Author Topic: Forum time and date governs Photo Box Details dates  (Read 8709 times)

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
  • Smooth sailing and following seas to all seafarers
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
Forum time and date governs Photo Box Details dates
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »
Just a heads up for everyone:

Forum time and date governs Photo Box Details dates for Added and Captured dates.

I have determined, through long period of trial and error, that it is fairly certain that the time and date default in the Forum under Settings Look and Layout Preferences is governing the Captured and Added Dates that will show up in the final presentation Photo Box Details.

For example, if a member in the Pacific Time zone posts a photo late at night, the Captured and Added Dates in the Photo Detail Box will show dates that are different and the Added Date will be 24 hours different from the date, the member posted the photo when in fact, these dates should be the same.

Here is a recent posting that shows this phenomena:
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1965082

Having the default Forum date and time govern the displayed Added Date is a programming glitch that could be fixed.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 10:53:33 PM by Oldkayaker »

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
Re: Forum time and date governs Photo Box Details dates
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
Ken

My explanation tells members how, why and when the different Details Box dates occur.

Your explanation says having different Captured and Added Dates show in the Photo Details box is immaterial.

OK..
now we know why this happens. 

Oldkayaker
John

Offline Kelvin Davies

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://kelvindavies.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:37 AM »
It seems to me the time & date of photo submission is governed by server time.
The server is located in Sweden so the date of submission will always be driven by Swedish time.
If the settings in the forum "look & layout" parameters were relevant and set to your local time, then every photo would show different times for different viewers around the world.
That would result in the possibility of you adding a photo and seeing your local time as the "added" time.
Ten minutes later, someone could add a photo from a different time zone and it may show up as being added 12 hours before you added yours.
Now that wouldn't be smart, would it?
Not only that but seriously, what difference does it make anyway?
Kelvin

Offline Robert Smith

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »
Frankly, I find this whole argument ludicrous. Let's assume the average lifespan of a vessel is 20 years. That's equivalent to about 175,000 hours. (Give and take a few due to leap years etc.) This guy is moaning about max.1 day, i.e. 24 hrs. or roughly 0,0001369 %
Get a life !

>:(

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:45:44 PM »
Kelvin

Correct, you may be, but the point is that the Added and Captured Dates in a member's Photo Detail box will be different, if the member's real time of posting is different from the Forum time and date.

The Details Box definitions for Added and Captured should be correctly labelled as one being generated by the member and the other being generated by the program (forum clock).

Simple solution. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:56:55 PM »
I have to agree with Robert, what the hell does it matter.  Put in the date it was taken, local time, and that's it. 

Allan

Offline John Jones

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:00:08 PM »
John,

Talking of time.... you must have a lot of it to spare. Apparently there are 82,627 members on this site (whether active or not.) I would suggest that probably 82,626 of those have no problem with how this works and have understood Ken's countless explanations to yourself.

Please can we let this one drop now?

Regards
John J.
Any views expressed in the forum are my own personal opinions and are not to be taken as those of members of the admin team or of the site owners.

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 05:11:23 AM »
John J... I know of others who have wrestled with this very same puzzle about one date in and two dates out; but, they too dropped it for lack of help and advice.

Consequently, after finding out, on my own, without advice or help from the powers that be; I'll drop this matter, with the knowledge of knowing what causes the conflicting Added and Captured dates and that knowledge is apparently the only solution that will be forthcoming. ;D ;D

Offline Jens Boldt

• Photo Corrections
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »
On Tuesday Swedish crown princess Victoria has been visiting Hamburg. As this website's server is located in Sweden (as Kelvin says) I talked to her about this problem. She promised to investigate this asap!
 ;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Jens

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
I bought a clock from Ikea. It only tells the time in Swedish  ;D

Brgds
Phil

DanEarl

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »
Strange that Phil, I bought an oven from Ikea, no matter when I put food in it to cook it will only cook on the date and time it wants too, I make no fuss about it, simply get a takeaway instead !

Cheers,

Dan.

(I think this is the end of this thread, Ken will kindly put a lock onto it)

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »
Back to Acme Labs.. ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk