Author Topic: New category.  (Read 1724 times)

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
  • Soon.......................
    • View Profile
New category.
« on: November 12, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »
Hi Forum,

I think this is worthy of a mention.

I believe that a new Category is in the offing for the site. Something a little off the cuff perhaps but still to do with shipping nonetheless.

I've just been watching a 4 minute clip on YouTube from the movie The Italian Job (Self Preservation Society) and at 0.53-0.54, Michael Caine is seen at what could be Dover/Harwich or even on the European side at a ferry terminal with a ferry loading in the background. The movie was made in 1969.

Perhaps a category for Movie Ships (actual) for vessels that are seen in the background. Whenever I've seen vessels passing in background I've always wanted to know the name(s) and there are plenty of TV/movies out there. 'The Streets of San Francisco' for one which as we know is as well known for its port as it is its name.

Just a thought,

Regards

P.S. Just looking at the Italian Job vessel, it could be this one IMO 6506317, which is really interesting to see in her new guise
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 11:04:53 AM by MattB »

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: New category.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 11:38:57 AM »
I don't think anyone could get that though. Too blurry.

Offline Owen Foley

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Above & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 11:40:43 AM »
'The Streets of San Francisco' for one which as we know is as well known for its port as it is its name.
Fixed it ....The yellow freighter from the opening credits of The Streets of San Francisco
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 11:42:14 AM by Owen Foley »

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 11:52:09 AM »
That's better

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2023, 11:55:42 AM »
And then there's the British frigate from the movie You Only Live Twice.

Offline Ian Thomas

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2023, 05:40:03 PM »
And the Frigate was HMS Tenby MattB a local in our eyes here in South West Wales.
Photo corrections Admin for Tankers and Data Editor.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 08:08:42 PM »
Dino de Laurentiis chartered the Norwegian tanker Susanne Onstad (7374096) for the "transportation" of King Kong to New York. At the time she was new and because of the oil crisis any employment for new ships was welcome.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 08:55:54 PM »
There was also a cruise ship in the movie, not sure of the name, maybe Rush, played in the Caribbeans, in the movie it crashed into a pear spectacularly destroying some condos.

A horror move where a cable zips across the deck cutting everybody in half except a little girl.

Poseidon's adventure is another one, the ship encounters a rogue wave, capsizes. 

Another cruise ship in a movie, I think "Britannic" where somebody places a number of explosives in a barrels throughout the ship and a team of deminers are dropped by parachute to rescue the ship and the passengers.

And of course Top Gun aircraft carriers, and ships from the movie Battleship.

Just some I can think of now.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 10:07:53 PM by csaba »

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2023, 12:49:45 AM »
@Ian - HMS TENBY !!! Wow,  now that’s something I wasn’t aware of.  Cheers for that.

@Pieter - always was a favourite of mine King Kong. But didn’t know that either and it’s all CGI now and computer wizardry.

@csaba - I recall that horror movie with the cable. You could almost see that coming (unlike the passengers)

Then theirs the Tom Phillips movie about the up-to-date Somali pirates. Also, I think there was the movie Speed II which involved a genuine, real but small cruise ship.

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2023, 05:37:14 AM »
I think it was Seabourn Odyssey

Offline Brent Hanson

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2023, 06:05:44 AM »
Hi MattB
If we have lighthouses, can't see why we can't have movie ships. Great idea already some good chatting. Re points raised:
Maxim Gorkiy in 1974 was hired for the movie Juggernaut, photoshopped to the name Britannic.
Speed2 (Keeanu and Sandra) were onboard Seabourn Legend

Be interesting to find what was the stand-in for the nefarious Exxon Valdez in Waterworld.

Good topic.

Cheers

Brent

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2023, 04:32:30 PM »
Hey Brent,
Yes, it would be a good one I think although now without its problems though. Movie ships are hard to come by unlike the BLACK WIDOW U475.

Must try to get down there at some point and get some shots. Should be fairly easy to access it surely.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 10:41:32 PM »
The "Canis" was a big part of the "Die hard 3", her imo: 7915541
Name in the film: "Forest Swan"

Offline lappino

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 12:17:48 AM »
The final scenes in the (pretty low cost) TV movie "Sea Beast" were filmed aboard the decommissioned ferry "Queen of Sidney" (IMO No. 5288011).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fum5fULI0Q

Offline MattB

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 10:59:12 AM »
@Tomas - was that scene right at the end of the movie? I always thought it was Mel Gibson, not Bruce Willis for some reason.

@lappino - thanks for the link. I skimmed through it. With the image near the end, when it comes up on the screen, I used to think they scribbled some fictitious name onto a ship/boat/plane whatever the subject is but this one actually exists.

The 2001 movie Pearl Harbour is another example. Those 4 Navy ships moored together inside the the harbor didn't appear to have any markings on. I think someone once said they were part of a reserve fleet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk