Author Topic: MARINE ATLANTIC  (Read 20661 times)

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • bayferryman09's channel
Re: MARINE ATLANTIC
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 10:47:28 PM »
Jacques, i thought you loved the VISION & said she was a beautiful vessel & should be main "DOG" of the fleet. For god sake man make up your mind. Either you think she is suitable or not suitable. Don,t let a few  old sea  dogs like gulfspan & a few more (including me) who express their opinion here deter you. Maybe time to take a nap. Would love to get you on her in 30 footers crossing to pab. Have a great xmas.
C'mon man, I already vented out my frustration, it's just a nice-looking ship inside and out, not a fully functional purpose-built ferry like the Carson or Gulfspan twins!! Just a "look at me" "sporty" vessel. She can't go across the gulf like the others can, and I'll say this one last timeI'm not from around North Sydney or Newfoundland, so I don't know what the status quo is for around the region.  I was just impressed by her and the crew, that's all she wrote for me!!  It was also my first "cruise ferry" experience, so, don't hold that against me!!  She's a nice ship, but not practical for the gulf run, and maybe Argentia would suit her better (I believe in second chances).  I'm a long time die hard MV Caribou fan by the way (I was born almost the same time as the ship) and when they decided to retire her, and pretty soon the J&C, I was P!$$ed off!!  And I said before, I like the Vision, but she ain't no Caribou.  "Vision lover", after two weeks at the dock hugging while J&C clears backlog,ME ARSE, I'm a "Princess of Acadia-aholic" (the old school Marine Atlantic 8)) And I'd rather row my way to Port aux Basques then hear people complaining about how lousy the service has become.  There, I'm done rantin'
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:10:16 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »
Regardless ..

The Vision still looks like shes doing 22knots..sitting next to the wharf... ;D

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2010, 11:25:51 PM »
I know, Marine Atlantic used to be better than this, I just thought the "Vision" was what the company considered "the way of the future".  If so, look forward to backlog on backlog every storm.  I live about an hour from Digby and I go on the Digby ferry on a regular basis during the summer months for day cruises on what I call "old reliable".  That's how my ferry passion started, on a former Marine Atlantic ferry!!  And when I boarded a superferry (Smallwood) for the first time in 1996, I was really impressed by her!!  Hearing those MAK Krupp diesels churning, walking the decks, and meeting the Captain, what a memorable experience, the Caribou, I felt the same way, but even more sentimental since the ship is my age!!  
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:27:59 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
She's not junk????
Two fires on board,cleared her moorings ,hit the docks,almost ran aground in PAB  now ..she lost power at sea!!!!!

http://www.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/2009/08/28/atlantic-crime-emergencies-atlantic-vision-loses-power/

Edit:

The article was dated for DEC 26/2010 ..the actual incident happened on August 28th, 2009 ..Its OK Jacques ...my bad !!!  again  ;)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:36:13 PM by Gulfspan »

Offline Jacques Maillet

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »
I'm no "Vision lover"!! get over it >:( I'm done, time to walk away like a "panzy" and go to a better place with no constant Marine Atlantic bashing ;D, cheers
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 11:33:44 PM by Jacques Maillet »

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 04:40:09 PM »

Story courtesy of The Cape Breton Post

http://www.capebretonpost.com/News/Local/2010-12-29/article-2078941/Marine-Atlantic-ferry-Atlantic-Vision-out-of-service-for-engine-repairs/1

Published on December 29th, 2010

Marine Atlantic ferry Atlantic Vision out of service for engine repairs

CORNER BROOK, N.L.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:08:36 PM by Jarrod David »
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 05:12:40 PM »
Another story courtesy of the Western Star in Corner Brook,Newfoundland, Canada
Story by Gary Kean

http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/Local/2010-12-29/article-2077520/Atlantic-Vision-repair-job-shouldn%26rsquo%3Bt-impact-ferry-traffic/1

Atlantic Vision repair job shouldn
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Trucker001

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
  so it looks like the nightmare WILL BE OUT OF SERVICE again with mechanical issues... who would have guessed  every year about this time she ties up for this
:lol:  :-D  :-D

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
don

Offline Mike Whitty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
Just thought I would let you folks interested in Marine Atlantic know the the Leif Ericson is now in Halifax NS at the shipyard for her refit, I hear that she will be there for 3 months. So now they are down to two vessels. Hope the wind stays away ;)

Offline Gulfspan

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »
The Ericson ..dont get me started ..Yes saw it on an overview of Halifax harbour this morning on BT

Im no Navigator or Mater Seaman...
But by my Calculations the Puttees should be of Burin around St Pierre..If shes maintaining her 23knot 240 miles per day speed and  heading ..Based on her last track and course..
That would put her in PAB on Thursday morning..Thursday evening

Given Ottawa's and MA's lack of foresight and constant idiocracy..I wouldnt be to surprised she puts into St John's for a few days..Knowing the Gulf is on a shoestring,Puttee's still isnt supposed to enter service untill Feb..

I predict ..5 weeks of travelling hell very soon..

Offline Mooseeater

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 08:22:17 PM »
 Leif Ericson arriving at Halifax Shipyard this morning for scheduled refit.

Offline Kyle Larabee

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bobtrucker123
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32:42 AM »
Great shot. :)

Kyle

Offline Kai R

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
once Blue Puttees arrives it will take some time to outfit her, conduct berthing trials, train the crew, ... . There is no chance she can commence service before february.

Regards

Kai

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
My shot of Ericson - not credited to my website: shipfax.blogspot.com.
Mac Mackay
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:03:27 PM by Mac Mackay »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk