Author Topic: maersk`new class containership ,18000teu ?  (Read 84797 times)

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: maersk`new class containership ,18000teu ?
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 02:31:06 PM »
Fully agree with PilotB10.
As I am working at Maersk Line marine operations Northern Europe, I am daily involved in the scheduling & berthing of the "Emma Maersk" class vessels. Ports like Bremerhaven, you have specific tidal requirements to ensure the vessel will swing on or just before/after the tide is changing. With such a length you are 'obstructing' a significant part of the river / tidal flow, which might push such a big vessel and let it be out of control with all negative consequences.

Perhaps vessels might be a little bit longer, but I reckon the biggest capacity increase will come from extra wide or heigh vessels. This requires a new generation of gantry cranes as well.

In Rotterdam, most vessels get turned in the 'put' (pitt) which is specially dredged out for the loading / discharging of oil-rigs. So that would be no problem.
However, assuming that the vessel will get WIDER in stead of longer, they will obstruct a large part of the incoming sea-lane.
At present E-class vessels already prohibit other large seagoing vessels from departing and / or arriving between the wavebreaks at Hook of Holland. Especially when weather-conditions are rough NO other vessels are allowed in or out of the same approach.
WIDER vessels would obstruct the approach even more, so it may also be a considderation for MSK Line wether or not that is desirable. I could imagine port-authorities would like to tax those vessels more than others  ;D
Maybe this is one of the reasons that some rumors saying maersk`s next generation containership will longer than 470, the width and draft maybe same as emma ?

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 11:20:34 AM »
did daewoo build all the large containership in his float dock ?

Offline Federico

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »
I think that there are enough giant ships which proceed at the limits of the sense of manouvrability and which can represents a real danger for any structure or ship in case something goes wrong. The point I would like to underline is: are the crew enough prepared to intervene in case of mishandling? I know how many Captains don't want to take tugs and are too much confident on their thrusters. But too many times, if they are called to operate personally they don't know what to do. This because they have an utmost order from their supervisors not to take tugs if not strictly necessary! I understand to save money, but they must not put anybody and anything in danger!

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2010, 02:48:37 PM »
how many ports have fixed the cranes with an outreach of 24 boxes?

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2011, 03:55:44 PM »
in 2004-2006,Maersk has denied many times for the building of EMMA maersk,from this point ,maybe the contract of 18000teu containerships has been signed?

Offline Gerrit1973

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2011, 12:46:04 AM »
Maybe yes, maybe no.

I guess we'll hear soon enough when there is an enormous keel being laid somewhere in South-Korea?  ;D
Otherwise, the answer is: no?
My imaginary friend thinks you have serious mental problems...

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2011, 04:31:41 AM »
some rumors says that the first ship will be put into service in 2012?

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2011, 08:36:07 AM »
@ Pepper_220: So far you are the only one spreading rumours here.

Have fun
Fred

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2011, 01:43:57 PM »
Perhaps vessels might be a little bit longer, but I reckon the biggest capacity increase will come from extra wide or heigh vessels. This requires a new generation of gantry cranes as well.

The new cranes at Felixstowe South have an outreach of 24 boxes, so some ports already have these in place.
how many ports have fixed with cranes of outreaching of 24 boxes ?

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »
the following was reported in lloyds List 21 January 2011

Maersk to use twin engines in giant boxships

New generation vessels unlikely to use alternative fuels

A Series of giant containerships that AP Moller-Maersk is poised to order are expected to be twin-engined and oil-powered.

Speculation that Maersk would go for alternative fuels such as LNG has been played down by industry sources who think the Danish line will instal conventional marine engines in a new generation of 18,000 teu ships that could be ordered in the coming weeks.

However, it looks as if Maersk has decided to fit two propulsion systems so as to provide back-up, should an engine fail on such a huge vessel.

This is a more expensive option in the short-term, but a valuable insurance policy in the event of a breakdown, experts say.

Although containership ordering activity resumed very soon after the container trades staged a strong recovery from the 2009 slump, much to the surprise of many seasoned industry insiders, Maersk appears to be the only owner planning to order malaccamax boxships right now.

Some other lines have openly stated that they think 18,000 teu ships are too inflexible, but Maersk should be able to achieve considerable economies of scale that would significantly lower its slot costs in the Asia-Europe trades, the only route suitable for vessels of such magnitude.

But Maersk is one of the few lines that could probably raise the finance for newbuildings of this size right now. The price is likely to work out at around $180m apiece, according to one estimate, and an initial order for 10 seems probable. However, Maersk and Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering, the single shipyard still in the running, remain in discussion on a number of technical matters, Lloyd

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »
I worked 2002-03 on Maersk chartered cont ships. I remember that in Houston one of their
Tech-inspectors was a/b and he told me that Maersk had at that time already drawings for 18-20.000 TEU,s ready in the drawers.
So, the order or planned order for those ships is to no surprise to me.

What as Capt would concern me much more, are those ships still possible to be controled in certain situations like  engine break downs, or wind gusts during entering ports.
I think , at least, it is a very high risk. also when those ships are only entering the ports in rather good weather conditions, and turning basins are dredged etc etc. ( I heard RDAM build just for the E-class bigger tugs ? )  But what when the engine breakdown on the river and the vessel goes into the banks and lays across
a river. Those length vessels easy blocking the whole river and possbily even break
under those circumstances.

I spoke with a friend of mine, at a german shipping company, who actually asked me if
I would be interested to sail on a 10800 TEU. I declined because personal I think it
is a very high risk job. The moment something goes wrong, you as Master are in the shooting
line, never mind you did something wrong or not. All too often after something happened the Capt is nailed be the media and month or years later of litigation he may be cleared, but the carriere is in that moment over for that Capt. Insuracne one can not buy for this, personal, or at a horrendous price and the Master is not covered by the P and I insurance for the ship that is only for the ship/cargoes and damages the ship does, but not the eventual litigations which follow nowadays surely in an accident involved such size vessels.
I read somehwere once (correct me if I am wrong) that a vessel of E-class size would cause
a damage/loss of 1.2 billion dollars when fully utilizedby cargo and lost at sea. That is only for the cargo a/b and the ship and not the follow damages to receivers etc for other losses.

I fully realize in order to keep costs down, to go big, but it may come one day to one of those ports who handles them at are very stiff price.
Lets hope that will never happen, but than,,,there is MRUPHY,s law !!!

brgds
capt ted
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline pepper_220

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:02 PM »
I guess maybe maersk would build them to make a new AE line---passing Cape of Good Hope ,all these huge boxships will ‎Travel for 8-10 miles an hour, another anvantage is they coul avoid ‎Somalia pirates :-* :-*

Offline Michael van der Meer

• Top Poster
  • Supervisor Regional Operations Centre @ HMM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
@Capt Ted

I am working for Maersk Line in Rotterdam and responsible for scheduling of the AE7 service, on which
the E-class is sailing.

The Danish vessels, especially this E-class are sailing very 'sharp' and precise. Together with her double
bow & sternthrusters it's very easy to manoeuvre in a port. Better compared to the bridge fwd-engine aft
vessels.

The limitations on the wind are certainly there. Especially if the ships are loaded with empty containers
they catch a lot of wind and are relative very light in the water. In Rotterdam (and other ports) this will
definitely give some limations.

Fortunately nowadays more and more ports are 'used' to bigger ships, which also increasing the
experience of the pilots who has to take those vessels safely in and out. Regarding the special built
tugs in Rotterdam for those E-class, well, I don't think so. Rotterdam needs more powerful tugs for
heavy bulk- and oiltankers or containerships without powerful sternthrusters, while in good weather
conditions those E-class vessels can arrive and depart without any tugs at all.

The bigger the ship, the bigger the attention of the media in case something happens....
that's a common thing :)

There is certainly a limit, especially if the port infrastructure (terminals & nautical) are not keeping up
with the development of those new megaships. In Northern Europe, Rotterdam is the only port
which is able to receive similar vessels already, especially once the Maasvlakte II is there.

@ Pepper_220 The current market does not really 'appreciate' such very long transit times, except if
you only wish to have empty equipment on board those services, which is not likely. The current rising
heavy fuel price during the last few months gives some advantages still to go via Suez instead of Cape of Good Hope.

Recently an E-class was approached by a pirate skiff, however, doesn't matter the speed, they are never able
to board those ships while sailing. Before the reach the deck, the crew still has time to have lunch!
It seems the pirates becoming more and more aggressive, even though the know they are not able to get on board.
Obviously this scares the crew even more.... :o

Michael van der Meer

All posts, views, comments etc., are my own.

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2011, 03:09:26 PM »

According to Alphaliner today the length of the new Maersk giants
should be 440 metres.

Probably APM Terminals will construct gantry cranes of their new
design for these (potential) vessels.

Niels

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk