Author Topic: Somali Pirates  (Read 3631 times)

Offline Ian Horsfall

• Quite a regular
    • View Profile
Somali Pirates
« on: August 03, 2013, 01:32:35 AM »
The Daily Mail UK says 4 Pirates will face the life in prison sentence instead of the Death penalty after killing 4 white people, while sailing of the coast of Yemen.

The  4 white people, what were they thinking of sailing in these waters,but would have been different if I was on the Jury.
Somalia oneday  3 square meale and health care the rest of there lives, WTF

Drake is rolling in his grave

Offline Tuomas Romu

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
Re: Somali Pirates
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »
While I share your sentiment, with my father being a sailor and everything, and I agree that the piracy problem needs to be solved for good in a way or other, I do not want to return to the "good old days" when pirates and other unwanted people were treated in a way you described. We have come a long way from the 16th century (not to mention ancient Babylonia, where surprisingly many want to return) and many of the things that have brought us this far and make us better as humans are related to the way we treat other people, including those who go against us. Everyone, regardless of what they have done, have a right to a fair trial and punishment according to the law, which in today's world should not include torture or cruelty.

Also, I noticed you mentioned "white" twice. What if the people would have been of some other colour?

Offline jeanbart

• Just popping in
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:23:48 AM »
Maybe he mentioned twice "white" not because of racism, but because white people are seen in mostly of poor african countries as a "pocket full of money" and very low price of life. Same as my experiences in Sierra-Leone, Morocco and Liberia.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:25:31 AM by jeanbart »

Offline Captain Ted

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »
For my part as Captain of a ship

Nice white wall and a few smoking barrels afterwards and problem solved. I am aware that
this is not "political correct" anymore nowadays. But to my knowledge they come to the ships by force and not with flowers first. They also have full intent of hurting and/or killing sailors if needed. So name me one reason why they should not face harsh treatment ?
Don,t come now with the excuse they grew up poor and bla bla bla,, I grew up poor too and did not become a criminal or whatever.

And you have a point with the WHITE, when I sailed West-Africa with reefer ships 2000-2003
we were considered cash cows and automatic rich. Also I have to say I met a lot decent peoples there too who lived in sometimes terrible conditions and still did not become criminals,
So the question is,, does being poor and bad living conditions give me the right to become a criminal and pirate and take therefore other peoples lives ?  Already the bible etc says,,eye for an eye. leaves now the question why now not. I countries like Saudi Arabia/China and some others they would be long time dead already and NOBODY would protest, only when a certain western country does the same,,protests world wide 
NOW!!!,,,if we could get rid of the sailors,,how safe shipping would be !!!!!!!!

Offline chrisg46

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Shipping TV
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »
Yup, I'm with Ted. If I'm sailing along quietly going about my business, polishing my binnacle, etc., and someone comes up with guns blazing, with no interest other than taking my ship, my cargo and maybe my life, what do I do?

The truth, I think, is that these pirates don't have any hesitation in killing or injuring ships crews in pursuit of the money, but if the tables are turned, they don't have any hesitation in pleading human rights, or whatever. Give them back their freedom, or a gun, and they'd repeat the offense or open fire immediately.

If pirates came under return fire every time they attempted to take a ship, piracy would quickly stop.
Chris
I'm a working shipping journo, and run a website called ShippingTV . . .
http://www.shippingtv.co.uk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk