Author Topic: Australia  (Read 5508 times)

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
Australia
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:02:19 PM »
I am planning to visit Australia again late in 2011/early 2012 and I am planning to go to Western Australia before flying across to New South Wales. It won't be a purely ship photo trip, but I would like to do some 'spotting' while I am out there.
Where are the best vantage points in Freemantle and also in New South Wales? I've been to Sydney before but didn't do any ship-spotting at all, apart from photographing and riding on the famous harbour ferries. I won't be hiring a car to get around in, too expensive, so I'd like to find places which are easily accessible by public transport.

Cheers
Faith

Battlestar

Re: Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
G'Day Faith

I don't know about NSW, but in Fremantle there are three places. North and South Moles, and the Victoria Quay ferry terminal. Access to most of Fremantle harbour is restricted.

You can see an overview of the port at

http://www.fremantleports.com.au/

maps of the harbour are at

http://www.fremantleports.com.au/About/Maps.asp

Hope this is helpful.

Ian (Battlestar)

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 06:33:28 PM »
Very helpful, Ian, thanks.  :)

Offline Peter Karberg

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:16:11 PM »
Hello Faith

Port Kembla is a two hour train ride south of Sydney. Christy Drive is a great vantage point with good views of most of the berths and movements through the cut which is the channel between the inner & outer harbours. Both seawalls are also great places to watch arrivals and departures. The eastern wall is in good proximity of the train staion. It closes to the public in rough weather and for maintanence at times.

The main city is Wollongong which is on the rail line. The whole region is called The Illawarra which you can find out about on the web.

The port site is: www.kemblaport.com.au

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:22:12 PM by Peter Karberg »

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
Thanks Peter. All good info.  :)

As an aside, I have less-than-pleasant memories of Wollongong last year. I was supposed to go on a pelagic birdwatching trip which got cancelled because of gales and high seas. Walking from the Greyhound bus stop to the hostel in the teeth of a force 8 and torrential rain, I have never been so wet in my life! Even my bag and its contents were wet through. Grim. :P  :o
I hope it'll be a better trip next year!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:33:56 PM by Faith_J »

Clydee

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »
Hi Faith

Circular Quay, including the Cahill Expressway accessed by lift, is the spot for Cruise ships in port.  Check the Sydney ports web site, including this http://www.sydneyports.com.au/port_operations/cruise_schedule

Cruise ships can also be photographed from near the National Maritime Museum at Darling Harbour on the edge of the CBD

Bradleys Head can be reached by the Taronga Zoo ferry and a 20 minute walk.  Keep the water on your right

Middle Head is a 10 minute walk from (shore establishment) HMAS Penguin reached from the Chowder Bay bus from Queen Victoria Building/Wynyard in the city.   Headland Park is a 10 minute walk along Suakin Drive from the same bus.

Enjoy your visit
Clyde
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:12:11 AM by Clyde Dickens »

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »
Thanks Clyde.

Offline Cody Williams

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • ~Ydoc~ on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »
Hi Faith,

Newcastle is a great place to get all the big ships, mostly bulk carriers with an average loa of 215m. The two best places for shipspotting in Newcastle is along the cycleway just west Griffith Park. The second best location is Nobbys Head. Both of these locations are no more then 750m from Newcastle train station. You'll need to catch the ferry over to Griffith Park.

http://www.131500.com.au/plan-your-trip/trip-planner/@@map?trip=2&leg=1&tps=ULTJP21_82340437

Kind Regards
Cody  :)

Offline Ship's Cat

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ship-Photo
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
Thanks Cody, that's good info.  :)

Offline Bob Prins

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »
Hi Faith J,

I am happy to show you the sites I use around Fremantle.
All are readily accessible to the public and most you can wander around on to improve the view of a ship, lighting etc.
Ian has mentioned 3 below. There are two more that I also use occasionally.

I would also be happy to drive you around the moles (there are no busses there).

If you are interested, email me and I will pass on my contact details here.

Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk