Author Topic: Solent Distress?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline tjg04

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Solent Distress?
« on: December 24, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
Merry Christmas all,

Not a ship spotter as such, but thought that you may be able to shed some light on this for me. Early this morning at around 2:30AM I was woken by the sound of a ships horn. It was giving 7 short blasts and one long, repeatedly. My vague memories of ferry trips tell me this is a ship's general alarm? It seemed to go on for a while, perhaps 20 mins? I live in Titchfield, UK, it's between Portsmouth and Southampton, about 2km from the coast, I checked on the news and twitter but can't find anything about it. I'm just interested really, to know if anything was going on, or if this is a fairly common occurrence. I'm can regularly hear the fog horns at night but I've never heard this one before. Can any of you wise people help me?

Regards,

Offline B.Clark

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
Re: Solent Distress?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
possibly a cruise ship from Southampton calling new passengers to mandatory lifeboat drill, which must be carried out within 24 hours of embarking

Offline Albly

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
I doubt that it was a cruise ship carrying out the mandatory lifeboat drill at 0230 in the shmorning. If that was the case then it is not a cruise line I would like to sail with.

Perhaps it was a merry member of a ships crew having some "FUN" with his crewmates or a merchant ships captain carrying out his mandatory lifeboat drill.

Regards

Albly 

Offline davidships

• Webmaster
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 11:43:26 PM »
Looking at the AIS movements at about that time, inbound 5782teu CMA-CGM ROSSINI was entering Southampton Water at the same time as outbound coastal tanker ASPERITY was pulling off the southerly inside berth at Fawley.

Looks as if there might have been a close-quarter situation at 0230.

http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/historymap.php?map=solent&hh=2&mm=30&date=20111224
http://www.aisliverpool.org.uk/historymap.php?map=Fawley&hh=2&mm=20&date=20111224
(I cannot seem to get a Marinetraffic track for ASPERITY for that period)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk