Author Topic: Laid Up Ships  (Read 216064 times)

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Laid Up Ships
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2009, 05:37:58 PM »
Hi all,

Pleased to report Sierra Nevada Highway left Nab for Bremerhaven at around 15:40 today.   She had been there since 19 December..........Triton Highway and Western Highway are still there.

Does this mean someone has bought a new car ??

Allan

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »
SCOT RANGER has been on her berth at Rochester since at least 23.12.2008 is she considered as "laid up" ????

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2009, 07:33:18 PM »
No. Two or three weeks at berth is not enough. She may just be waiting for parts, or orders.

To qualify for this thread, at least one of the following two criteria should be satisfied, in my view:
(i) There should either be positive evidence the owners have made adecision to stop trading the vessel and opted for lay-up (e.g. statements from port authorities, confirmation from owners, or similar); or
(ii) the vessel must have been idle for at least a month at a berth or place that is not in used for trade.

Best regards
Mats
Oslo

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2009, 08:49:03 PM »
Many thanks for very informative reply. Kind Regards..

Offline FWE

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2009, 09:58:02 PM »
The period of a month is interesting as it has been used to argue as being about the time after which a ship that is "anchored in the course of navigation"  is deemed to be "moored".

This has implications for example if a ship is deemed to be moored then the Crown Estate or its agents here can charge mooring fees or move the ship.

If you have any clarification on this it would be interesting as I believe it has not been tested in the UK Courts ie how far the right of  "anchoring in the course of navigation" can be stretched by shipowners looking to find a free anchorage and relevant in the current downturn.

We are also seeing anchorages occupied by ships such as oil and gas tankers and car carrires that are chartered for storage purposes and while they are not laid up.Is using this right to anchor off the coast and obtaining a free ground rent for a floating warehouse be pushing things too far ?

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »
It's interesting that you mention "Crown Estate or its agents can charge mooring fees". I wonder if this applies all around th U.K. coast ?? The reason I ask is that I've been told that any vessel, subject only to size, can anchor itself in the area known as MARGATE ROADS without any restriction or without needing to tell any authority that it is there and for an unlimited time !!!

Offline FWE

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
I agree but I understand that in Margate Roads for example that is due to the right to anchor around the coast in the course of navigation. I think the problem is in determining when anchoring becomes mooring and can then be contolled. I understand they cannot charge for anchoring but can for mooring.

I believe this applies to areas outside port limits controlled by harbour authrities who may set their own rules.  The Duchy of Cornwall fulfils a similar role to the Crown Estate of that coast and they alos have various leaseholders

OIt beocmesw an interesting question as ships anchor for longer periods eitheir through lack of trade or it seems being used as floating storage. I accept that in the latter case it is not laid up but poses a similar issues.

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2009, 06:40:39 AM »
It seems that more than 1 new car may have been purchased.
Western Highway and Triton Highway are now showing ETA 22/01/2009.
ETA where, you might ask.
Well Triton Highway is showing Zeebrugge while Western Highway haven't yet made their minds with no destination.
Nowhere to go but it will arrive there on 22 Jan!

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
Hi Kelvin

Western Highway due Southampton, 16 Jan

Allan

Offline Brent

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
Hi

I was interested to read definitions qualifying for this column. While Mats puts forward a version, it does not fit the title of this thread "laid up ships" - which I understand are de-activated vessels without crews and having technical modifications such as dehumidifying spaces occurring, and moored at a permanent berth.

The current phenomenon actually involves few truly laid-up vessels, most are in :hot lay-up" meaning still crewed and readiness maintained for prompt return to trade. Some ships are just idle for a round voyage, but to me fit the  criteria of this column as affected by the downturn and withdrawn from trade for a period.

Ships idle for less than a month may well then qualify for this column, as long as resulting from lack of cargo, but not as a result of mechanical issues or awaiting orders as already mentioned.

Cheers

Brent

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2009, 09:52:11 AM »
In answer to some recent questions and observations, there are essentially two types of layup.

1. Cold lay up. This is the complete shut down and 'mothballing' of the vessel with only very limited personnel about for watch keeping. Re-activation will take several weeks and will have to include surveys in order for the ship to resume trading.

2. Warm lay up. This is a temporary idling of a fully-operational vessel, with full crew and stores aboard, which can be re-activated at short notice should a cargo become available.

There is evidence that many owners are choosing the second option. As the thread starter, I believe that bother cases are worthy of note in the current climate. So please keep posting information, even if a ship is at anchor for only a few weeks.

Phil

Offline henrycourt

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »
Hi Brent, I thought Mats put forward a plausible explanation of a "laid up ship" but it seems you have a different definition !!! One begins to wonder whether there is a TRUE legal definition of a "laid up ship" or does it mean whatever anyone wants it to mean !!! All I'm trying to find out is the generally accepted definition.

« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »
Hi All

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere else in the thread.

Interesting guide to Laid Up Ships by Germanischer Lloyd Aktiengesellschaft @
http://www.gl-group.com/presse/Recommendations_for_laid_up_ships.pdf

Regards

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2009, 07:41:28 PM »
Hi,  'Berge Atlantic'  sailed from 'WARM LAY UP' AT Torbay Deep Water Anchorage at 1740 today enroute to Ponta do Udu (WHEREVER THAT MAY BE) Been here since 18/12/08......she did move in closer to Torbay about a week ago to store & water and returned to anchor.
                                  Cheers
                                   Brian.

Offline brimar

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »
Hi again,
              Seems like another Bulker  'MOORGATE' for 'Warm Layup' in Torbays Deep Water Anchorage  (The master did ask the agents if it was 'FREE PARKING') At present awaiting Charts in Torbay before anchoring....Vessel not showing on my AIS.
                                  Cheers,
                                   Brian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk