Author Topic: Help needed to identify recovered wreck remains  (Read 2579 times)

Offline John Latter

• Just can't stay away
  • Evolution, Psychology, Social Psychology
    • View Profile
    • Images of Dover
Help needed to identify recovered wreck remains
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:09:22 AM »
Hi,

Can anyone identify, or confirm, what the objects in this photo are:

There's an anchor coming in from centre-left below which is an object with a rectangular face-plate.

A crew member on the barge carrying the remains said it was an "engine rocker". I've done some googling but probably didn't use the right keywords because I'm still none the wiser.

The crew member said the section above the anchor shank is the curved arch of the wreck's stern, with the vertical section on the right being the bottom of the keel above which (ie to the left) the rudder was once fixed.

The chap also said that other members of the crew thought the squat L-shaped item at top left may be the top of the rudder post (ie the rudder once lay between it and the bottom of the keel to the right).

Can anyone help, please?   :-)

John Latter / Jorolat

Per K

Re: Help needed to identify recovered wreck remains
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:34:49 PM »
Hi John

I think you will find the answer to one of your questions at page 64 at this url: http://www.hnsa.org/doc/merchant/engineering/part3.htm

I think the rod with the two arms must be part of the "Stepenson link valve gear".

Kind regards
Per

Offline John Latter

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Images of Dover
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 04:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the link, Per  :-)  

I've studied the diagram 'til I went slightly cross-eyed but I can't make head or tail of it (in terms of where the rod in the photo might go, that is).

The text gave me some better keywords to use when googling, however, although I still haven't had any luck.

The wreck the object is from is an 1890s cargo ship. It may be I'll just have to say the rod is "part of the engine", but it would be nice to be able to say a little more!

John

Per K

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 05:15:26 PM »
Hi again John :-)

On the diagram of the engine at page 64, you can see a cross beam (banana shaped irons) going between or connecting rod "C" and "D". I believe these are the two bars/beams that you have on your photo with one of the two eccentric rods between them.
They were used to control the go-ahead or go-astern motion on steam engines. One eccentric rod is set to control the valve for go-ahead motion and the other eccentric is set to control the valve for go-astern motion.

It's a bit difficult to explain this not being able to point at the parts on an engine, but I hope you get the picture :-)

Brg
Per

Offline John Latter

• Just can't stay away
    • View Profile
    • Images of Dover
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »
I finally see what you mean, Per, thank you - I'm now off to see what else I can find out about the "Stephenson Link"!

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk