Author Topic: What is the definition of a harbour?  (Read 591 times)

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
What is the definition of a harbour?
« on: December 17, 2023, 09:46:11 PM »
I while ago my photo has been deleted with explanation that it was a marina with yachts, not a harbour. Lately there have been a number of photos under "harbour overview" with yachts only or just a few fishing boats.
So what is the criteria for harbour vs marina?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
Re: What is the definition of a harbour?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 08:27:17 AM »
The site standards say the following:

READ THIS CAREFULLY BEFORE UPLOADING TO THIS CATEGORY

The category is not to be treated as a repository for photos of distant vessels that would not meet site standards. Distant views where harbour features are a small part of the image may be considered for deletion. Members should understand the limitations of their camera.

USE THIS CATEGORY FOR

Photos with clearly visible Harbour features. This may include occupied/unoccupied berths and loading/unloading facilities. The harbour must be used by vessels that meet Shipspotting criteria

Photos of canal locks which meet the above criteria.

FOR THIS CATEGORY :-

DO NOT UPLOAD photos showing an area with ships anchored, but without visible harbour facilities. That type of photo should be placed in the Shipping (main) category, where views of more than one ship normally are placed. They must meet the requirement of this section of the FAQ titled Uploading Issues http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/x ... q/index.php?cat_id=16 (FIX)

DO NOT UPLOAD photos showing close-ups of lighthouses or beacons

DO NOT UPLOAD photos showing breakwaters with water or distant ships in the background, unless harbour features are clearly seen somewhere in the photo.

DO NOT UPLOAD photos of harbours for small yachts and boats used for recreational purposes.This includes Yacht Marinas.]

So the answer to the deletion one of your shots is given in the final sentence. And yet I would support those who would argue that for instance Monaco is not exactly a Marina, given the amount of sizeable yards that are for too large to enter a small British clay exporting port, of which a shot would qualify for inclusion. It sometimes seems that we are making life difficult for ourselves. Would there be a great opposition from members to delete the final four words of this section i.e. : This includes Yacht Marinas. ?

Offline Brent Hanson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 05:25:01 PM »
Morning
Marina = a dock or basin providing secure moorings for pleasure boats and often offering supply, repair, and other facilities.
Yachts are not ships, and for my liking a lot of "clutter" already on the site with the broader use of the shipspotting theme. How many seaside cities in the world if we accept yachting marina's, lighthouses has made an inroad to "swamp" ship images. But I skip anything that is less than several hundred tons of floating steel, the mere discussion and now highlighting the possibility of "yacht marine images" being acceptable would create a new flood of postings and make ships harder to find (filtering removes the pot pourri of the mixed shipping one normally sees when spotting).
Thanks

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 08:57:55 PM »
The site standards say the following:

READ THIS CAREFULLY BEFORE UPLOADING TO THIS CATEGORY

The category is not to be treated as a repository for photos of distant vessels that would not meet site standards. Distant views where harbour features are a small part of the image may be considered for deletion. Members should understand the limitations of their camera.

USE THIS CATEGORY FOR

Photos with clearly visible Harbour features. This may include occupied/unoccupied berths and loading/unloading facilities. The harbour must be used by vessels that meet Shipspotting criteria

Photos of canal locks which meet the above criteria.

FOR THIS CATEGORY :-

DO NOT UPLOAD photos showing an area with ships anchored, but without visible harbour facilities. That type of photo should be placed in the Shipping (main) category, where views of more than one ship normally are placed. They must meet the requirement of this section of the FAQ titled Uploading Issues http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/x ... q/index.php?cat_id=16 (FIX)

DO NOT UPLOAD photos showing close-ups of lighthouses or beacons

DO NOT UPLOAD photos showing breakwaters with water or distant ships in the background, unless harbour features are clearly seen somewhere in the photo.

DO NOT UPLOAD photos of harbours for small yachts and boats used for recreational purposes.This includes Yacht Marinas.]

So the answer to the deletion one of your shots is given in the final sentence. And yet I would support those who would argue that for instance Monaco is not exactly a Marina, given the amount of sizeable yards that are for too large to enter a small British clay exporting port, of which a shot would qualify for inclusion. It sometimes seems that we are making life difficult for ourselves. Would there be a great opposition from members to delete the final four words of this section i.e. : This includes Yacht Marinas. ?

Thank you. So this is a marina then and not a port?
https://www.shipspotting.com/photos/3660563?navList=homePhotoFooter&perPage=18&page=21&list=latest&timestamp=1702932600

Offline WalAndPl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 03:33:10 PM »
Since the link quoted above refers to the photo I posted, I would like to refer to it. According to the "site standards" quoted above for the "harbour" category: "The harbor must be used by vessels that meet Shipspotting criteria"

In the attached photo, I can recognize at least three ships that fall into the accepted category of "motor yachts from 20m loa" (39.6m Wetsport 110-class motor yacht VISION, 37m motor yacht TIME FOR US and unrecognized 33.5m Horizon RP110-type yacht). There will probably be a few more that meet these criteria as well.

Fort Lauderdale is a port used mostly by superyachts and smaller yachts, just like Monaco, Antibes and Marbella. Following this line of thought, should or should not photos of this type of ports, showing, in addition to the infrastructure, only show photos of motor yachts (>20m loa) be accepted?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk