Author Topic: maersk`new class containership ,18000teu ?  (Read 84781 times)

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: maersk`new class containership ,18000teu ?
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »
Not magic Spotti

I think I read something that Maersk in the beginning understated the capacity in order to make sure such big ships would work and could really carry that. If I remember right, when under construction the e-class was given with 13.000 TEU. If that is correct, then the later increases are not that "magic", however unusual for sure, but easy to do by just increasing the
container tiers on deck. And "behind" the accommodation (bridge), virtually, the sky is the limit !! 
I sailed not that big container vessels, mainly in the 2500 TEU range, but jacking up the
TEU capacity is rather easy. In front of the bridge we could on those vessels take 7 high
instead of 6 and so on to the forward. Therefore, another layer (tier) empties on top und
presto,,there you have another 250 or so TEU more. It is of course only a theoretical number.
the max capacity with mixed container, but all full, was about 65% of theoretical TEU.
At that point the max stability/draft was reached. Usually, rough said, hatches all full
2 full tiers on deck and about another tier, the 3rd at about 50-75% full. At that time most container ships are full .Of course,,there is then plenty space above free, but that is gone
because the vessel reaches the max stability capacity and can not load any more by that criteria,
but is way off from it,s given max TEU capacity.
I personal think ,this bigger number that better is only for "news creating", nothing really to do
with real possiblities of the ships.

brgds
capt ted

NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
Maersk haven't increased the container capacity of the E-Class, they always were 15,550 nominal teu. Maersk's previous policy was to state teu capacity by homogeneous @14t, but now they have joined the rest of the World by quoting nominal teu capacity.

Brgds
Phil

Offline jan_t

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jantiedemann.de
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »
Indeed, the ship size has not increased and neither have he actual loading factors of the E-class ships. Only that shipping lines look at it from another angle nowadays.

Now that environmental concerns play an increasing role in the evaluation of supply chains, overstating the capacity of a ship actually makes sense. The more boxes a ship carries, the lower the fuel consumption / CO-2 emission per teu. Had Maersk insisted that the ships only carried 11,000 teu max, then the vessels' eco-balance would not have been as 'green' as they would like to boast it is...

Based on 15,000 teu per voyage rather than only 11,000 teu, the 'per-teu eco-friendliness' magically gains some 40%...

In reality, actual teu volumes will be somewhere inbetween the two extremes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 12:18:26 PM by jan_t »

Offline Michael van der Meer

• Top Poster
  • Supervisor Regional Operations Centre @ HMM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »
It's nice to see all the discussions here. As I am working at Maersk Line I would like to join discussions without going into much detail. I am not representation Maersk Line here but writing as a fellow ship spotter and obviously respect the confidentiality of the company regarding future plans.

Well, regarding the draft, it would be extremely stupid to build vessels with such a deep draft where they can not enter any port anymore, even the main ports. Rotterdam is the only port in Europe which can handle container ships up to their maximum draft of 16m without restrictions. Nowadays, the PS-Class are calling Rotterdam, Felixstowe and Bremerhaven in Northern Europe of which 2 ports (the last two) are restricted to 14.5m, which means you cannot fully load the vessel on weight.

Environment is very important, remember the waste heat recovery system on the newest ships, to gain some electric power from the exhaust gases. The bunker prices are rising so quickly that alternatives for heavy fuel must really be considered.

Agree with Phil English, the PS-Class is simply not suitable for all ports/trade, not only because of the dimensions, but imagine the number of cranes which cannot reach the outer rows (22) and the high number of tiers on deck! Smaller (but still big) container ships would be more useful here.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:23:23 AM by Michael van der Meer »
Michael van der Meer

All posts, views, comments etc., are my own.

Offline jan_t

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »
Rotterdam is the only port in Europe which can handle container ships up to their maximum draft of 16m without restrictions.

Yes, but by the time any projected superjumbo was to enter the market, there'd be sufficient ports to handle the vessel at design(!) darft, and also at full or near-summer draft. Just build the new jumbos to the max Loa/Beam/Draft specifications permissible in Zeebruege, Le Havre Port 2000, Wilhelmshaven and Rotterdam, and you'll easily end up with a +18,000 teu ship (if that is what you want).

Environment is very important, remember the waste heat recovery system on the newest ships, to gain some electric power from the exhaust gases.
Yes, but the system is more or less pointless if the vessels sail at 17 knots and the ME is running at 30 per cent load. The effect will be (nearly) zero.

Agree with Phil English, the PS-Class is simply not suitable for all ports/trade.
Indeed. But the class was never meant to be suited for all ports. Maersk has sufficient 'small' ships of 8,000 teu for those trades.

It will be interesting to see what Maersk will come up with. If they wait too long, shipbuilding prices will have increased too much to take advantage of the present lows. That is unless they already have some kind of MoU in place. I would not be surprised.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:01:25 PM by jan_t »

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2011, 04:15:53 AM »
just an article in "Asiasis Daily News" --"Big4 running for 20000TEU class",another 3 companies are interested in the box of this shape ? :-* :-*

Offline jan_t

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2011, 08:17:07 AM »
Pepper, I dare say you misread the Asiasis article. (Or maybe you just saw the headline, which is indeed a bit misleading...?) It does not claim that three more shipping lines (in addition to Maersk) are interested in +18,000 teu ships. I just claims that all four major shipyards in Korea (Hyundai HI and affiliates, DSME, STX and Samsung) are in theory capable of building such ships. Obviously, each of these will have at least talked to an owner who signals interest in such vessels (i.e. Maersk).

I dare say that in addition, Hanjin would also be prepared to build this kind of ship: Not in Korea but at its Philippine yard.

PS: Several large carriers - led by MSC - have recently stated that they had no plans to go beyond the 14,000 teu size range in the foreseeable future. (Although in the end one never knows...)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 09:40:04 AM by jan_t »

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2011, 04:18:13 PM »
thanx a lot ! another question :is this a moderate time for maersk to order a ULCS of that size ?besides the factor of price ?

Offline jan_t

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2011, 04:49:24 PM »
In the end it really is a matter of the carriers' strategies. Whether this is a good time or not to order ships depends upon what a carrier wants to achieve. For example:

>Grow agressively and increase market share, even if growth as such does not yield any short-term revenue.

>renew your fleet with newbuidings while disposing of elderly ships

>gradually return (expensive) charter vessels to the ships' owners whenever long-term charter contracts expire and replace the ships with newbuildings ordered when prices where low

etc.

If a line is able to finance new orders and has a number of ships on costly long-term charters (signed around 2003 and due to expire in - say - 2013), then new orders could be an attractive option while prices are still moderate.

Just take a look at http://www.alphaliner.com/top100/index.php and you can play around with the numbers a bit to see what might be a fitting stragety for which carrier...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:36:46 PM by jan_t »

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »
any recent news about maersk`s new design of next generation ULCS ?

Offline Michael van der Meer

• Top Poster
  • Supervisor Regional Operations Centre @ HMM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »
Considering the history, it keeps quiet around these developments until the last moment. Until that time, the most creative rumors going around! :D
Michael van der Meer

All posts, views, comments etc., are my own.

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2011, 04:18:39 AM »
newest news would be announced next week!:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41655805

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2011, 06:50:20 AM »
We're now telling here that there is no news and that there will be news next week. Gosh that is some news.

Have fun
Fred

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
Today I read that Maersk have just signed a deal for 10 18,000TEU newbuildings costing $200m each with Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering.

They are in talks for a further 10 ships.

They are preparing for details ahead of a public announcement expected next week.

Regards
John Jones
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2011, 02:09:28 AM »
the most exciting news after the birth of EMMA MAERSK !!! will they really longer than 470m?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk