Author Topic: No more video posts?  (Read 13458 times)

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
No more video posts?
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:06:45 AM »
I hope no-one minds if I just open out a question that has arisen again for me.

As a mostly-retired journo, I enjoy exploring different ways of dealing with news and news stories in relation to one my interests, ships and shipping. I make films on this topic, as members here will know.

However, the webmaster, the excellent Ken Smith, has again asked me to not post videos into the forums, and that leaves me in a quandary.

For my own shipspotting videos, it isn't much of a problem - I tend to post them around on Facebook shipspotting groups as well as here on the video page (pretty useless, and often inundated with continental canal barges!), and they get a good response. I have been posting them on the "Trip Reports" forum, and take it that this is where they are NOT wanted?

But I like to post my news-related videos here on the "Shipping News & Information" forum, and I understand Ken wants me to stop posting these here, too. Other people post news videos from other sources, which is fine, and I sometimes post Shipping TV links to external videos, which I can't post onto this site's specific video page, because I don't own the copyright, as this page requires.

I'd be interested to see what other members think. Do you find my video content worth showing in the forums, or would you prefer not? Do you ever visit this site's video page, which I think is old-fashioned and difficult to search, compared to the photo pages?

I'm not asking these questions to upset the status quo, but really just to discover if I'm wasting my time using this site, which doesn't seem to really want my content. I'm quite interesting in taking a look at creating a more specific shipspotting video forum, to encourage people to make and show more shipping-related video, and have started experimenting with this little forum site: http://www.shipvideo.freeforums.org

I really would welcome your comments, good and bad, on what I produce, and on shipping and shipspotting video in general. Do you find it interesting and worth having?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:18:49 AM by chrisg46 »
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
Re: No more video posts?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »
Just a thought . . . How about the "Trip Reports" forum? The most recent post by anyone other than me with odd videos was back around November 25th, so that seemed like an area that could do with more activity!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:58:48 AM by chrisg46 »
Chris

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »
Hello Folks,

I may give my opinion here:

"Trip reports" is - reports, with text and photos. I think,this is the meaning. So, if someone is going on a cruise, or like me, on other ships, then may write a Report, and place here with photos or link to photos. There is the right section for this.

I personally never watch anything from the Video/film section here, although sometimes I like watching films on YouTube, if there is a "Special Topic" apart from the usual.

I THINK - both, films, and links to films, should have a place here, and also would be of interest. Here, there are People from all nations, and every Country - has different stuff and it is always interesting to see something new.

Why not creating a sub-section on this Forum here "FILMS AND VIDEOS" where everyone can place own self-made films, and a sub-section on this films Topic "Links to Films". I think, that would be a nice idea, and - right place, for the right Content.

Greetings,

Cornelia

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
Thanks for your comment, Cornelia, much appreciated.

I'd hoped that I might hear a few more views, but suppose I must assume that members really aren't that bothered either way! Fair enough . . .
Chris

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
I very much value your own News videos related to threads here on "Shipping News and information".  As you have your own website, a hotlink to there would be my preference (and can lead to looking at other there, so maybe that would be better for you that posting a stand-alone video here).  I would prefer that new video links on subjects covered before are added to earlier threads rather than creating new threads - they still get bumped up to the top as a new posting.

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 10:30:15 AM »
Thanks, David . . That's pretty much what I think, butI'm fairly convinced that Ken would be against that, too - I've asked, but perhaps he's too busy with Christmas, etc., to come back to me!
Chris

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 06:55:39 AM »
Ken, I think that after some months I've finally understood your objection, and have written a pm to you! I hope I'm right!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 07:03:11 AM by chrisg46 »
Chris

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 10:35:17 AM »
You're wasting your time Chris. Because they created a special place for video, they think they did a great thing. They keep on telling that we are uploading video's, which we don't, we're only uploading a link to our own material. You said that after month's you understand the objection. Maybe you could sent me a PM and explain it to mee too. I really don't get it.

Cheers Fred

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »
Well, I'm pleased to report that Ken and I have had a long PM chat, and I think I understand what the problem was - and I think it is easy enough to put right, from my own point of view, and hopefully from everyone else's. We've made an arrangement which will let me continue to show films on the site with few problems, and I hope to continue to enjoy sharing my output here into the future.

I'm also really pleased to hear from Ken that Shipspotting's video section will get a rethink and some updating in the future, which I hope will make it more user-friendly for both film-makers and viewers. Although video volumes will never approach anything like the number of stills on the site, there seems to be a fast growing interest from a number of film-makers, and it is time that the site acknowledged this by improving the video page, by perhaps making it searchable by film-maker, topic, ship-type, etc.
Chris

Offline Oldkayaker

• Supporter
  • Home away from home
  • Smooth sailing and following seas to all seafarers
    • View Profile
    • Biking Benicia
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
I would recommend you use the Add Video function which was performing OK for me, except recently my video's have not been re-playing.

I keep getting the laundry list of instructions about what to do and my browser are clear, current and up-to-date but the video is still not playing   ??? ??? ???

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »
Well, sad to say, Mr Smith he talk with forked tongue.

Won't be posting here again.

Thanks to all members for the help, support and friendliness extended.

My little Shipping TV website will continue!
Chris

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 08:43:17 AM »

Sad to hear Chris, but I think you are right, it is best if we leave this place for photos and create our own niche, our own site. Where we get the exposure we like for our work in a way we like.

Cheers Fred

Offline Petros Psarras

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • News about Piraeus
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »
When I post a video IMO number is asked so I think that fact will help the admins .  Also there are few members posting 20 videos per hour ! That 's madness! Shipspotting means photoshooting and videoshooting ships !! Not only photos!!

By the way merry Xmas to everyone ! Hohoho
Once at Piraeus ,forever at Piraeus!

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 09:20:46 AM »
That's not my point Petros. But you are right, some people upload movies in bulk and they sometimes aren't of best quality.

Cheers Fred

Offline Petros Psarras

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • News about Piraeus
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 11:10:37 AM »
"this is pointless and we have an example today from Petros Psarras who appears to want the best of both worlds by publishing the same in both the Forum and the Video Category, this is not on."

If you mean my signature (as I understood from the pm) ,it's ok I changed it. But I cannot understand why I am referred as a "bad example" ... I said that from the time the Imo number is asked in order to upload a video, why can't the videos be listed in such a way as the ships photos... There are many video uploaders who had not uploaded even one photo... I,from my side, I had uploaded many photos...and thanks to all of you ( I mean it!) had a lot of views... That's why I prefer shispotting from marinetraffic.com... I think that our hobbie is more appreciated here due to best quality photos that are uploaded here.

I don't mind if my video has 0 or 10000 views here in shipspotting... I post it here because I like your site. But I don't like some people who disrespect our effort.

My videos are of medium quality...but I am angry when I see people disrespecting some excellent videos such as Fred Vloo's or Chrisg46's by uploading ....containers of videos :P

If we all want to keep shipspotting in no1 place in the ship photos galleries sites ,there must be mutual respect!! Between the members...and between the admins and the members..We are all the same....
Once at Piraeus ,forever at Piraeus!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk