Author Topic: 1 Million Photos  (Read 67395 times)

Ron

Re: 1 Million Photos
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »
I agree with Fred, and there is to much garbage on the site.

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 03:55:40 PM »
Hm.. just a few thoughts here  ;D

About "we" feeling getting lost in the site. I do of course not know the reason for this, but there is one thing, I have learned (or is it just me, in far away Switzerlnd?): "We" - feeling comes only when you are active !!

That means, making comments on photos, making contact to people. A comment like "Beautiful photo" or such, might perhaps not be a real high-end professional comment, but it can lead to something, like a contact, for fellow hobbyists. Now, I have seen, that some people like to do this, and it's nice to have a contact. Some others, are not bothered by this, and they are not interested a bit, in conversation, exchanging topics about photography and such. This is their own thing of course, but those ones - complaining that there is no "we"-feeling ? Then perhaps time, to get a bit active in a social way ?  :o

About too much "garbage" on the site, I think this is best forwarded to webmaster, so perhaps the process of selection by admins can be changed. Of course we try, to keep any garbage away from the site, but if there is a need to adjust rules, of course, such can be considered.

Of course there is not anything wrong, if someone decides that this site is not nice anymore. There are hundreds of possibility, provided by the internet, and I think, there is one that fits, for everyone !!! Most important is, that you do find a way, to be satisfied with how you are doing your hobby, and perhaps, if you do really not find any suitable site, forum etc., you have a brand new idea, to create something, just right for you.

There is always something, that is not perfect. I had spent alot of time, being creative with bad language, because the new system was a bit hard for me, but in the end, it's good. Not perfect, but good.

Just some members make me smile, and they are the ones who go on about, deleting photos, never post again, and in the end, they come back and keep on posting  ;D ;D ;D ;D This makes me giggle, because I think then, in the end, it is not at all as bad, as it is looking !!

So, I think - we are on a good way, with our photos here. For the rest, who is not satisfied, I wish they might find a way of satisfaction themselfes, and continue a happy hobby life  :)

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
Well Cornelia, maybe you haven't noticed, I used to be very active on the site.
And it means something when people like Hans leave the site and remove 12.000 photos.
Something to think about.

Cheers Fred
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 04:18:09 PM by Fred Vloo »

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 04:22:56 PM »
Hm.. Fred, what does it mean otherwise, that someone does not like the site anymore ?

There is nothing wrong with that ! We all do not have to have the same likes and dislikes, so - if something is not good, it is best to go, and find a way, that he likes.

I think, it is not so dramatic, because there are still many active members on this site, and it has to be tolerated, that you can not do it right for everyone, all the time.

Of course, could be too, (who knows?) that one time I will have enough of this site here, but then, well, I simply should move on, and find my own personal way.

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 04:26:03 PM »
Thank you Cornelia, guess I move on too.

Offline Michael van der Meer

• Top Poster
  • Supervisor Regional Operations Centre @ HMM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 05:27:42 PM »
I am regularly visiting Shipspotting.com and now and then upload some pictures as well, however I noticed and as I am reading other threads, many other people as well
do not like to upload too much anymore as some pictures are being considered for deletion immediately or after a few years (!) if there's even a small tiny 'issue' with the picture. Examples that a small piece of the bow/stern not visible while it's a beautiful picture....horizon maybe not levelled completely.

Many people do their best to make and take the effort to upload their pictures and share it with the rest of the world and they are being 'punished' by very strict site standards.

Also a picture of a superstructure could be very interesting for visitors, while the only words in the comments field being 'Full ships only'....

It's clear this website should not become a garbage can and should have standards, but a little bit more flexibility and allowance to 'non-100% perfect' pictures would be appreciated by everyone.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:29:19 PM by Michael van der Meer »
Michael van der Meer

All posts, views, comments etc., are my own.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 06:46:06 PM »
I am talking to the ShipSpotting.Com concept and not a single person!
This is 1 (one) of Your problems.

Yeah, I can tell You what Your problem is.For the first i will congratulate You with Your new website.It is very nice afterall.

But Your problem is Your stiffness and arrogance according to the members.For example You can send me privat messages instead of confront me here in the forum.If that is not some kind of arrogance.Well, what is arrogance then.Please, let me know!

Yeah, You have to many Kings on this site, eventually.You are all covered with ADMIN MY THIS AND ADMIN MY THAT.TOPPOSTER and WEBMASTER ***** E.T.C.Many of You also have a lot of stars surrounded around Your neck *****.

Ehhhh..Hello!

Can`t You really not see there is something wrong with the picture?

Everytime I see Ken Smith i get a shock.He looks like a brigadeer general from the second world war!
People are afraid of You and all of Your titles!

Come on!!! We live in the 2011 soon.People will not allow this tyrani any longer.Do You think we are complete fools out here?

That is one of the things You have to get rid of..Yeah, Your hieraci on this site is no good anylonger.And it does not fit in anylonger in our time.

People want to be equal.And people are equal!!!

If You wanna have Your Photo Standards on this site.Well, don`t show it with tyrani!!!

Yeah, start to cry, cant you.

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=&uid=3166&orderby=hitsD
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »
Hehe, yes, its falling sharply, better alert cnn. Start behaving like an adult and dont attack people for how they look, how goddamn stupid are you, really?

I aint pleased with how this site is developing either, but trolling like you are doing here...

Well, feel free to make a fool of  youself even more, i dont care.

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2010, 07:51:04 PM »
I myself have no problem with the sitestandards I am a big fan of quality, straight horizons and only whole ships, why is it such a problem to straighten your horizons or to shoot whole ships? There is nothing wrong with the admin team too. So trolling about them is such a waste of time and soooo 2009.
Have a nice Sunday evening
Fred

Offline Tomas

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2010, 07:59:04 PM »
"Even me". Thanx alot, that was nice of you!
Have a fine evening.

Offline Allan RO

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 08:40:42 PM »
Hi all

I was not going to post again, but here it is.

A few weeks ago I saw a photo in the 'considered for deletion' category.  The photo was of a vessel with considerable history and I added a comment detailing why it should be retained.  By next morning it was gone, no PM to me explaining why.  My comments had been completely ignored.   When this was raised and discussed in the forum, which ruffled a few feathers, I was fobbed off several times and my questions never answered.   The resultant totalitarian answer to the problem was that the 'considered for deletion' category was then made available to Admins only.   What a great step forward in the openness of the site.   So much for democracy, and you wonder why people are leaving the site.........it's now unregulated deletion and members deleting their own as they are fed up with the way the site has gone.

Allan

« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:46:00 PM by Dr. Allan Ryszka-Onions »

Offline Fred Vloo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 09:42:45 PM »
I agree with you Allan, this is not acceptable.

Offline Dave van Spronsen

• Photo Administrator
  • Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »
I think, it is not so dramatic, because there are still many active members on this site, and it has to be tolerated, that you can not do it right for everyone, all the time.

I think it's a problem that members are leaving the website,
In de beginning the where around 500-600 uploads for one day now it's only around the 300 pics
HansE has upload around 12,000 pics all deleted,
but we forget,
Marieann from Antwerp also 10,000 is gone ,
Haroship more than 10,000 pics is gone,.
Miraflores not uploading many pictures anymore.
So yes it's a problem that we lose members and pictures.

First of all HansE is not stopped because of the deleting discussion ,but because of the website.
For example one of HansE point

The topphotos in the last 24 hours
Picture with the most hits for the 24 hours everyone how see the pics more and more hits.but the other pictures that been uploading are never gonna gets so many hits on the pics.
So why not the 3 last pictures that been uploading so everyone can be for 5 min on the main page so everyone can see the pics
And everytime the three pics are changing in the last uploads.

Dave
Admin for Containerships

Offline Cornelia Klier

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 10:13:55 PM »
So, I am not yet getting quiet I see  ;D

It is true, that not yet the ones, who have been complaining, have had a real idea, of how and what to make better. But, such is always welcome !

About top photos:

I, myself have been wondering: Why some photos get so quick to the top ? Someone doing a trick ? (linking the photo externally etc.?) Of course, then I think, oh my, everyone likes to see these old buckets and they get all the views.. what about my brand new carcarrier ??  ;D ;D Hehe I am laughing here, because first, this thought comes. SECOND: Hey, come on - such thought is quite childish, to get yourself disturbed because of some thought, which can be put down to "how unfair, I want to be on that list too". OK, I put such aside, simply because: Does it really mean so much to be on that top-photo list ? Isn't it much more fun, to go out, take the photos, enjoy enhancing them on computer, and finally upload them, and share them ?

Although I agree: Getting rid of the top photo thing, and instead, have every uploaded photo is an idea, too. Otherwise, if there is an incident, and the photo, showing this, is up on the top-photos, nothing wrong with this.

Now, Derek:
I read: The Website is getting bigger. Is this evidence, that it does get bigger ? Because this is just oppisite of what some say - that members are leaving. Or is it so, that some are leaving, and some new ones are coming ? I have recently seen some names here, of people who do - like me - upload as well at vesseltracker. they just came here, are uploading photos, and hopefully enjoying the site.

Now, how is the numbers - leaving, and new arriving members ?

OK, one idea when some say, the site gets too big, and we used to have contacts with people.

Is it possible, to have a kind of little program, that does allow us to have a personal friend list in our profile ? This would be very easy. It would be a nice thing, on weekend - look the friendlist, browse their photos. Such, could perhaps help, not to let the site get too un-personal.

Now, some questions, thoughts and ideas !

Let's get constructive !!! ;D

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 10:33:19 PM »
I don't know the full story but it seems a bit drastic that someone should delete their photos just because they do not like some features of the new site. After all, there is forum category where new site suggestions and comments can be discussed. I don't recall anyone mentioning the kind of issue Dave describes.

As for the deletions issue, these is really getting a bit tedious. Admins have discussed it and it was agreed that changes need to be made, hence Ken's announcement last week. But let me say this. Admins are not infallible and mistakes are sometimes made. Not all admins think the same way and not all agree that photos placed in the considered for deletions category should necessarily be deleted. The decision to have the deletions category open to admins only is purely so that dirty linen is not aired in public. Rest assured that when photos are placed in that category, there will be more watchful eyes looking at them to ensure that anything worthy and posted in the spirit of the site, whether it is of historical or other special interest, or just a good photo that infringes the site standards on a technicality, are as much as possible retained. That's not to say that mistakes still won't be made, but as Ken says, there will be a lightening up of the deletions policy. Only a very small percentage of photos are deleted anyway.

Fortunatly, a lot of members are still posting and it seems that only a minority complain. I enjoy this site now as much as I did in the earlier days and I find the new site much better than the old one. I find myself communicating with more members, the last photo comment feature being a real boon.

But, you can't please all the people all of the time. You have to accept people will come and go, we are not perfect, but we are still the best shipping enthusiast site on the net.

Brgds
Phil

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk