Author Topic: Log book  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Theodore Tugboat

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Log book
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »
Hello all,
I recently met a charming elderly man. He is not able to do much, but he does have a telescope in his room and a beautiful view of the St Laurence River. He watches the ship traffic up and back. He told me he has a reference book to identify the ships. He told me he would like to log the ships as they pass by but he has no log book.

I would like to make a gift of one to him. Can someone make a suggestion of what would be useful for this purpose? Is there a specific shipspotting "format" commercially available?

thanks in advance.

Offline Phil English

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Log book
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:23:56 AM »
When I started out shipspotting many years ago, I used a cheap pocket notebook bought from the local stationery store to log ships as they passed. Everyone else I know did the same.

I am not sure what else would be needed?

Cheers
Phil

Offline Steve Geronazzo

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/steve911/navires (Collection of best photos)
Re: Log book
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »
As Phil said, I don't think a log book for shipspotting exists. Perhaps one could be made using EXCEL or WORD, printed and then placed in a binder.

If I had a little more information perhaps I could help in this little venture to give this man a log book.

We are organizing a meeting of the Saint Lawrence River Shipspotters later this summer... perhaps we could invite him...

Steve Geronazzo
Photo administrator for Great Lakes Bulkers and subcategories.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk