Author Topic: Unknown River Thames berth  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Unknown River Thames berth
« on: September 04, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Hi,

I've noticed on the Port of London website that there have been ship movements to & from a berth called QUEENS & QUEENS Q1. I assume this is an anchorage but does anyone know where it is situated? I would imagine it is off the north Kent coast somewhere.

Regards

Bob

Offline Ian Busby

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown River Thames berth
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:26:55 PM »
Hi Bob
       been looking at PLA Website ship LS CHRISTINE at queens3. on ais moored off Margate
Ian234

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:26:38 PM »
Hi Bob, First time I've noticed this area "Queens" as an anchorage.  From what I can see on the chart it is an area which is more or less sandwiched between the area known as Margate Roads and the entrance to the Princes Channel, south west of the Outer Tongue area.  Also looking at the chart it appears to have much deeper water than that at the Outer Tongue. It would appear to be the ideal area to have vessels at anchor whilst waiting for work etc..  I suppose it has been chosen as a deep-water anchorage much nearer the Channel than those in the Sea Reach area off Shoebury.  The only thing it might have against it is that ships coming and going through the Princes Channel would appear to have to pass through part of the Queens Channel. Perhaps somebody at the PLA could enlighten us. regards, JW..

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:50:16 PM »
This is the new bunkering facility set up by Cockett Marine. Yes, it's in the Queen's channel and is hoped to attract shipping using the busy Dover Strait area. LS Christine and LS Jamie are the tankers that will be used as bunkering vessels.

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:51:25 AM »
Many thanks for that info Phil, interesting development. Must keep an eye out when spotting from Foreness Point.  Rgds jw

Offline Robert J Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »
Thanks for your replies. It may attract some intresting ships, just a pity its not accessable that easy  :-(

regards

Bob

Offline Nigel Stephens

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »
The Queens channel was first used to anchor large grain vessels awaiting a berth at Tilbury grain as many as 4 ships at a time used the anchorage that was in the early 1980's there is a deep hole only accessible for deep draught ships at high water so being landlocked at low tide Hope the info is helpfull.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk