Author Topic: Success against piracy at the coast of Somalia  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
Success against piracy at the coast of Somalia
« on: December 27, 2008, 07:57:42 AM »
This morning I read in our newspaper, that 2 helicopters of the German frigate Karlsruhe had saved the Egyptian bulk carrier Wadi Alarab, 37550 gt. from pirats (In the newspaper was written Wabi Al Arab, what I did not find in Equasis).
The helicopters Type "Sea Lynx" flew some 90 km to the place of the attack. When it arrived the pirates stopped firing with machines guns on the ships and disappeared. One of the helicoptes saved a heavily injured member of the Wadi Alarab and brought in the hospital onboard the Karlsruhe.
the new EU anti pirates mission "Atalanta" seems to have a first success.
Let us hope that this will continue.
Gerolf

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Success against piracy at the coast of Somalia
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 09:38:26 AM »
It is just too bad that these navy ships (and their choppers) do not have a stronger mandate which allows them to return fire! The pirates are fireing live rounds at unarmed ships, yet these military crafts are not allowed to return fire unless they are under direct attack themselves! I say give them the mandate needed and send a few fighter jets to Djibouti! They can be anywhere in the Gulf of Aden in less than an hour and they have 20 to 30 mm cannons which can destroy a pirate craft in seconds... If a few pirates come in the way - well, that is just too bad, but they are asking for it! I'm pretty sure that would bring an end to this nonsence very quickly! Because not even pirates are stupid enough to go up against a fully armed F16 or Rafale fighter!

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:04:00 AM »
Did they give pirates Christmas presents before escaped?Why do we need permission to pull the trigger to stop this circus ? I would not call this Success!  :-x  :-?

Offline holedrille

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:23:51 AM »
According to other sources, the Germans captured the pirates, but then were instructed to let them go, which they did. Perhaps they gave them a lecture on good citizenship first!
David

Offline Sinisa Aljinovic

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 10:28:13 AM »
What Danish Navy gave them earlier , maybe ice cream? What I see they got double citizenship. Yemeni , as well. :-x

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 02:13:35 PM »
the german government is only afraid,that the pirates in germany will ask for social welfare.

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »
In our newspaper they wrote, that the helicopters would have fired on the pirate boat, if the pirates had not disappeared at once.
Maybe next we even will hear about gunfire from the warshups and her helicopters.
Gerolf

Offline Gerolf Drebes

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 03:10:59 PM »
Hi Klaus-Dieter,
maybe they fear as well to have a second Klaus St

Offline mooringman

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 03:18:09 AM »
My concern isn't the vessels,the cargo and the money....the insurance will pay it anyway.My concern goes to the sailors on the seized ships,to the responsible captains and the crew and also to their families and relatives at home,and i don't care,which nationality they are.They are sailors!
....and they are an important part of a big dangerous game in that area.

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »
I think this is even worse for the families than it is for us sailors. At least we know what it is about. I've spend the whole christmas explaining that we don't have weapons and that most ships doesn't have any defensive aids except for the sheer size of their vessel... That ships like the ones that I work one aren't the ones in biggest danger as we have high freeboard and move at high speed!

Give the warships the mandate they need and kill this problem before it escallates even further! Now we start hearing about people being wounded, how long will it be before people are killed?!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk