Author Topic: getting a chance to re-upload: getting a heads up notice before deletion  (Read 933 times)

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
Within hours after I posted a photo of submarine Zeeleeuw it was deleted along with all the valuable comments made by some of our members while others never even had a chance to see it.

allow members to re-upload a better version so possible valuabvle comments made byother members will get not lost as well.

Also please give members warning prior to deletion allowing to re-upload another, better pics.

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
    • My photos on Shipspotting.com
Re: getting a chance to re-upload: getting a heads up notice before deletion
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 03:17:46 PM »
Dirk,

Please YOU make a favour to us admins and webmasters, and post the BETTER QUALITY image immediately. Why would you post a bad, pixelated version first?

Also, the VALUABLE information was that the submarine was IDENTIFIED. Why is it important for our members to see the bad, pixelated photo?

Also, when the photo was moved to CFD, you were sent a PM about it. We can do no more. The system was already enhanced after YOU asked for it.

I again, await your answer, which you now two times in a row have NOT given.

Regards,
Aleksi Lindström
Vice Webmaster Shipspotting.com

P.S. If you want to continue this debate by PM, please do so.

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 06:42:25 PM »
How much time was I given between time of deletion notice and actual deletion? Maybe a few hours overnight, when you don't consider in western Canada it is night time and most people are asleep....

Valuable comments deleted/lost included the interesting link as to why this Dutch submarine was in Coruna, Spain in the first place.

This member also took the time time to share this with me and everybody else on this site.

Please allow some reasonable time between deletion notice and actual deletion.

Thanks

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 06:44:22 PM »
This will never be understood...

Dirk, you had so many of these cases when you upload a clearly pixelated or low quality photo that obviously breaks the site standards & which eventually gets deleted, yet nothing gets learned no matter how many times it will be repeating.
Why can't the initial photo be not pixelated / low quality but be original high quality one how it comes out of your camera? Unless you have something wrong with your camera settings or you purposefully compress your photos to be of low quality or you crop & upscale photos so that's why they are pixelated. You never answered anything regarding this.
And once your photo gets reported/CFDed, you DO get a notification about it which means you need to do something if you don't want to have it deleted. It's when you can reupload a better version of that photo, or you can notify right there in CFD comments that admins shouldn't hurry with deleting this because you're about to reupload a better version.  After all, CFDed photos don't get deleted the next minute they are reported.

Also please give members warning prior to deletion allowing to re-upload another, better pics.

I can only think of a some rule that once the photo gets reported/CFDed - a 1 week (or how much?) should be guaranteed that a photo will not be deleted. 1 week would be enough for member to act about it - either have discussion in CFD comments or reupload better version. After 1 week if nothing was reached or if the decision to delete didn't change, the admins would have a green light for deletion if it must be done.
But members must have in mind that when their photo is reported/CFDed - it's hidden from public view, it doesn't get new views/likes/comments, it can be only seen by uploader & admins.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 09:13:43 PM by Dеnis »
Regards,
Denis

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 06:52:40 PM »
Exactly Denis,

We have now been waiting for about two years for Dirk to start uploading photos with no pixelation problem. Myself and Pieter have sent him numerous emails and PM's stating how the problem can be avoided, but to no avail. No progress can be seen.

And for those who wonder why we are having this discussion here in public, it's because Dirk wanted it so and I respect that decision.

Regards,
Aleksi

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 04:44:26 AM »
This will never be understood...

Dirk, you had so many of these cases when you upload a clearly pixelated or low quality photo that obviously breaks the site standards & which eventually gets deleted, yet nothing gets learned no matter how many times it will be repeating.
Why can't the initial photo be not pixelated / low quality but be original high quality one how it comes out of your camera? Unless you have something wrong with your camera settings or you purposefully compress your photos to be of low quality or you crop & upscale photos so that's why they are pixelated. You never answered anything regarding this.
And once your photo gets reported/CFDed, you DO get a notification about it which means you need to do something if you don't want to have it deleted. It's when you can reupload a better version of that photo, or you can notify right there in CFD comments that admins shouldn't hurry with deleting this because you're about to reupload a better version.  After all, CFDed photos don't get deleted the next minute they are reported.

@ Dennis:

I can only think of a some rule that once the photo gets reported/CFDed - a 1 week (or how much?) should be guaranteed that a photo will not be deleted. 1 week would be enough for member to act about it - either have discussion in CFD comments or reupload better version. After 1 week if nothing was reached or if the decision to delete didn't change, the admins would have a green light for deletion if it must be done.
But members must have in mind that when their photo is reported/CFDed - it's hidden from public view, it doesn't get new views/likes/comments, it can be only seen by uploader & admins.
In this case I certainly was not given any notice/given a chance to re-upload.

My photo may have been pixelated bur certainly was/is not out of focus.

After having seen some of my photographs showing up on Marine Traffic under the copyright name of a Tom McDonagh; (example East Isle 1585200), I have all my 10,000+ photos posted at a lower quality. btw. former Webmaster Ken Smith went after them and got that fixed!

What exactly are the rules about pixelation? How can I check this? What are the minimum requirements?

Can I still get a chance to re-upload and not lose the comments and links given by two members?

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 12:14:53 PM »
What exactly are the rules about pixelation? How can I check this? What are the minimum requirements?

There are no rules about pixelation itself, but like I have previously informed you, it is to do with sharpness. There are many kind of unsharpness and being out of focus is just one of them. In your case it's the low quality which causes the pixelation and therefore not being sharp.

I see you have two options:

a) start uploading photos in good, acceptable quality (even if they might be stolen, that's a threat we all face)

b) stop uploading your photos here, because low quality photos are not accepted now and won't be accepted in the future and will be deleted

Regards,
Aleksi

P.S. We are not responsible for you losing the comments. If you want to make sure, you can save them on your computer, in Word for example.

Offline Dеnis

• Photo Administrator
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 02:03:49 PM »
I would suggest to Dirk to save the photo page on Webarchive, so it could be preserved as, is even if the photo gets eventually deleted.
Regards,
Denis

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 07:13:44 PM »
Referring back to my original Subject, getting a chance to re-upload: getting a heads up notice before deletion, I still have not received an answer.

I certainly will make sure I will post future photos at a accepted quality.

Also, I still would like to re-upload my photo of submarine Zeeleeuw with the member comments including that link as to why this Dutch Navy submarine was in Coruna, Spain in the first place. I'm sure your IT person can still recover these.

dirk septer

Offline Aleksi Lindström

• Vice Webmaster
  • Top Poster
  • Never give up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 07:18:39 PM »
Also, I still would like to re-upload my photo of submarine Zeeleeuw with the member comments including that link as to why this Dutch Navy submarine was in Coruna, Spain in the first place. I'm sure your IT person can still recover these.

dirk septer

I will not spend any more time dealing with this and neither will IT. Case closed. Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk