Author Topic: "Giant Step" aground  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Pieter

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
"Giant Step" aground
« on: October 08, 2006, 07:45:35 AM »
Thirteen people have been washed overboard after a freighter caught fire and ran aground in stormy weather off eastern Japan, officials said.

Of the 13, an Indian man was found washed ashore and later died, coastguard official Shu Sasaki said. Two other Indians were rescued and were being given medical treatment, while 10 others remained missing.

Thirteen crew members were still trapped aboard the freighter, the Panamanian-registered Giant Step, which was badly damaged and stranded about a mile off Kashima port in east Japan.

Rescue boats could not get near the ship, however, because of heavy winds and rain. Eastern Japan has been hit by stormy weather from tropical storms Babinca and Rumbia in the Pacific Ocean.

Rescuers were searching the coast for the missing and were in touch with those left on the freighter, Sasaki said. He denied an earlier report by Kyodo News agency that two more crew members had been found washed ashore.

Fire broke out in the cabin area of the 98,587-ton freighter on Thursday while it was heading to Kashima from Australia, according to the coastguard. The cause of the fire is still unclear.

The ship had initially told Japanese authorities that none of its 26-member crew - 25 Indians and one Sri Lankan - was injured.

Kashima is 60 miles east of Tokyo.

Offline Mats

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: "Giant Step" aground
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:47:47 AM »
Thanks for the heads up about this terrible accident, Pieter. "Great Step" is a 197.000 dwt ore carrier built in 1985 and controlled by Mitsui OSK Lines.

Pictures and more news HERE and HERE.

Looks very bad! Let's hope they can save as many of the crew as possible.

Mats

Offline newbie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 01:15:09 AM »
Hi sir,

i am new on this forum, just joined today. I found this in my search on the web for latest updates on the "Giant Step" ship tragedy.

I have a friend who was on the ship and is one of the 8 missing Indians.

His family and friends have no contacts in Japan or any means to get updates on rescue efforts.

Could you or anyone on this forum suggest any poossible avenues?

Thank you

Thomas

Offline ultrawhack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:09:14 PM »
Hi Thomas,

My friend is the wife of one of the missing sailors. She is in regular touch with Japanese coastguard and the shipping company.

Please email me at ultrawhack at yahoo dot ca and I will put you in touch with her. My prayers are with you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk