem to have agreed to disagree on this subject of open-hatch ships and whether or not they are bulk carriers. Phil views things from a ship operator

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »
Very interesting, indeed. And I've discovered another one, Corella Arrow (IMO. 9385477). Do these explanations apply to her to?

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 09:22:15 PM »
Hi Jens,

Very interesting, indeed. And I've discovered another one, Corella Arrow (IMO. 9385477). Do these explanations apply to her to?

Yes, she is one of Gearbulk's Oshima built '6th generation' open hatch bulk carriers with 8 hatches, 8 box shaped holds and two 70 tonne gantry cranes. The 'open' hatches mean that there is little or no deck overhang at the sides of the holds allowing unitised cargo such as packaged timber etc. to be placed directly at the required stowage position. These ships are used widely for the carriage of  forest products and non-ferrous metals though the high lifting capacities and tank top strengths also lend themselves to the carriage of project cargoes.

Despite being referred to as open hatch bulk carriers in the industry, for the purposes of this site they should be posted under the 'general cargo' rather than 'bulk carrier' categories.

Best Regards
John Jones
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Geir Vinnes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:34:28 AM »
Thor Endeavour (Imo: 9074793) was also classed as a general cargo vessel but I sendt a message to Equasis and asked about it because on the companys website she was reported as a bulk carrier so they checked it out and changed her and her sisters class to bulk carriers.

Brgds,
Geir

BobS

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »
Geir: The ship you refer to is indeed a conventional bulk carrier - not an open-hatch type.You were right to correct Equasis.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »
That's interesting Geir and shows a lack of consistency by Equasis/IHS Fairplay. Bob: She's not a conventional bulk carrier. "Thor Endeavour" (ex "Sanko Resource) is an open hatch bulk carrier with 8 box-shaped holds.

BobS

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 09:55:46 AM »
Phil: I stand corrected and bow to your superior knowledge and access to data. Looking at the photos of her on the site, she did not obviously look like an open type; NKK says she is just a bulk carrier but the operator's site calls her an open bulk carrier.
Bob

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
Bob,

You can be forgiven for thinking that she is a conventional bulker, as she is not quite in the same league as the gantry-craned Gearbulk ships.  ;D

You are quite correct to say that open-hatch bulkers command a price-premium over their conventional counterparts, probably about 40% for a modern, full-open hatcher with gantry cranes, though not so much for a jib-craned example. The price differential doesn't amount to much though as the ships get older, especially for jib-craned ships, which means that old open-hatchers sold out of original ownership are just as likely to be employed in the "pourable" bulk trades as in the "liftable" bulk trades.

Brgds
Phil

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:56:41 AM by Phil English »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk