Author Topic: Ships Details not always there ?  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Justin G Smith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ships Details not always there ?
« on: December 08, 2011, 04:56:33 PM »
Could someone tell me how to get ships details (when built, GRT etc) to come up with the pictures ?
As an example I found out when Meera was launched half an hour ago, but now no details are present !
Am I doing something wrong, am I going mad ? ! ?

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ships Details not always there ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 05:03:16 PM »
Justin,

The ship details are automatically generated by linking to the ship's IMO number. If the member does not add an IMO number when uploading, the details will not be generated. Alternatively, members can add their own ship data to the photo details dection, especially if the IMO number is not known or not relevant.

I hope that answers your question.

Brgds
Phil

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 06:17:44 PM »

Imo numbers can be found at: http://www.equasis.org or http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/

Cheers Fred

Offline Justin G Smith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:18:32 PM »
Justin,

The ship details are automatically generated by linking to the ship's IMO number. If the member does not add an IMO number when uploading, the details will not be generated. Alternatively, members can add their own ship data to the photo details dection, especially if the IMO number is not known or not relevant.

I hope that answers your question.

Brgds
Phil

Thanks for that Phil.
The thing I don`t understand is that, for example, "Meera" has an IMO number, yet no details are present. What`s more, unless I`ve got a false memory (I am off work with a cold ! ), the details were there earlier !
As an experiment I looked at Queen Mary 2`s pictures and no details came up there either.
I must be missing something obvious, I`m just not sure what !

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 08:45:34 PM »
Justin,

I've looked at photos of the Meera and QM2 and details are present. What specific photos are you looking at? If you copy and paste the URL links I can check them out.

Are you logged in when you try to view the photos?

Brgds
Phil

Offline Justin G Smith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:41:58 AM »
Justin,

I've looked at photos of the Meera and QM2 and details are present. What specific photos are you looking at? If you copy and paste the URL links I can check them out.

Are you logged in when you try to view the photos?

Brgds
Phil

Hello Phil.
I am logged in, at least I think I am, I`m getting a cheery "Hello Justin G Smith" message anyway ! This is the URL :
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/search.php?query=mEERA&x=36&y=15
I got to it by entering MEERA into the search box.
Just out of interest Meera was one of the ships I spotted on a tour round Rotterdam docks on the 29th Nov.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:22:44 AM »
Justin,

Thanks - that link takes me to a photo search results page, not a specific photo. When I click on the specific photos in those results, the ship details show up, as you would expect.

The search results page is just a list of thumbnails. You're not expecting to see ship details in the search results page, or are you?

Brgds
Phil

Offline Justin G Smith

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »
Justin,

Thanks - that link takes me to a photo search results page, not a specific photo. When I click on the specific photos in those results, the ship details show up, as you would expect.

The search results page is just a list of thumbnails. You're not expecting to see ship details in the search results page, or are you?

Brgds
Phil

Ahh that`s it Phil ! I didn`t realise that details would only come up when only viewing one picture as opposed to what I erroneously thought was the index.
I knew I`d be missing something obvious, credit, and thanks, to you for finding it though !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk