Author Topic: New catagory suggestion  (Read 8561 times)

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
New catagory suggestion
« on: October 06, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Hi,

I've noticed that we get a lot of photos in "considered for deletion" of old tugs, fishing vessels and the like that have been converted for other uses and apparently do not meet the criteria for their new photo catagory.

In my mind these conversions are another phase in that vessels life and therefore part of its history and should not be dismissed so why not have a new catagory for "conversions" of vessels that would have fitted into an existing catagory in an earlier life.

Its always good to have a complete history in text & image.

Regards

Bob

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New catagory suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
Just thought I would bump this up again  :)

Regards

Bob

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:06:58 AM »
Not a bad idea

Offline Thomas M. R

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:40:05 AM »
Sorry, I'm a kind of newcomer to this group (I like it, even I'm
not a real "big ship" spotter) and I uploaded recently some
(I think for most members) "too" boring pics (but I think
even a "smell" vessel is a vessel and worth to spot and report/documente
it... ???? or ??). The reason why I wrote is "whats about a
new category "shipping memorials" ??. OK, I know they are not
real ships, what they might be "shipping" related, or ?
Just a more studip idea from an coast-far far away inlander ...hi ;-)

73, Tom (DL8AAM)
started as a amateur radio "SWL" chasing vessel transmissions on HF radio

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 05:12:37 AM »
Thomas ,please do not upload those 3-meters long boats as "near-shore fishing vessel", "fishing vessel" or whatever.Does not suit any of them. >:(
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:16:24 AM by Sinisa Aljinovic »

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:18:58 AM »
Tom,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, this site is intended for the sharing of SHIP photos. Unfortunately, we do not accept images of small boats, nor do we accept photos of maritime-related memorabilia, memorials or anything which is not a ship. Should you be in any doubt as to what is acceptable, please read the site guidelines and rules before uploading photos. Thanks.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:55:55 AM »
The answer is really quite simple.

There are other sites that accept these types of photos so the best solution for all would be to post them on one of those sites.

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:22 AM »
...this site is intended for the sharing of SHIP photos. Unfortunately, we do not accept images of small boats, nor do we accept photos of maritime-related memorabilia, memorials or anything which is not a ship.

How exactly, then, is the existence of category "z) Ships Crests" (no. 210)to be explained?

Just curious.

cheers

Uwe

Offline Thomas M. R

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
Thomas ,please do not upload those 3-meters long boats as "near-shore fishing vessel", "fishing vessel" ...

Hi,

yes, I have written with Ken that these two categories are not intended to use and that pics should be posted to much more specific sub-categories. For this reason I transfered most of them to the
<21m category (as "commercially used", e.g. the "SE-132") or "tour boats" (as they are commercial used
tourist tour or taxi boats). Sorry for using this too non-specific labels, in the future I will use the correct subcategories, hope I could identify them correctly. BTW, we will leave Senj tomorrow and will tour the Croatian coastline southwards. Hope for more "nice" ships when visiting some minor local fishing ports, while my major main interest are "governmental" vehicles, like police, harbor master, coast guards and shipspotting by HF radio.

Regarding "maritime memorial" I thought too, but was not real sure as I can't find any info on this site, maybe I missed it, as there are so many pages to click ;-)

Sorry again and best regards from sunny Croatia
Tom

« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 12:58:01 PM by Thomas M. R »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
HI ALL

I agree with robert. I saw a lot shrimping vessels which very often are converted
later in life to cargo vessels for inter island trades for example in the Caribbean Sea.
also in Panama, Christobal anchorage they are a commoin sight. I guess in other parts of the world with big shrimp vessels fleets, like Malaysia etc it could be the same.
Therefore the suggestion to ad a "converted" section would be not a bad idea.

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk