Author Topic: MSC Daniela - first photos maiden voyage  (Read 25670 times)

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: MSC Daniela - first photos maiden voyage
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »
The design is interesting, and so is this thread.

I assume shipspotters had the very same type of discussion back in the mid 1960s when tankers started to come with the wheelhouse aft.

Best regards
Mats
Oslo

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 12:44:38 PM »
There was indeed problems with the shaft on one of the E-class vessels (Estelle), but it wasn't down to the shaft length, but the sterntube which seized up during the seatrials causing the ship to have an extended stay in

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 11:56:31 PM »
Especially, I do not think that MSC is to blame for the design, in case you don't like it, but that might be the shipbuilder's approach to what the MSC wanted to get. I would therefore not be surprised if we might see ships of the same design sailing for other companies in the future, if there is demand for these.

Offline roostes

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 11:27:53 AM »
HI,
I think some of big German KGs have ordered ships with same design, so, we can't call it as "MSC" design, but...as MSC is the first client to receive these babies...
ok, sizewise e-class vessels are bigger, capacitywise - don't know, but i'll guess they are bigger as well.
How abt manouverablity  -  these ships are meant only for longitudinal movement, i'll guess, they would need huge thrusters(azipods are out of discussion because of speed/cost/maint etc.) for sideways movement. Or isn't? Perhaps somebody can give some information abt it?

rgds

roostes

Offline portagent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?uid=3218
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 11:41:58 AM »
Reederei Claus-Peter Offen (Offenship) of Hamburg has ordered such giants.
See more under their fleet-details # 106 -> 128 here:
http://www.offenship.de/eng/overview.php
dead slow ahead !  :-)
best regards, Klaus

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 11:54:44 AM »
Roostes,

You are correct that a number of the KG's have ordered this design of vessel, and if orders are not cancelled we will see other lines with them in the future.
The stated capacity of this series is 13,800 so they are classed as 14000teu vessels.
Maersk Line always under declare the capacity of their vessels but their stated capacity for the Emma Maersk class, actually known officialy as "PS class" is 11,000teu although other estimates put their capacity around 14,000teu.
The MSC vessels are shorter than the Maersk vessels and have 2 x 1,800 kW, El. CPP type Bow thrusters, manouverability might not be much different all depending on the weather conditions of couse, they will still need the assistance of tugs when berthing for example.

regards
Andrew
Containership Admin

Offline spotti

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 12:30:58 PM »
Capacity of containerships: depends on what you are measuring, either theoretical max (empty containers) or container units of 14 tonnes (used by Maersk).
According to www.containership-info.net.tc  the measurements of MSC Daniela are 14000 teu and 10500 teu respectively.Thrusters: The E-class has two forward and two aft thrusters, each of 25 tonnes. Reportedly these ships - under favourable conditions - are able to berth without the use of tugs. The split superstructure design: Among the first design studies was Germanischer LLoyd/Hyundai HI study in 2005 of a type of 382 metres - bredth 54.2 metres - and a capacity of 13000 teu. Twin engines and twin funnels.
Regards Niels

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »
I have seen E-class Maersk's entering Rotterdam, the Europahaven and berthing without tugs.
Very impressive.
Cheers
Fred

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »
you lucky guys in Rotterdam are just showing off now!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Andrew  :-P

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »
hahaha

Cheers Andrew ;-)

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »
Then you have been very lucky because I did see twice an E-class ship but it was both time arriving under assistance by tugs and very slow. Must have been during very good weather then :-)

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 05:19:53 PM »
Yep, very sunny ;-)

And no wind at all.
Cheers Fred

Offline roostes

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 09:57:30 PM »
thank to all of you for interesting details. My opinion is that MSC Daniela with 2*1800kw bowtrhrusters and 1 fpp propeller? is rather helpless in harbour. One more question - why nobody of shipyards have tried twinscrew-or even CPP design for containerships?Only one I know was Frankfurt Express....

rgds  

roostes  :-?

Offline Morten

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
Actually, we can berth the E-class vessels in most conditions without tugs, but the company procedures require that we have tugs on standby in any case. It has always been normal to have tugs on standby and most ports require it anyway, but it was made mandatory about three years ago after a certain incident with a ship that went black and a crane which got in the way   :-D

There must have been some special circumstances since they berthed without tugs. I've only seen it done once and that was due the port being all out of tugs and us being all out of time. So we had to get permission from both the port and the company.

As to this specific design, I really don't think MSC had anything to do with the design. I read about it in a danish maritime newspaper a few years ago. The yard said that they would have the design ready for 2009 and that they were looking for buyers and that there were several interested companies. Actually, I think M

Offline Dave van Spronsen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009, 11:15:20 PM »
I have seen it already for the second time that a E-class coming without a tug
( Evelyn and Edith Maersk )
Evelyn:
http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/thumbs/rw/732311_800/Ship+Photo+Evelyn+Maersk.jpg
But her in Rotterdam we have plenty tugs around the port thats not the point
The weather was verry good plenty of sun and no wind
But on 17-11-2008 Evelyn Maersk arrived at Rotterdam with one tug and weather conditions where good
Let see it this year ,with or without a tug
Admin for Containerships

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk