Author Topic: Video of 197.000 dwt ore carrier "Giant Step" broken in two after grounding this weekend  (Read 6733 times)

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Here is a video of the 197.000 dwt ore carrier "Giant Step" (built 1985, controlled by Mitsui OSK Lines) after she broke up in a storm in Japan this weekend:

[Link removed - it no longer works]

Apparently, two crew are dead and several missing. I hope they can save those missing.

Best regards
Mats
OSlo

Offline Tom Turner

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://Seateamimages.com
Dramatic video Mats.  Thanks for posting this.

Tom
Seateamimages.com

Offline apurva jadeja

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kandlaport.com
would any one please let me know the name of this bulker ?? where can i get crew list,?? i am from india and i understand most of the crew and officers were indian ...
regards

Offline Charles McAllister

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Apurva,

As posted above, the ship name is Giant Step.  Here is an exerpt from the Andhra News site with information on missing crew members (I copied the story rather than a link because the web site lists hundreds of stories on one page, very hard to search):

"Mumbai, Oct. 7: A sailor from Tamil Nadu lost his life and nine other Indian crew members are missing after the freighter Giant Step, with 25 Indian crew members and one Sri Lanka national, caught fire and floundered in stormy weather off the coast of Kamisu, eastern Japan, on Friday evening.

Mitsui O.S.K Lines Maritime (India) Pvt. Ltd director Capt. Abhijit Chattopadhyay said,
Best,

Charles

Offline newbie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

My friend Shem Samuel is one of the missing. We are trying desperately to establish any means of updates of rescue efforts or news.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on contacts in Japan?

Can we post pictures in local news papers or any other media?

-Thomas

Offline ultrawhack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thomas, I am a friend of the family and I am sorry to inform you that Shem Samuel's body was recovered yesterday. The body will be returned to Bangalore from Japan by tomorrow, Oct 14.

If you need to contact me or the family, please email me at ultrawhack at yahoo dot com

Offline scriptum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Dear Mats,
I'd like to know how to view the video. I clicked on the link but reuters opened up with the daily news.
Thanks,
Scriptum

Offline newbie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi,

Your ID did not work. could have been a typo.
What is your email id?

Thomas

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Hi,

The video link did work, but it does not any more. Maybe Reuters only leave them there for a week and then removes them and redirects you to their daily news?

Anyway, since the link no longer works, I have removed it.

Offline scriptum

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,
I am a friend of the family too. Cannot believe how  indifferent our embassy can get.
The ship's missing are yet to be identified. And the Embassy keeps saying that the body will arrive. They seem to be in the dark more than anyone else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk