Author Topic: Not in focus  (Read 4299 times)

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Not in focus
« on: September 08, 2015, 07:35:11 AM »

After 2,5 years of posting photos onto this site I still don't understand when the Admin states: Not in focus
This is my general query and refers only to some deletions happened to me 2-3 months ago.

- You focus the subject within the 'green frame' in your view-finder of the camera; I use Nikon cameras
- You click your shutter button half-way-down on your camera to confirm the focus; focus confirmation is clearly displayed in the view-finder of your camera; the re-confirmation of focus is positive
- Your camera is on a tripod and you make the final full-way-down click on your shutter button to shoot the photo;

I don't understand what means Not in focus in the case of the Admin, and perhaps in the general sense of meaning.
Could somebody, experienced photographer,  please clarify & explain to me the meaning of the phrase Not in focus, and actually what is the cause of the subject being not in focus ( if it is really not !? )

Regards /Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Re: Not in focus
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »

For better understanding the meaning of my above query, the full phrase of the Admin(s) read:
The picture is out of focus and detail difficult to see

... got married to ships

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »
Jadran,

Out of focus is a generic catch-all phrase for pictures which are not sharp. This covers a multitude of sins, including where the weather or light conditions have exceeded the limitations of the camera. For example, lens movement due to strong wind or simply where the camera cannot cope with poor light and long distance, producing unsharp, mushy or 'noisy' images.

I hope that this does not degenerate into another slanging match regarding site standards. Instead, I recommend that everyone checks out the new forum for the site standards which has been publicised here.

Brgds
Phil

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »

Thank you very much Phil !

So, as I well understand now, the "Not in focus" or "Out of focus" actually doesn't involve the focus-of-the-focus matter, but involves on the other hand the certain all various issues that you have kindly mentioned and described.

I was thinking at first of entering this my query into the Forum for the new Site standards, but this separate kind of my query & entry really doesn't have anything to do with the new Site standards proposals ... therefore, I opened this separate Topic for photo advice, to clarify my query, and consequently to help me further-on in my understanding and in my photography.

With very best regards,
Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline jadran

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »

Phil, or anybody else who knows about that ..... in the above 3rd entry is also mentioned the expression 'noisy' image.
Could I learn/be explained what is a 'noisy' image and how that looks like i.e. appears on the photo.
How can I specifically recognize on the photo that the image is 'noisy' ?
Thank you in advance,
Jadran

... got married to ships

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »
You're welcome, Jadran. For you and anyone else who is interested, here's a useful link explaining digital photo noise:

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0012955/article/FAQ-What-is-Noise-in-a-Digital-Photograph

Brgds
Phil

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
Very interesting how about changing that phrase to "Photo not sharp". It is understood by everyone :) Sometimes complicated wording makes also a matter a bit "unsharp" ;)

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »
As Phil already mentioned, if you have not already done so, please add your views on this subject on the Consultation forum at http://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php/topic,14364.0.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:05:06 PM by davidships »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk