Author Topic: Marine Atlantic aquires 2 ships  (Read 11329 times)

Offline Barry Dewling

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Newfoundland Shipping News
Marine Atlantic aquires 2 ships
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
A Liberal MP for western Newfoundland says people in his province won

Offline Allan Cameron

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=30025
Re: Marine Atlantic aquires 2 ships
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:59:07 PM »
Marine Atlantic's biggest problem doesn't lie in the vessels themselves, but with the management that makes the decisions on how to operate them. The Atlantic Vision might have had it's share of problems, but it's a big, efficient, modern ship and can carry many more vehicles than the other ferries currently running. Port aux Basques and North Sydney both have their challenges as far as navigation is concerned, and any time an incident occurred, it was quickly resolved by the skilled crew of the Atlantic Vision.

Maybe instead of bringing more European vessels to Canada, the money would be better spent in our own shipyards supporting our own struggling workforce. This, in my opinion, would be the best solution. Purpose-built ships designed and constructed in Canada for Canadian waters.

Just my two cents,
Allan
They say that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. :-)

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:58:28 PM »
Hey There,
To a certain degree I agree with Allan.But the fact of the matter is the Govt neglected the shipyards for years by not having a proper shipbuilding policy.We had the technology at one time but I do not think any shipyard in the country can handle that huge a ship.It is sad but true. Just look at the situation our navy is in.We are going to loose capabilities in the navy. Because of this we will no longer be able to keep our ships at sea with out help from other countries.They love to put things on the back burner.We should have had a ship procurement policy a long time ago.The sea kings were the same way.We were supposed to have new helecopters for the Canadian Patrol Frigates when they first came out. Where are they?The CPFs are now preparing for their mid- life refit and still no new helecopters.I believe in supporting your country as much as you can. I think most countries are the same way.But to me you have to think of the bottom line and that is it is cheaper right now to buy out of country. For example the new joint support vessels that were announced several years ago and cancelled very quickly.It was to expensive to build them in canada. The Dutch are going to build one why not purchase them from the dutch. It will be cheaper because we don't have to deal with all the design work.I think as a taxpayer I would want my money to be spent on the most bang for the buck!! I still believe we need a procurement policy and get our proud shipbuilding capability back. We should be a world leader.My 2 cents
[color=0066FF]Jarrod David[/color][/b]

Offline Barry Dewling

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:55:09 AM »
The same problem applies like back in the 70's when Marine Atlantic (then CN Marine) started aquiring Stena boats. Its sad but Canada does not build boats in hope that there will be a buyer. Also I dont think there is a shipyard in Canada large enough to build what Marine Atlantic needs. Nor do we have the time to wait for one to be built.

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »
Right on,I remember when the CPF's first came out and they were showing them off to some countries but the timing was off because most countries had new ships already,We could not win.Saint John shipbuilding had the capability and the know how.Where are they today?See the article below.We needed new ships for the Navy,Coast Guard, Marine Atlantic.This is what you get from putting it off.It is obvious from the Sea Kings the Govt can wait til the bitter end and then some!!!!

Top soldier wants new ships

By LAURA PAYTON , Parliamentary Bureau
Toronto sun

Last Updated: March 4, 2010 4:45pm

OTTAWA - On a day Canadians are expecting to see the government rein in its
spending in a federal budget, the country's top soldier told a military
crowd that the country is in desperate need of new ships and planes.

"We need a sustained industrial capacity to build a government fleet of
about 50 large vessels over the coming 30 years," Chief of Defence Staff
Walter Natynczyk told the annual meeting of the Conference of Defence
Associations.

"You were listening to a brand new record from the Beatles when that ship
was commissioned," he said, pointing to a picture of a supply ship.

Natynczyk says ships like the navy's Destroyer are "vital for command at sea
and vital for air defence."

"We need to start cutting steel on those ships."

He made the comments Thursday morning, on a day when the Conservative
government will present a federal budget that is widely expected to cut
military spending as the Canadian Forces mission in Afghanistan prepares to
wind down in 2011.

Natynczyk also says the military needs new aircraft.

"The CF-18 is top notch but...the wings and the landing gear are still 25
years old. The point is that the aircraft entered into service 1982 and
despite the upgrades, are getting old and they need to be replaced soon," he
said.

Offline Mac Mackay

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipfax
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
Absolutely right. The only yard in Canada big enough to build ferries of this size is Davie Quebec in Lauzon. Right now they are under credito protection and laid off 1,590 employees on March 1. They have 5 supply boats under contract, with a work force of 160, and are fidning then too complext build! They are in no shape to build replacements for Caribou and Smallwood.
I love the names selected for the 2 "new ferries". However, may I suggest   Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee - that would sum up Canada's neglect of the shipbuilding industry perfectly.

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:35:53 AM »
Not bad suggestions LOL!! I wonder what superfast ferries are available?I would love to see another William Carson & Patrick Morris come back once more as a way of remembering the first 2.Even Bruce and Kyle would be nice as well.Anything but what they are thinking!!!!!

Offline Stefan Niederer

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »
I'm not sure but since a few months Tallink Line is not telling anything what is happening with there two Superfast Ships. The Timetable is set for the year 2010 but no ships are sailing. They say, there undergoing repairs, but for 4 months? I don't know! Maybe these two are the new ones. Read here and here. They are sisterships of the Atlantic Vision. (Even the picture on the Tallink Page isn't the right one.)

Offline Lassi Liikanen

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lassiivi.1g.fi
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
Here in Finland, people are speculated about the future of Superfast-ferries. Helsinki - Rostock-line has been stopped since January 2010. Tallink has told us that "ships are being repaired", first they said that traffic begins again at March and then traffic begins at April.. well, we will see, does HEL-ROS really begin to run again.

But one chance really is, that Marine Atlantic charter or buy ships. Helsinki - Rostock-line have made big losses for a years, when Tallink began to operate Superfast-ferries in Baltic Sea. Now they are laid up, or "in reparations" at Kopli, Estonia. Some time ago, in Estonian and Finnish media was speculating, that will one of the Superfast-vessels go to Haiti. But later Tallink said, that it was just a speculate.

In later March, one Superfast will replace ferry "Star" for a week. But then, future is open. We'll see.. i personally think, that the end of HEL-ROS route with Tallink is really true. But Tallink just don't know, what to do with the vessels, and just says, that Superfast-ships are in reparations..

I'm sorry about possible mistakes in my text   :-(

Offline Jarrod David

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 04:56:07 AM »
No problem with your english Lassiivi. it is fine to me.Thanks to you and Stefan for sharing your information with us.. It could very well be those 2 ferries.It will be interesting to see what is going to happen, how quickly and where the Caribou & J & C Smallwood will end up.

Offline Lassi Liikanen

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lassiivi.1g.fi
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »
New situation of Finland-Germany-traffic! Tallink decided to start their Helsinki - Rostock-route again with Superfast VII and Superfast VIII.

There is little speculation in Finland, that Tallink started traffic again, because Europes air traffic was in chaos last week, when volcanic ash came from Iceland. So that was maybe "chance" to have more cargo and passengers to ships.

And the speculation can be true, because start was so fast: press release was published at 21.04, tickets sold started at the same day, and first ship is on traffic at 26.04, and the another one 30.04. So that's very quick action, because ships were on dock for over FOUR months! And then just comes and information that traffic is coming back. What..?

But, traffic keeps still going on soon. It's interesting to see, is there "something new under the sun" (as we Finns say :D), for example raise in passenger- and cargo volumes.

Offline Ben Mugford

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 12:08:38 PM »
Marine Atlantic is expected to make an important announcement this morning at 11:00 AM local time.

MP Gerry Byrne suspects it could involve one or possibly two new ferries.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=6546
Camera: Nikon D90 w/ 18-105mm Lens

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 01:48:43 PM »
Marine Atlantic are chartering two ships and they are the STENA TRADER and STENA TRAVELER.
They will have to be modified to meet Marine Alantic needs.

Offline Dean Porter

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 02:18:08 PM »
The Caribou and Joseph and Clara Smalwood will be retired.

Offline Barry Dewling

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
They're gonna have to really modify them to allow more passenger capacity. Right now they can only carry 300 passengers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk