Author Topic: Southampton VTS  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
Southampton VTS
« on: April 21, 2007, 07:00:50 PM »
Can any of you who work in the docks at Southampton, or anybody who "knows someone" at VTS, please give them a kick up the backside?
They have not updated the schedule since 06:10 this morning.
It is a pain not having the up to date info when trying to decide if I should leave home at 07:00 or not!
Kelvin

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton VTS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 08:26:41 AM »
Couldn't agree more, Kelvin.   Every weekend and particularly bank holidays it packs up, usually on Friday nights and is not back up and running until the Monday morning.    I suspect there is only one computer geek working there that can reset the system when it goes down -and they only work weekdays not 24 hour shifts.

It also raises the question - who is the site aimed at ?   If it's shipping companies, they must get really fed up with the lack of information - I'm certain its not for us enthusiasts.

Also, it would be useful to have an arrivals section,(including arrivals at anchorages) with confirmed times, as well as the ships departed section which would be improved it it also contained destination data.

Allan

Offline Andrew McAlpine

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton VTS
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:40:32 PM »
For a port the size of southampton you would think that vts would have up to the minute information.
I agree with you Allan it must be one poor guy who updates it and he obviousely has weekends etc off, i bet he owns a yacht and enjoys sailing off of calshot at weekends when we are there!!  :-D

Andrew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk