Author Topic: Dramatic pictures of ship 'hijackers'  (Read 3979 times)

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Dramatic pictures of ship 'hijackers'
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:08:02 AM »
That video looks to me like some sort of stunt !!!! Hauling a few men off a plane and then running with them into the distance !!! Heads down so you can't see who they are !!! When can we know the truth ????

Offline Lysfoss

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fazer@yahoo.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 06:35:48 PM »
Apperently the authorities have locked up crew as well in moscow as well as these " hijackers! Somthing to do with kremlin or somthing. The crew claim the pirates demaneded a ransom or the were gonna blow up the ship...

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 07:04:37 PM »
From Reuters @ http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE57K47R20090821

Arctic Sea "hijackers" arrested in Moscow court
Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:20pm EDT

By Conor Humphries

MOSCOW (Reuters) - The eight suspected hijackers of the Arctic Sea cargo ship that went missing in the Atlantic Ocean this month appeared in court in Moscow on Friday to be formally arrested for piracy and kidnap.

"We were saving ourselves, we were drowning," said Igor Borisov, 45, after he was arrested. "We didn't hijack the ship."

The prosecutor said the ship was carrying $2 million worth of timber to Algeria, dismissing suggestions it was carrying illegal weapons.

The Russian Navy tracked the ship into the Atlantic after Moscow said it had suffered an act of piracy and boarded it off the Cape Verde islands on Monday, freeing the 15 Russian crewmen.

A lawyer for the defendants, Konstantin Baranovsky, said the suspects were "peaceful ecologists."

Prosecutor Zelimkhan Kostoyev told Reuters that all eight men pleaded not guilty.

Russia has so far released no detailed account of why pirates would target a ship carrying timber in some of the world's best policed seas and the mass of conflicting information in the saga has sparked speculation that it had a secret cargo of arms or even nuclear materials.

The defendants face a maximum of 15 years in prison if found guilty of piracy and kidnap.

Defendant Dmitry Bartenev, 41, an unemployed Russian citizen living in Estonia, was dragged handcuffed through the court room and arrested. His head bowed in a cage, he said solving the maritime mystery was not in Russia's jurisdiction.

"A Russian court does not have the right to hear this case. The alleged illegal act happened in Swedish waters on a ship with a Maltese flag."

He declined to say what was on the ship.

Friday's arrests mean the detention of the suspects has been extended by up to two months. The eight men include one Estonian national, one Latvian, two Russians and four, including Borisov, who are registered with no citizenship.

Baranovsky said the hearing and the arrests were unlawful and a "crude violation" of the European Charter of Human Rights.

Russia said the Arctic Sea was hijacked on July 24 off the coast of Sweden by eight armed men, who forced the crew to sail for Africa with its positioning systems switched off.

The hijackers then threatened to blow up the ship if their ransom demands were not met, the Defense Ministry said. Russian television said 1 million euros had been demanded.

Leaving court on Friday, Bartenev said: "We were caught in a storm and were forced to evacuate to the nearest ship."

Maritime experts note piracy has been extremely rare in northern Europe since the age of buccaneers in the 17th century. (Writing by Amie Ferris-Rotman)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 09:25:18 PM »
I think that, from the moment this story broke, right up to this latest gobbdley gook, I have never read such a mickey mouse tale!
Well, I suppose Alice in Wonderland comes pretty close but this is really taking on pantomime proportions now.
The first report a full week after the alleged event was ridiculous but the latest utterings have surpassed that.
"We were saving ourselves from drowning"!
Really? When the ship changed course toward Gotland reduced speed to 2 knots, it was only a couple of miles off the coast. If the ship had saved these people, then this "suspect" would have said "We were kidnapped. After rescuing us, the skipper refused to port us ashore at the nearest safe haven".
I wonder how long before we will find out what really went on?
So far, the only thing in this whole story that I believe is the name of the ship!
By the way, does anybody have any ideas how the Russian navy "found" the ship 400 miles off Cape Verde and got them to Moscow within 36 hours?
Did they just catch the regular morning flight from Boa Vista to Moscow (not that such a flight exists!)?

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:11:38 AM »
Interesting, interesting .. I am not so sure what the hell this story is. I first thought, it's just some war of drug smuggling organized criminals !! Whatever they'd do for a really huge load of cocaine !!

Now, my totally unknowledgeable mind makes me feel, that there is something bigger. One party indeed, had something much bigger than drugs in mind, the state - or the states, whoever they are, are in the game as well. Unfortunatelly another party came across that and - the game started !!!

What makes me puzzled indeed is this: The crew and as well the "pirates" were brought to the Lefortowo jail in Moscow. What that is, see below:

"Lefortovo prison is a prison in Moscow, Russia, since 2005 in the command of the Ministry of Justice of Russia. It was constructed in 1881. It was named after the Lefortovo District of Moscow where it is located, which in turn took its name from Franz Lefort, a close associate of Tsar Peter I the Great.

During the Great Purge Lefortovo prison was used by NKVD for interrogations with torture.

Lefortovo was a famous KGB prison and criminal investigation isolation ward (Russian: СИЗО, следственный изолятор) in the Soviet Union for detainment of political prisoners [ [http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/world/russia/lefortovo.htm "Lefortovo"] at globalsecurity.org] . In 1994 it was transferred to MVD and in 1996 it was handed back to secret police FSB, a successor of the KGB."

Is this the way you'd do with any lousy drug smugglers and other criminals that do their dark business wherever in this world when you catch them - bring them right to a secret service jail ??

Now, I am a bit confused, but perhaps someone here can explain me ? As well I didn't know that cases of piracy are specially treated there..

Offline itsfoto

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
deleted

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:32:25 AM »

itsfoto wrote:
The whole story is weird, everybody can see that. Now they have found the ship, hauled off the crew and locked up the "pirates". Fine.
Leaves one question: If that cargo was not dodgy, why doesn't anybody tell us now, what's in the hold?
Indeed, where is the ship now?
Who is looking after her at present?
What is going on?
Cheers
Uwe

Hi Uwe

Smoke and Mirrors  :roll:

Regards

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile