Author Topic: what about spotting on the Suez Canal ?...  (Read 8339 times)

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
what about spotting on the Suez Canal ?...
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »
Egypt is quite a popular torist destination (both for "towns, monuments, museums" - Cairo, Luxor, etc. and "seaside resorts" type tourism - Hurdgarda, etc., also Nile cruises are quite popular)...

what about possible spotting on the Suez Canal ?...

what would be best locations ?...
(preferably with reasonably priced hotel close to the canal and in location, where cross-canal ferry or bridge is available to change the sides of the canal with sun travelling)

what would be best time of the year?

what is the intensity of the ship traffic - how many ships one would expect to see during one day or one week ?...

would it be safe to sit whole days with some photo equipment somewhere on the bank of the canal ?...
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline Dmitry Rostopshin

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
    • World of lighthouses
Re: what about spotting on the Suez Canal ?...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:42:38 PM »
I heard all around Suez is high security area with guards, no photographs available there.
Admin of categories: Buoy/Lighthouse Maintenance % Lightships, Cement Carriers,
Collecting photos of lighthouses

Offline IACSman

• Home away from home
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »
Hi!
You should check out this page:

http://www.suezcanal.gov.eg/

This is the official page, which contains tons of statistics(they have an average of 50 ships in transit pr day, in July 2010).

However, be aware that military presence is strong on both sides of the canal, and before taking any photos, I would definetly do everything to seek a permit for photos if you plan to take a lot of pictures.

Good luck!
It's not a requirement to be crazy to be a seaman, but it helps

Offline polsteam

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://ships.greenet.pl/photo
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:08:14 AM »
does anyone know if it is a pilot station with pilot boats or some kind of law enforcement unit station with patrol boats (eg. police or army or coast guard) ?...

http://maps.google.pl/maps?ll=30.946103,32.312443&spn=0.001394,0.002741&t=h&z=19&lci=com.panoramio.all
despite using "polsteam" for my nick I have NO personal (professional) or business connections with the company of the same name

Offline Glenn Towler

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »
There must be some way to take photos from the shore at the suez canal as I have seen lots of photos from the shore of ships tranisting the canal on Webshots.

Glenn

Offline Michael Martin

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:42:32 PM »
Well, you can stay at the Hotel Sonesta Port Said in Part Said, Egypt at the north entrance to the canal and take pictures from your hotel room and who can object?

Offline Peter S. aus N

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
Dear polsteam,
I was many times on the suezchanal for spotting. It is definetely the best place for shipspotting in the world a lot of large vessels comes in a short time but it is also a dangerous place. you are secure with your eqiipment not problem for you. there is a lot of police and secure police around and these people are not very friendliy.  .On christmas 2008 I was one day in prison by the police because I took photos at suez channel in Ismaeliya. If you want to go there please send me a pm I will write you then some interesting details
peter
I'm far away from the sea to Hamburg I have a longer distance as to Venice or Genova.
My favorite is the Suezchannel, Panamacannal  and since 2006 also Chinese harbours. I've a lot of pictures and I don't show them because here at shipspotting.com is a copyright problem

Offline mara

• Top Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »
I've been couple of times to all three cities (Port Said, Suez, Ismailiya) and the last one has the worst position for photographing and hiking around. In Port Said you won

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk