Author Topic: DELETIONS, Important notification  (Read 2406 times)

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
DELETIONS, Important notification
« on: September 19, 2023, 03:30:12 PM »
Hi All

Some of you already have some experience with our new deletion system, but now is the time to officially introduce it.

The Site Standards, part How to upload photos, contains a new section 16, which I have reproduced below.

"16. What is the considered for deletion (CFD) process?

In case Admins encounter photos that have been uploaded and do not meet the site standards (for a variety of reasons), the photo will be considered for deletion (CFD), whereby the admin will indicate the primary reason for potential deletion. Once a photo has entered the category: "Considered for deletion", it will only be visible for Admins and the photographer concerned.

When this is done, the photographer will automatically receive a private message regarding the change in status of his uploaded photo. The photographer will have the opportunity to react to the suggestion made by the admin. If he agrees, he can delete the shot himself, if not a discussion can start how to deal with the shot. As the discussion will be out of sight from the other users, it can take place in a quiet and friendly atmosphere, without external interference.

Depending on the reason for the possible deletion, the Admins can propose various solutions to prevent this, all to be discussed with the photographer and only applied with his permission.

Several admins are quite capable of enhancing photos to a level where site standards can be met. This involves simple actions such as leveling horizons, sharpening and cropping in case the resolution of a photo results in a non-sharp version when shown at full size.

Also more elaborate activities can be undertaken such as editing out obstructions (within limits of course), color adjustments and for analogue photos the removal of scratches and blemishes. Editing of a photo can be easily done via the re-upload function, also available to the photographer. If the photographer has the software and the skills, he, of course can do that by himself, whereby the result will be reviewed by the Admins

In other words there are several ways in which admins can help to make a photo acceptable.

In this way a proper and balanced judgement about a photo can be guaranteed, resulting in either a deletion of the photo, or acceptance, whereby the CFD will be resolved, and the (adjusted) shot becomes visible again for all users. Actual deletions can only be done by the (Vice)Webmaster(s). Resolving a CFD can also be done by the Admin(s) involved in the discussion.

As you can see, deletions will always involve the photographer immediately, so that he is aware of what is happening and can influence the proceedings.

We also offer options to improve the quality of photos to the level that they can meet site standards, but of course only when feasible within our capabilities.  This should however not be seen as an open invitation to flood the site with mediocre photos just hoping that Admin will improve them.  In an ideal world the best solution to all deletion problems will of course to always produce photos that meet site standards, making Admin redundant, but reality is different, hence this new, more user oriented, approach.

Thank you

Pieter Melissen
Webmaster

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DELETIONS, Important notification
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 06:25:26 PM »
Thank you for this Pieter.  It sounds like a sensible solution to a thorny issue.  One question - is there a maximum timeframe for photographs to be placed in the CFD category?  In other words could a photograph I uploaded yesterday, last week or last year become CFD?   Thanks again for your hard work on this great site. 

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 06:37:39 PM »
Hello Barry

I normally work on a timescale of 12 to 18 months, anything older is normally protected.
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 06:39:48 PM »
Thanks Barry,

Regarding your question, practice and availability of Admin staff will indicate what will happen, but I doubt that it all CFD's will taken place within a week of posting, but if there will be a case of 8 days, please don't nail me for that.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 06:40:57 PM »
Hello Barry

I normally work on a timescale of 12 to 18 months, anything older is normally protected.

That being the time between CFD and actual deletion?

Offline Adrian Ford

• Vice Webmaster
  • Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 06:48:04 PM »
Hello Pieter & Barry

No that is the time the admins got to find any bad phonographs, anything older unless exceptional circumstances will be safeguarded.

The amount of time between CFD and deletion hasnt had a time scale placed on it
Adrian Ford admin for Shipping, Ancient, Museum, Steam, Barge Carriers, Barges, Offshore, Ships under repair or conversion ,  Research,  Special Purpose Ships, Storm sections, views are mine only.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 06:58:15 PM »
It seems we have more things to improve then.....

Offline Barry Graham

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 07:00:11 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications.  I only ask because a while ago I had a photograph deleted which I had posted several years previously.  I wondered if it would be policy to trawl through the site to identify non compliant photographs that had escaped attention.  (Not a big issue - just curious) 

Offline csaba

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 03:28:39 AM »
I think ID-ing old photos that don't meet the site standard and reporting them should be OK.

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 05:31:15 AM »
I think ID-ing old photos that don't meet the site standard and reporting them should be OK.

That would be a significant clean-up operation, and rather than looking backward, we can better spend our time dealing with what is ahead of us.

Offline Kyle Stubbs

• Top Poster
  • Something something Danger Zone.
    • View Profile
    • Puget Ships
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 02:31:54 PM »

That would be a significant clean-up operation, and rather than looking backward, we can better spend our time dealing with what is ahead of us.

I feel like there are some situations where it should be prioritized. For example, bad images are often given an exemption and kept on the site when they are the first image uploaded of a particular vessel. In the long run, however, how often is the photo readdressed after other examples that do meet the quality standards have been added? I can see this kind of "temporary exemption" regularly slipping through the cracks, especially for vessels that do not have an IMO number.

Perhaps, in particular if a vessel is still active, the vessels featured in photos granted a temporary exemption for poor quality should be added to a "wanted" list of vessel photos, either publicly viewable or maintained for admin use only?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 02:35:07 PM by Kyle Stubbs »
"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Mark Twain

Offline dirk septer

• Home away from home
  • Navigare necesse est
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 02:35:00 AM »
 What is the considered for deletion (CFD) process?

In case Admins encounter photos that have been uploaded and do not meet the site standards (for a variety of reasons), the photo will be considered for deletion (CFD), whereby the admin will indicate the primary reason for potential deletion. Once a photo has entered the category: "Considered for deletion", it will only be visible for Admins and the photographer concerned.

When this is done, the photographer will automatically receive a private message regarding the change in status of his uploaded photo. The photographer will have the opportunity to react to the suggestion made by the admin. If he agrees, he can delete the shot himself, if not a discussion can start how to deal with the shot. As the discussion will be out of sight from the other users, it can take place in a quiet and friendly atmosphere, without external interference.

Depending on the reason for the possible deletion, the Admins can propose various solutions to prevent this, all to be discussed with the photographer and only applied with his permission.

Referring to the above: re: how much time will be given to re-upload a photograph marked in the CFD?

A photograph I posted on the evening (Vancouver, Canada) marked CFD because a slight obstruction is already deleted next morning and I finally receive an e-mail notification of the deletion later that day.

Why was I not given a chance to re-upload?

Offline pieter melissen

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ultimatecarpage.com
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 06:39:33 AM »
Referring to the above: re: how much time will be given to re-upload a photograph marked in the CFD?

A photograph I posted on the evening (Vancouver, Canada) marked CFD because a slight obstruction is already deleted next morning and I finally receive an e-mail notification of the deletion later that day.

Why was I not given a chance to re-upload?

I have been informed that you have had dealings with the Admins about this case, and that you know perfectly well how things worked. If you keep on trying to stir the pot, you will be banned. (As happened before, but this time it will be permanently).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 09:34:42 AM by pieter melissen »

Offline Bjoern Eddy Engelbrethsen

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Norske skip 1850-2023
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2023, 05:45:18 PM »
Hello Pieter.
Have received some CFD's. In these cases thats all OK, but I feel its a little wrong when the message is sent from a "no-reply adress".
Then its no possibility for me to come with an explanation.
Best regards
Bj

Offline Pieter_Inpijn

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2023, 05:44:11 PM »
I agree with Bjoern Eddy Engelbrethsen: it is rather impersonal.
Also I would like to see a list on the website which persons are behind the admin codings like AF, AL, etc.
Now any communication is impossible.
And sometimes I notice that admin team is putting a remark in the description box of a photo.
But how do I know that they did that, a PM would be nice.
Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk