Author Topic: "Preserved" Ships  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
"Preserved" Ships
« on: March 18, 2011, 02:32:11 AM »
This probably just seems like a trivial little thing, but I'd just like to bring up the awkwardness I sometimes feel with using the "Museum Ships" category, as there are numerous vessels I've encountered that are vintage, and a no longer in active service, yet would not be considered to be a museum vessel by any means. I really feel that instead a more appropriate category might be for "Preserved Vessels" that would encompass conversions of classic vessels to yachts, charters, or liveaboards, where they are still kept intact, but are generally not publicly accessible.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Preserved" Ships
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 09:18:31 AM »
Hi Kyle,

We also have a "wrecks and relics" category where photos of preserved or semi-preserved vessels can be placed. Remember that a ship doesn't have to be a wreck to be a relic  :)

Cheers
Phil

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
Perhaps the photo-admins for "Wrecks and Relics" and "Museum Ships" should discuss criteria for allocation.  Here's a two-penneth:

I would support Kyle's suggestion of "Preserved vessels" to include all those actively preserved, for whatever use
Better for "Wrecks and Relics" to encompass those which have been abandoned as well, of course, as those actually wrecked
"Casualties" presumably for all casualties which have not become a definitive wreck.

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
Suggested something along these line last year

http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,8251.msg44915.html#msg44915

Regards

Bob

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
David, Bob,

Yes, it might be worth considering. The biggest problem I can forsee is where it's unclear to the photographer whether the ship in in preservation or otherwise, especially where you have things like live-aboards and old ships lying around apparently derelict. Some are obvious and well publicised. But others, who knows, they could be someone's preservation project or just a rotting hulk. Then when information does become available, admins have to spend valuable time moving ships between categories. That's why I suggested the wrecks and relics category as a way of dealing with a what is a grey area, with as little hassle as possible.

Brgds
Phil

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
Ancient Motor Vessels - suggest ditch this one as a live category - there are no entries for last 3 years and only two there - both would sit nicely in other categories.  The hierarchy is odd, with museum and steam ships apparently a subset of motor vessels.

Steamships operating & preserved: Seems to be largely OK - presumably meant to be those in steam operation or with steam engines in situ.  (Mind you, some diesel vessel have crept in, including some which have never been steam - eg FEUERWEHR IV, ELBJORN at random.)

Museum ships content seems pretty good at a glance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk