Author Topic: MARINE ATLANTIC  (Read 20520 times)

Offline kasco

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: MARINE ATLANTIC
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
Jacques you bring up some valid points.I do differ on some.I don't think it is the quality of the vessels that is the issue, It is as you say the purpose. These vessels were not built with Port aux Basques in mind.I sailed on the Vision and I find it to be a fantastic ship. In PAB it is an issue and you cannot fault the crew with making a decision in regards to passenger safety.I think Argentia was in mind for this vessel and she will prove her worth on that run.I am a big fan as well of the Caribou and Smallwood and they will be hard to replace.I felt the same about the William Carson.It all comes down to ship building expertise in Canada.We had it and then we let it go.That is the govtments fault.Until we get a have decent shipbuilding policy and getting the rest of the world interested in our ships I think you will see more foreign ships.I don't think the shipyards were ready for vessel replacement right away for the Caribou and Smallwood.it seems we are always waiting 20 or 30 years and then starting from scratch.That is hard to keep shipyards going.I am very optmistic these 2 new vessels with over half its hull low to the water will be more managable in PAB, time will tell.It is great to see various opinions and everyone thoughts Great disscussion and it will be interesting to see how they work out when they get here...
Jarrod
I believe that you have got it right. MAI/Transport Canada is now in a position to make plans to operate the Gulf service in a efficient manner. The Atlantic Vision, while a great ship, does not quite meet the demands of the Gulf service. A plan should be put in place for a new build to take her place when her charter is over. The Puttees and the Highlanders have yet to prove themselves. If they meet the demands of the Gulf service, purchase them at the end of their charter. If not , plan for new builds to replace both at the end of their charter. The Ericson, after her refit, should serve for some time with the other three vessels. But again a plan should be in place to have her replaced within ten years with a new build.
The opportunity is there but is there the will?

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 03:53:38 PM »
I agree with that..

MA and Ottawa may well have charted "get out of jail free" cards ..But absolutely be looking 10 years and plan new builds ..

This idea of designing new ferries and such taking 10 years ..planning and such ..Whats actually being said is getting the money allocated takes 10years.
The perfect template thus far are the Gulf Span class ship's..theres no need to re-invent the wheel,just better what is already a good design.

However
The Fosen Optima is a good model for the concept of building efficiently..At best Ottawa could consider this option..

From a Modelers point of view ..the Optima series is such a simple build its not funny..The Gulfspan ferries are much more involved,Its not an easy build.

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 05:56:30 PM »
Well said Gulfspan.I think you are right. It takes so long to just select the design and then move on from there.Going with an improved Gulfspan design based on experiance from the Caribou and Smallwood would serve Marine Atlantic Well.Because it is a proven design.

Take Care
Jarrod
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk