Author Topic: YM Uranus sunk off Bretagne  (Read 15669 times)

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
YM Uranus sunk off Bretagne
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »
YM Uranus sunk 100km off Bretagne after colision with Hanjin Richzad
crew of 13 saved.
YM Uranus... what's in a name..
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=1146826

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: YM Uranus sunk off Bretagne
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 11:31:29 AM »
Hi Stan,

This must be a mythological collision as according to Equasis, there is no such Hanjin vessel.  I suspect press reports are incorrect (as usual) and they mean the 2010 built Hanjin Rizhao.  (unless Richzad is another new build which has not yet appeared in Equasis)

Allan

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 11:34:04 AM »
Rescue ships scrambled Friday to save a  stricken chemical tanker adrift off France's Atlantic coast after a collision  with a freighter forced its crew to abandon ship, maritime officials said.
   A deepwater tug attached a tow-rope to the 120-metre (400-foot)  Maltese-flagged YM Uranus after an evaluation team boarded the ship, which is  reportedly carrying 6,000 tonnes of solvents, the coastguard said.
   The ship's 13-member crew took to the life rafts shortly before dawn from  where they were winched to safety by rescue helicopter, said the coastguard  headquarters in the nearby Brittany town of Brest.
   The ship was said to be "taking on large amounts of water" after colliding  with a bulk carrier 50 nautical miles south-west of the island of Ouessant.
   The coastguard later said that they had started to pump some of the water  out of the ship, with no pollution visible.
   "We're in more of a favourable situation than an unfavourable one,"  maritime authority spokesman Marc Gander told journalists in Brest.
   The authorities are waiting for the ship to be ready to be towed before  "knowing what we'll do in the coming hours," he said.
   The YM Uranus was built in 2008 and is compartmentalised with a  double-hull, Gander said, reducing the risk of the solvents leaking into the  sea.
   "The convoy will be travelling at four knots, which means that it'll take  12 to 13 hours if they're coming this way," to Brest, Gander said.
   The two boats were travelling in the same direction when they collided  during the night, apparently as one was overtaking the other, he added.
   The Regional Operational Centre for Monitoring and Rescue (CROSS)  dispatched a navy frigate and the tug to the area. The Uranus was travelling  between Porto Marghera in Italy and Amsterdam.
   The other ship was the Hanjin Richzad, a 191-metre Panama-flagged cargo  ship, which was travelling between Las Palmas in Spain and Rotterdam in the  Netherlands.
   Weather at the time of the accident was clement, with a 1.50 metre swell,  the coastguard said.
   The Brittany coast leads from the Atlantic Ocean to the Channel, one of the  world's busiest waterways, and has in the past been hit by several  environmental disasters linked to shipping.
   In 1978, the sinking of Liberian-flagged supertanker the Amoco Cadiz  devastated around 320 kilometres (200 miles) of pristine Brittany coast with  230,000 tonnes of crude oil.
   In 1999, the Erika tanker carrying 30,000 tonnes of heavy fuel oil broke in  two and sank off Brittany, polluting a large stretch of coastline and killing  tens of thousands of seabirds.
   The ship's owner Total found guilty of failing to address maintenance  problems when it chartered the rusty 25-year-old tanker Erika.
   French beach resorts were deserted, fishing was halted and shellfish banned  from consumption in the aftermath of the oil spill, leaving the local economy  on its knees for years.

Offline Stan Muller

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • My album
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »
The journalists forget to check Shipspotting first before publishing! :-D
I couldn't find Richzad either on the www, so I think your conclusion is correct.
brgds Stan

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
The BBC had it right though, in their early morning report they named the Hanjin ship correctly.
They are also showing the tanker to be under tow, not under the water (12:45 BST)
Kelvin

Offline Jos

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • http://www.spanishshipping.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
I read the correct ship name as HANJIN RINZHAO in an Australian press report this morning. If you check MarineTraffic you can find YM URANUS and HANJIN RINZHAO in the area today. According to the described track both vessels NE bound. I think the mistake cames from the French side. If you check the first press release from the Prefecture Maritime de L'Atlantique the name given for the HANJIN ship is RICHZAD. This mistake was in the whole Spanish newspapers.

http://www.premar-atlantique.gouv.fr/ ... mmuniques/2010/10/08.html

Cheers,
JL

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »
NOT correct. Hanjin RIZHAO, not Hanjin Rinzhao.
Rizhao is a Chinese port city in Shandong Province, known for steel making and heavy industry, hence the name chosen for the Hanjin ship.

Offline Jos

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:57:15 PM »
Yes I agree. It is my mistake, the correct name is HANJIN RIZHAO. Sorry, I think your post is a little bit rude.
In the other hand and according to the Press Release No. 3 the ABEILLE BOURBON is towing the YM URANUS bound for Brest.
Cheers,
JL

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
Sorry Cantabria, I didn't mean to be rude. It's terribly frustrating when news agencies and the like mis-spell or get ships names compeletely wrong. When even shipspotters get it wrong, it's disheartening. However, everyone makes mistakes and it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things.  :-)

Offline Wim Plokker

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
Very sorry to say that you all knows the name better but when looking into this they are all incorrect. Specially those from the new waterway which call them self an expert.

Firstly check names very carefully and more backgrolund then reply  to avoid any misunderstanding and that is a speciality of those photographers of the Waterway they everything  but they dont even known one percent

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
Dag Wim,
Wanneer je niks zinnigs te melden heb, doe het dan helemaal niet.
Het bericht dat ik geplaatst heb is gewoon een persbericht van Reuter.
Dat die niet altijd kloppen mag duidelijk zijn en de reden waarom is ook duidelijk. Met mekaar komen we vervolgens wel achter de feiten. Ik hoop dat je de volgende keer ook wat feiten te melden hebt.
Enne een expert ben ik allerminst.
Vriendelijke groet
Fred Vloo

Offline Jos

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »
Many thanks Phil. Well, I saw the mistake in the media and tried to confirm the names. It is my usual way, always confirm & check first. Seems like my mistake was just when I was writing the post.
Cheers,
JL

Offline Jos

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »
According to the Press Release No.4 she will be docked tonight at Brest (Naval Base). Some pics here

Offline Jos

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:36:58 PM »
According to the Press Release No.4 she will be berthed tonight at Brest (Naval Base). Some pics here

Per K

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »
This is a sad story. Hope there is a technical explenation and not an human error that caused this accident.
Brings back memories from standing lookout on the bridge in the Mediterranean in the eighties, when those old freighters came ramming trough the fog with noone but the freshly installed autopilot at the helm.

Best regards

Per

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk