Author Topic: Maersk to replace danish officers by asians  (Read 24893 times)

Offline Fotojoe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Maersk to replace danish officers by asians
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »
A P M

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Maersk to replace danish officers by asians
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
The danish officers might be not better,but they are more expensive as the cheap foreign officers.And that is ,what counts!!!!!And all EU polticans support this!
I think,the same will happen with Hapag Lloyd in Germany,because they are almost bankrupt!
Where is all the money gone,which the shipowners earned in the "Golden Years" before the finacial crisis started?

Offline Jordan Seifarth

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »
Which officers are better is totally irrelivent. What an absolute insulting piece of news. They should be made to re-flag their ships to somewhere more suitable if the citizens of their own country aren't good enough and are "too expensive" to be employed on their own ships.
No doubt in ten years time from now Maersk will be complaining that Danish captains and chief engineers cannot be found, pretending that they are doing all they can to rectify the problem and totally ignoring the fact that they replaced and stopped training junior officers in the first place, the very captains of tomorrow which they will now not have. That of course will suit them down to the ground because then they can continue to sail pretend Danish ships with totally foreign crew in the same way we in the UK and everywhere else in western Europe do.

Offline Fotojoe

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 06:57:17 AM »
in addition i noted the news posted by various sources that, in addition to the danish officers, Maersk to make 155 british officers redundant and replace same by asians.

baaad times......

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:43:13 AM »
This is actually a pretty clever move by Maersk! It might not be a very polite thing to do, but by doing this, they aren't cutting their own food chain - they are forcing the Danish Maritime Authority into allowing foreign captains on danish ships. Because in ten years when they run short on danish seniors, they can say "either you allow us to use foreign captains, or we'll be forced to move our ships to foreign flags" and the danish government don't want to loose the money these ships bring in!

I just finished my education in Svendborg a few months ago and was employed with Maersk as a cadet, but chose to find a job elsewhere because I was suspecting something like this would happen! Today, Henrik Sloth the HR-something for Maersk was in Svendborg to talk to the maersk-employed cadets and told them that they expected them to find employment elsewhere as maersk wouldn't offer them employment on their ships!
The worst thing about this though is that I have a letter from Maersk from two years ago when they tried to sack all the danish chief stewards and ABs saying that there was no need to worry as maersk was always going to need "competent danish officers"... Until they got a new CEO who doesn't care about corporate citizenship and responsibility, but only care about profits...

Anyway, Good thing I got out before all this BS happened!

Offline Fergal Clohessy

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:46:53 AM »
good thing indeed and well done for that :oD

Offline Christian

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
I agree with you, that is sad. How can you do this to a company with that kind of tradition and respect.

Offline Federico

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »
Danish crews are considered between the best in the world for their background and capacity, this decision is the usual self-hit to the European shipping. If it is true that you get what you pay, we will see more low-quality standard persons onboard the Azure ships.

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 06:52:22 PM »
This isn't the first time m

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:34:58 PM »
I don't want to say anything bad about my asian colleagues, they do what they are taught - but herein lyes the problem, they aren't taught to be assertive and to think "outside the box". It is like the USMC;

"For every situation, you are issued a standard solution, if that solution doesn't work or there is no standard solution, consult your superior".

This is an okay system as long as you have an assertive superior officer, but what happens the day you become that superior officer?!

But hey, I guess this is the way of the world... Price over competency - no matter the cost!

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 11:18:18 PM »
I live and work in South Shields, I also work in the house were these Asian students live, and I can honsetly tell you that these students do nothing more than "copy" the answers off each other.They are not a bit intersested in the sea or ships or the history of a shipping company- they have told me that all they are interested in is making enough stash to retire, This make my blood boil as I would still love the opportunity to work on a ship or a tug......

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
Yeah... The asian officers I work with are only interested in how much they make and how much we make. They are there only to earn money, it is their only motivation. And one thing is not giving a **** about ships, but the problem is that they don't care about their jobs either - they are just there because they get paid for it! Their mantra is basically "if you don't touch anything, you won't break anything"...

Offline Richie2012

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 06:15:27 PM »
but is not everyone more intrested in making enough to retire?
But i have worked with crews of all nationalites and i dont think there are some more professional than others, but i personally believe where the ship is registered is what crew should be on, and dont agree with maersk poicy here, how ever i would not say a thing like british or danish seaferers are better than asians because you get good and bad with every group of people
Regards
Richie

Offline Marek Gono

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 08:02:23 PM »
depending how was this exactly worded and how good lawyers are available I believe this could be taken to court and some money banged out of it - that's discrimination, very clearly.

sure, people and companies still discriminate, but can no longer talk about it so openly (as maersk have just shown)

Offline Brian Cawkwell

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=SeahamDocks
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:09:07 PM »
There is a guy from South Shields who works on the rigs or an FPSO, he is in court now taken he company to court as he Norwegion members of the crew have a contract paying more money for the same job:-

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/Oil-company-denies-discrimination-claim.5722317.jp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk