Author Topic: In praise of old ships and of Chris Howell  (Read 4654 times)

Offline Marc Piché

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
In praise of old ships and of Chris Howell
« on: October 15, 2009, 02:14:54 PM »
I'm in total admiration with Chris Howell's recent portfolio depicting ships of the Port and Shaw Savill lines. I would like to thank him for sharing his unique collection with our community and to congratulate him for the quality of his scanning work. All of his files are in high resolution and they are HERE on this site!
Being a huge fan of old ships (I have quite a few of them as well in my persnal slide collection), I simply drool over the material that Chris posts here on a regular basis even if it takes me quite a long time to download the stuff into my folders.
His recent digital imagery often borders the spectacular as well. So thank you so much, Mr. Howell, for allowing us to have access to such unique ship images.

Cheers,

Marc Pich

Offline Mike Cornwall

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: In praise of old ships and of Chris Howell
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:34:12 PM »
I have to completely agree with you here Marc, they are superb photos and I just drool at his skills of photo restoration.
What surprises me is the lack of reaction his photos get from the members, They deserve more.
I'm pleased to see your complements.

Rgds/Mike
Hilifta

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
HI Mike and Marc,
I agree totally with you and I sent Chris many thank yous for those great shots.
But Marc, your oldies are not bad as well (this means translated form German excellent).
Anyway I would like to see more oldies on that site as my old photos are unfrotunately of relative low quality, childish photography.
Regards from Bavaria
Gerolf

Offline Tony des Landes

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
Yes we are indeed very fortunate that Chris has been sharing his collection with us,

Photos like these are what add real value to this site, particularly as in many cases his postings are the only examples of many ships on this site.

I have used many of Chris's postings to replace a considerable number of images from my collection of ships to visit Napier, as these have been much better examples than my previous photos.

Thank you from me as well Chris, and I really appreciate the fact that you post high resolution images.

Best Regards

Tony

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:18:57 PM »
Dear Marc,

Do you want swap negatives of general cargo ships and tankers from 1920 and up to date of high quality for paper prints of ONLY general cargo ships, old type tankers and bulk carriers. No coasters.

I have negatives of ships from following countries:

CHINA
HONG KONG
JAPAN
TAIWAN
KOREA
SINGAPORE
LIBERIA
PANAMA
CYPRUS

Please send the email direct [email protected].

Best regards Jorgen
WSS 07200

Offline Malim Sahib

• Just can't stay away
  • Merchant Seaman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 12:18:14 AM »
Agreed,
It makes a wonderful change to see photos of REAL ships instead of the modern right angled abominations.
My simple rule: If it aint got derricks, a streamlined funnel and a cruiser stern then it's UGLY!
Thankfully the subjects of Chris' shots fall into the above category - lets see more!

Offline Fotojoe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 07:28:34 AM »
Provided "parts of ships" , harbour scenes etc are allowed here for old photographs i'll be pleased to scan and upload the collection of my father (r.i.p)
with fotos from the early 30s to the 1980's. They are surely not all cyrstal-clear, many old AGFA slides which now start to get somewhat dotty and many others, but worth preservation.

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 07:33:05 AM »

Fotojoe wrote:
Provided "parts of ships" , harbour scenes etc are allowed here for old photographs i'll be pleased to scan and upload the collection of my father (r.i.p)
with fotos from the early 30s to the 1980's. They are surely not all cyrstal-clear, many old AGFA slides which now start to get somewhat dotty and many others, but worth preservation.

Hi Joachim

Well remember that there is a Category for these sort of shots - "Older(and other) Ship Photos For Preservation".

Regards

Offline ts2426

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:47:57 PM »
I must jump in here also... to express sincere gratitude to Mr. Howell.  These lovely old ships are the reason I visit this site on almost a daily basis.  Wonderful shots - all of them.  Thank You !

Offline Chris Howell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments, makes the work worthwhile.

Although I have taken some of the old ships, we should all thank the photographers who were responsible and I am only glad that with advent of scanning I can share these on the site.

I will be uploading many more over time.

Regards

Chris
Notes on album
1. All postings are photography of Chris Howell except where stated taken from 1972 to date.
2. Photographs taken by others are credited as owned collection and photographers name where known and I own the copyright or the person mentioned in the text.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk