Author Topic: Ferry accident Hong Kong Macau  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Ferry accident Hong Kong Macau
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »
There was a ferry accident HK-Macau does anyone knows the name of the ship? It was a red ferry
more than 50 people were injured. The ferry had 220 passengers and 13 staff.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/bild-974925-708140.html
http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/china-58-verletzte-bei-faehrunglueck-auf-der-route-hongkong-macau-a-974925.html

Peter

I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Aquizard

• Not too shy to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry accident Hong Kong Macau
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »
The fast ferry in this item of news is an Aluminium 929-115 series Jetfoil high speed passenger ferry that was built in 1981 by Boeing Jetfoil Industries, based at Seattle, in Washington, U.S.A. (Yard No 18). The customer was Trasmediterranea which originally operated, at one time, a number of craft of this type around the Canary Islands and it was called Princesa Guayarmina. Sometime in 1991 the craft was then sold onto a Honk Kong (HK) based owner TurboJet and renamed Cacilhas, operating on the HK to Macau route.
Looking at the damage sustained by the craft following the collision with the breakwater it has caused major damage to the front and rear struts. These support the craft when it is operating foilbourne, I understand that the craft on this route are fitted with night vision to assist the crew during night time journeys and this was one of the many night journeys from HK to Macau that these craft regularly undertake. Whether or not the craft is repairable after the damage remains to be seen, but I do recall some years ago that there was a collision not far away from this location between two such craft again IIRC at night.

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ferry accident Hong Kong Macau
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
Thanks Aquizard !
for the detail information
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova. My favorite is the Suez Canal, Panama Canal and since 2006 also Chinese harbours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk